2014 Off Season Thread

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Like LaRussa says, it's not won on paper it's won out on the field.

SF is due for their off year let down again.

The pen is solid this year. There could be some surprises among the starters, it will be a good competition. If there aren't results they'll sit.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just saw on AZ Central sports, ARZ is finalizing a new TV deal worth north of a BILLION DOLLARS! Yet the club felt the need to trim payroll and field a minor league team this season. They just added more fuel for my anger.

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Just saw on AZ Central sports, ARZ is finalizing a new TV deal worth north of a BILLION DOLLARS! Yet the club felt the need to trim payroll and field a minor league team this season. They just added more fuel for my anger.

I am not too upset with the management because they really were in a bad spot from what they inherited from Kevin Towers. I also think it is foolish to overpay free agents like James Shields, Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval just to get to 80 wins. However, they should make a big splash and overpay for Yoan Moncada to get him in the system so that he will be ready in a couple of years when we are ready to compete.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not too upset with the management because they really were in a bad spot from what they inherited from Kevin Towers. I also think it is foolish to overpay free agents like James Shields, Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval just to get to 80 wins. However, they should make a big splash and overpay for Yoan Moncada to get him in the system so that he will be ready in a couple of years when we are ready to compete.

Agree with this

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying ARZ should have pursued the big ticket FA's but dealing away Miley to avoid arbitration and not willing to sign a veteran C like Soto (or some other cheap, proven C) to replace Montero, trying to get their payroll under $90M sends a message loud and clear.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They needed to tear the thing down before they could fix the foundations. I'm not too worried about them not spending moderately to fill a couple of holes when this team is almost certain to lose 90+ games regardless of who plays catcher.

Unless they've got a chance at a young guy with potential (like these Cubans) then I'd just assume they sit on their cash for the moment.

After what we've seen the last few years I actually trust the ownership to be willing to spend, they just need to start being smarter on what they spend it on. Wait for difference makers, stop throwing stop gap contracts to vets.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They needed to tear the thing down before they could fix the foundations. I'm not too worried about them not spending moderately to fill a couple of holes when this team is almost certain to lose 90+ games regardless of who plays catcher.

Unless they've got a chance at a young guy with potential (like these Cubans) then I'd just assume they sit on their cash for the moment.

After what we've seen the last few years I actually trust the ownership to be willing to spend, they just need to start being smarter on what they spend it on. Wait for difference makers, stop throwing stop gap contracts to vets.
I understand this team is going to be terrible, there is no sugar coating it. It's the message given off that irks me. Miley would undoubtedly be the staff ace until Corbin returns. He was a young, LHP they traded off because they didn't want to pay him $7M a year? TLR said a couple of days ago that games aren't won on paper and that he expects this team to be better than last year. Not when you trade your best available , healthiest SP for a couple of unproven SP's and go with an unknown starting C. They expect people to pay money to watch this team "compete"?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...and go with an unknown starting C.
I wouldn't fret too much about Tuffy as our starting Catcher. They say he is a great handler of pitchers and he is good at throwing out baserunners.

There have been plenty of successful teams in the history of baseball whose Catcher couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag, but made a huge difference when his team was on the field (a full half of the game).

Besides, how much worse could he be batting eighth than Didi was?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Tuffy has been named the starting catcher.

:barf:

Well, there weren't any good options on the roster and it sounded like the front office felt that the trade options were to expensive. The other 7 players in the lineup are going to need to hit a lot to cover up for Tuffy and the pitcher.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA