2014 English Premier League Opening Day

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Tottenham getting a late winner with 10 men, Leicester managing a draw with Everton, Man U. going down. Interesting opener indeed.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Arsenal cutting that one way too close. Credit to Crystal Palace for being pretty solid on defense during open play. We had a real tough time breaking them down.

Arsenal are the only home team to win today.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Crazy considering they lost their manager just 2 days ago. Impressive, but maybe this was a classic case of Crystal Palace playing better BECAUSE of the managerial change?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arsenal cutting that one way too close. Credit to Crystal Palace for being pretty solid on defense during open play. We had a real tough time breaking them down.

Arsenal are the only home team to win today.

Ramsey scored minutes after I turned game off out of frustration. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arsenal didn't deserve to win that game. Crystal Palace didn't deserve 0 points. They played it like it was a preseason game. Their final 3rd, especially Cazorla were terrible.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Arsenal didn't deserve to win that game. Crystal Palace didn't deserve 0 points. They played it like it was a preseason game. Their final 3rd, especially Cazorla were terrible.

You must be registered for see images attach

That's the risk you run when you decide to only play defense for 90 minutes.

I agree about Cazorla.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That's the risk you run when you decide to only play defense for 90 minutes.

I agree about Cazorla.

Oh brother. Scoreboard.

Sigh.

I think I am the only Liverpool supporter here and they didn't deserve their win either. Southampton looked the better team for most of the game and to have 0 points was quite harsh.

Both teams will need to look better in order to contend.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sigh.

I think I am the only Liverpool supporter here and they didn't deserve their win either. Southampton looked the better team for most of the game and to have 0 points was quite harsh.

Both teams will need to look better in order to contend.

Pretty sure nobody is arguing that they need to look better. But "deserves" has nothing to do with it. Crystal Palace didn't score more goals than Arsenal. How do they deserve the points? They played well, doesn't mean that Arsenal shouldn't have won the game. They did score more goals, after all.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure nobody is arguing that they need to look better. But "deserves" has nothing to do with it. Crystal Palace didn't score more goals than Arsenal. How do they deserve the points? They played well, doesn't mean that Arsenal shouldn't have won the game. They did score more goals, after all.

Bah. If someone wins by a penalty that shouldn't have been called, they deserved to win because they scored more goals? Come on. Look a little deeper at the game. They didn't play well enough to win 90% of the time. That was good enough for Saturday, but most days it won't be.

Palace was unlucky to not take away a point from that game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bah. If someone wins by a penalty that shouldn't have been called, they deserved to win because they scored more goals? Come on. Look a little deeper at the game. They didn't play well enough to win 90% of the time. That was good enough for Saturday, but most days it won't be.

Palace was unlucky to not take away a point from that game.

That is irrelevant. A penalty? Are you seriously using that? That is completely different than this situation.

I'd say both Arsenal goals had nothing to do with Palace's unluckiness. They were good goals. Crystal Palace only had 2 shots to Arsenal's 11. Arsenal literally beat them in every facet of the game. Not to say Crystal Palace didn't play admirably, their defense was pretty good to let only 2 goals in, one of which was in stoppage. But their offensive output was about what you'd expect.

If anything, Arsenal should have scored a lot more than it did, but Palace did well defensively. Doesn't mean they deserved to win the game. Or even tie, because frankly, you need your offense to play well, and they just didn't have any.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Liverpool Supporter" all we need to say

Sigh. Arsenal is my 2nd favorite team in the league.

I can be objective in what I saw. They werent at their best on either side of the field and lucky to come away with points. They play that poorly later in the year and it will come back to haunt them.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh. Arsenal is my 2nd favorite team in the league.

I can be objective in what I saw. They werent at their best on either side of the field and lucky to come away with points. They play that poorly later in the year and it will come back to haunt them.

:lies: impossible:

They are clearly better. This isn't same team we will see in two weeks or two months.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are clearly better. This isn't same team we will see in two weeks or two months.

Of course they are clearly better. The better team doesn't always win.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hope so. I'd like to see them be clearly better than the 4th team.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lookie there, Arsenal plays in Turkey today. They were dogging it to save energy for today. :)