2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Trip to the CONFED CUP

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The switch between Donovan & Dempsey wasn't a coaching adjustment it was an adjustment based on where the ball was on the field, Adu went out wide...Dempsey pinched in and Donovan made a run from his left...they were cover for each other as they tried to do all game (with little success).

I didn't realize you know more than the announcers, who said it was a coaching adjustment.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I didn't realize you know more than the announcers, who said it was a coaching adjustment.

I was basing it on what I saw going on throughout the match, Dempsey & Donovan were fluid and moving and changing based on what play dictated...thats pretty common with them in USMNT games.

Stout

Reaction score
I was basing it on what I saw going on throughout the match, Dempsey & Donovan were fluid and moving and changing based on what play dictated...thats pretty common with them in USMNT games.

I'll refer back to my original statement. Movement can happen in any given situation, sure, but the announcers kept specifically pointing out that they were purposefully switching back and forth. Not through movement, but through base formation, and that is dictated by the coach.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember one of the commentators saying that he wasn't sure if it was directed from the bench or by Donovan/Dempsey themselves, but I think they switched positions enough times during that game to say they were doing it themselves.

Stout

Reaction score
I remember one of the commentators saying that he wasn't sure if it was directed from the bench or by Donovan/Dempsey themselves, but I think they switched positions enough times during that game to say they were doing it themselves.

I recall them saying that they would switch at times during the flow of play, but would fall back on definite formations. So, while at times Dempsey pushed forward of Donovan, he was mainly back in support.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One thing about Mexico, this is a new type of Mexican player, these guys don't give up and get dirty like previous Mexican teams. In previous years getting them down 2-0 would have resulted in hacking and cards...this group is much more resilient.

More of those players coming up, Mexico U17 WC Champion. It'd be easy to point the finger towards favoritism due to hosting the tournament, but getting through the entire cup, undefeated (all victories) after facing rivals such as Netherlands, France, Germany, and Uruguay, you can't help but be somewhat impressed.

Especially with Barcelona target, Julio Gomez' performance vs Germany.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6748887

Stout

Reaction score
Shzm, I've only watched the very end of the Germany game, but I have to ask...how was that tying goal ever, ever allowed? The Mexican player never touched the ball and gave a flying head-butt to the defender. They said the defender may have gotten his head to the ball otherwise. Taking nothing at all away from that team, of course, because they were tough as nails. Hell, the guy who made the foul had a bloody bandage on his head and still scored one of the best goals I've ever seen for the winner. I just don't know what the refs were thinking allowing that other goal.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shzm, I've only watched the very end of the Germany game, but I have to ask...how was that tying goal ever, ever allowed? The Mexican player never touched the ball and gave a flying head-butt to the defender. They said the defender may have gotten his head to the ball otherwise. Taking nothing at all away from that team, of course, because they were tough as nails. Hell, the guy who made the foul had a bloody bandage on his head and still scored one of the best goals I've ever seen for the winner. I just don't know what the refs were thinking allowing that other goal.

Well, it was allowed because Espericueta nailed the goal straight from the corner. Whether Gomez would be flagged for a foul or not crossed my mind as well, but I don't think it was an intention to take out the defender with a headbutt. I'm sure the official felt the same way. I definitely wouldn't try to take anyone out with the side of my head:

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Reaction score
Well, it was allowed because Espericueta nailed the goal straight from the corner. Whether Gomez would be flagged for a foul or not crossed my mind as well, but I don't think it was an intention to take out the defender with a headbutt. I'm sure the official felt the same way. I definitely wouldn't try to take anyone out with the side of my head:

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh, I'm absolutely certain it was unintentional. He was clearly trying to head the ball. Regardless of whether or not it went in off the corner, and regardless of the fact that it was unintentional, he fouled the defender and impeded him from making the play. It is puzzling that the goal was allowed, that's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave