2014 Regular Season Snap Counts, Trends, & Roster Thoughts

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Dude, it's been three years since Arians coached in Pittsburgh. Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich were Roethlisberger's understudies.

True-----and both of them are probably healthier, and less injury prone than Palmer or Stanton. Just saying, unless you want another year of Lindley finishing for the Cards, BA might consider replacing Stanton if Palmer remains our #1.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt they get rid of Stanton. BA seems to really like him and it would be hard to replace him with a solid backup that knows the system. I still think Stanton is a good backup QB.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt they get rid of Stanton. BA seems to really like him and it would be hard to replace him with a solid backup that knows the system. I still think Stanton is a good backup QB.

I think that you are right and that Stanton will return. He has one year left on his current contract. The real question, for me, is who will be the 3rd qb. Will it be Thomas or Lindley or get another qb in the draft or free agency.

My concern is that Palmer is coming off a major injury and Stanton has shown to be injury prone. IMO the Cards need to address the qb situation in the off season.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
even with palmer healthy this offense had difficult to put more then 20 points for game
honestly our stats doesnt look good
i dont know which area we need to improve more(qb, tigh-end, interior line ,wrs or playcalling)
but if we produce offensively like this next season we dont have any chance

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
so u suggest better fit for beasley and also striker should be ILB?

Yes. Washington was an edge player at TCU and was moved inside for the Cards 3-4. I believe that is where those smaller edge guys fit best in this defense. That is also backked up by recent history. Cardinals have not had an OLB under 250 or an ILB over 245 (other than Brinkley) in the past 3 or 4 years.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True-----and both of them are probably healthier, and less injury prone than Palmer or Stanton. Just saying, unless you want another year of Lindley finishing for the Cards, BA might consider replacing Stanton if Palmer remains our #1.

Palmer and Stanton are injury prone? This is a new development. Now, if you want to talk about injury prone, Byron Leftwich is injury prone, the guy has missed about 40 games due to injury. And Charlie Batch is on the wrong side of 40 and hasn't played in two years. As for Palmer, this is only the second time he has lost any real time due to injury and the last time was in 2008. And you can't call a career backup, who have never really played, injury prone. You don't know what he is.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Another great post.

Your snap count and usage stats are one of my favorite posts on this board.

Agree with most, but not all, however (of course!):

Under no circumstance should Housler be resigned. I'm even trying to find a caveat and cannot. Under no circumstance. If this is the best he can do after, I don't even know, how many years now, then no. Please no.

Disagree entirely with Fitz. He's being used in the most F'd up way possible given his talent, yet it helps the team, as I posted elsewhere, because of the attention he draws to the middle of the field. I still believe he can be used outside. Brown dropped some huge balls, all year, running outs and square in's that Fitz can make and run with more precision. Fitz doesn't drop those crucial balls. Just doesn't. I do agree he probably doesn't have the speed as a Brown, or ability to cut without losing momentum or speed, but Brown isn't the route runner of Fitz. He doesn't have the body positioning of Fitz, nor does he have the hands.

Why get rid of Drew Stanton? I get the injury concerns, but that's after starting much more than he was expected to. It's not just that he doesn't have the reps for a starter, which is enough, but he doesn't even understand the protections or have the cohesiveness with the offensive line that a starter should have. He's done above average for a back up. He's 5-3, starting, as a backup. What more could you want? Seriously, what more? He's basically the best backup I could imagine, unless we're going to go way back before salary cap and free agency.

Agree with most of the rest of it. Love your posts dude.

(Edit: would like to add, your analysis of TM is spot on, he's not the same player as he was last year. Not close)

re: Housler...I understand we don't like the production we have gotten from him. I understand he doesn't fit in what we ask our TEs to do in most of our offense. That being said, I would rather pay him to be our 3rd or 4th TE who brings an entirely different set of skills at a low cost, than going out and wasting a draft pick to do the same thing.

re: Fitzgerald...what has to be considered is what you can do with the 9 mil saved by cutting him vs the upgrade he brings over Brown, Brown, and Ellington. It is not a decision I would like to make, but it may be best for the team. If he takes a pay cut, do it, and keep him on the roster. But if Fitz plays hardball, I think we can make up the difference and more with the money saved.

re: Stanton...First off, you are more than likely right and Stanton will stay. Honestly, I'm not sure there is a better option available. However, it doesn't hide the fact that he was sporadic as a starter, and was knocked out of two games that he started. That isn't what you need from your backup QB. Also, the protection has been pretty good this year, so it is not like he was getting pummelled.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Palmer and Stanton are injury prone? This is a new development. Now, if you want to talk about injury prone, Byron Leftwich is injury prone, the guy has missed about 40 games due to injury. And Charlie Batch is on the wrong side of 40 and hasn't played in two years. As for Palmer, this is only the second time he has lost any real time due to injury and the last time was in 2008. And you can't call a career backup, who have never really played, injury prone. You don't know what he is.

Stanton is, and his history in the NFL backs that up.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
next year to really compete for a SB -

-the team needs to be far more efficient on offense. In addition -- they will be counting on a QB that has had his left knee reconstructed twice. To me, that says focusing on improving the offensive line / running game might be the most important priority.

A better OL turned Tony Romo from interception prone December choker into a QB that lead his team to a 12 win division championship and a 113 qb rating (a 16% improvement over career rating).

I get the need for more athletic players at LB -- but to me, getting a running game that defenses have to really account for would go a long way to getting this offense to its potential.
Agreed 100%. While passing rules, you don't advance if your not balanced. The teams in the playoffs are ALL TOO GOOD to be reliant on just the pass.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
next year to really compete for a SB -

-the team needs to be far more efficient on offense. In addition -- they will be counting on a QB that has had his left knee reconstructed twice. To me, that says focusing on improving the offensive line / running game might be the most important priority.

A better OL turned Tony Romo from interception prone December choker into a QB that lead his team to a 12 win division championship and a 113 qb rating (a 16% improvement over career rating).

I get the need for more athletic players at LB -- but to me, getting a running game that defenses have to really account for would go a long way to getting this offense to its potential.

I started this reply saying that Arians' offenses aren't efficient by design, but I looked at the advanced metrics for the Steelers years (2009-2011), and they were an exceptional passing offense. Don't know what the disconnect has been here so far.

Stanton is, and his history in the NFL backs that up.

That's true. He missed the first 4 games of his 2nd year (2009) with a knee injury, and the last game of the season with an ankle. The next year (2010), he missed the final two games with a shoulder injury.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
So reading what everybody has posted lately the Cards need to in no particular order:
1.Resolve the Fitz situation
2.Restructure Docketts deal
3.Get another RB to ease load on Ellington etc
4.If Fitz leaves upgrade WR
5.Find a QB for the future in case Thomas flops
6.Draft or sign upgrafe at OG to replace Fanaika
7.Draft or sign a quality CB to play across from PP.actually a couple of CBs )
8.Find a safety who can cover (draft or FA)
9.Find more pass rushers
10.Find some ILB who can stuff the run
11.upgrade punter
12.upgrade return game.
13.improve special teams
14fix salary cap issues
15.upgrade interior OLINE
16 any others?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I started this reply saying that Arians' offenses aren't efficient by design, but I looked at the advanced metrics for the Steelers years (2009-2011), and they were an exceptional passing offense. Don't know what the disconnect has been here so far.

the Steelers did average better than 4 yards a carry and 115 yards a game rushing in each of those years.

Interestingly, Roethlisburger's QB ratings were something like 90, 95 and 100 each of those years --- very solid ratings, but not Manning or Rogers like

Arians did have the benefit of building off of a culture and philosophy around running the football -- so the running stats may be as much byproduct rather than causation.

I just think "older, less mobile qb" who has shown that if given good protection can be very productive just screams for a top notch offensive line and a productive running game.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My concern is this.

If Palmer does not or cannot return to 100% next year is this team really going to depend on Stanton as our QB for 2015?

We need to acquire a potentially capable qb for that scenario and beyond 2015. It doesn't have to be a big name. I would prefer a young up and down type guy. Keeping in mind the potential ability of both the player and this coaching staff.

Mike Glennon
Kirk Cousins
Mark Sanchez

Of the 3 Glennon is the guy that best fits an Arian type of QB.

The other 2 guys could give Stanton a run for his and create a competition for the 2nd string.

I really believe the Cards will go after Glennon. They tried before. The Buc have a shot at Mariotta and for whatever reason are not enamoured with Glennon.
This kid has the same career qb rating (albeit a short one) as Palmer and has thrown twicw as many TD's as ints. on what many could consider the worst team in the league.

I love Palmer, but he is 35 years old. A long range solution really needs to be considered. I don't want to think Logan Thomas is the answer.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great thread. Great work on all the stats. It's crazy to think how important Larry Foote was to our D this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson