2006 World Cup

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I thought the French outplayed the Italians for the entire second half and extra time. The Italians controlled the game for nearly the entire first half after they were scored on and then disappeared. The French probably deserved to win the game in regulation but Buffon and the Italian defense held firm.

I just can't believe how stupid Zidane was, I'm curious to hear what was said to Zidane to make him so angry, because he wasn't thinking straight thats for sure.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Renz said:
Marcelo Balboa is horrible. Even Shep Messing is better.

Best pair were Dellacamera(sp?) & Harkes IMO....Dave O'Brien doesn't know squat about soccer and Balboa spends too much time criticizing the ref's and applauding players for selling dives and pulling shirts.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Just got back from my cousin's house, what a game! That was exciting and it's great that the final went all the way. It was horrible how Zidane ended his last game every and I found myself rooting for France a little after that but Zidane deserved what he got. At least he scored a goal. Italy's goalie did a great job again. The only 2 goals he gave up in this tournament were from a penalty kick and an own goal. Damn, I can't imagine losing a game because a shot was about an inch off.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
France blew their chance when they were DOMINATING Italy at the beginning of the 2nd half. They blew sooo many scoring opportunities.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just noticed France & Italy are in the same group for Euro 2008 qualifiers. They will have a rematch in the near future in a match of some significance...September 6 of this year.

Next to the World Cup--the Euros are my favorite tournament, unfortunately the qualifiers aren't televised here and most of the good matches of the actual finals are pay per view, although we get some tape delayed matches.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zeno said:
I just noticed France & Italy are in the same group for Euro 2008 qualifiers. They will have a rematch in the near future in a match of some significance...September 6 of this year.

Next to the World Cup--the Euros are my favorite tournament, unfortunately the qualifiers aren't televised here and most of the good matches of the actual finals are pay per view, although we get some tape delayed matches.

Get DirectTV they have a channel for 13 bucks a month all soccer all the time. Euro, clubs everything. Rugby too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeno said:
I just can't believe how stupid Zidane was, I'm curious to hear what was said to Zidane to make him so angry, because he wasn't thinking straight thats for sure.

From an ESPN article on it.

The Paris-based anti-racism advocacy group SOS-Racism issued a statement Monday quoting "several very well informed sources from the world of football" as saying Materazzi called Zidane a "dirty terrorist." It demanded that FIFA, soccer's world governing body, investigate and take any appropriate action.

FIFA, which reviews all red cards at the World Cup, would not comment on the specifics.

"This is a disciplinary matter now. I can't give any statements now," FIFA spokesman Markus Siegler said.

Materazzi, meanwhile, was quoted as denying the terrorist comment.

"It is absolutely not true, I didn't call him a terrorist, I don't know anything about that," the Italian news agency ANSA quoted Materazzi as saying when he arrived with his team at an Italian military airfield.

"What happened is what all the world saw live on TV," the Italian player said, referring to the head-butting.

Zidane's agent, Alain Migliaccio, was quoted by the BBC as saying the France captain told him the Italian "said something very serious to him, but he wouldn't tell me what."

Whatever it was, it was enough to infuriate Zidane.

"Zizou is someone who reacts to things," said Aime Jacquet, Zidane's coach at the 1998 World Cup. "Unfortunately he could not control himself. It's terrible to see him leave this way."

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
BACH said:
This is the key to the entire game IMO.

Zinane and Ribery is among the top 5 players at this WC, but Italy has without doubt the best overall squad. The best team will win IMO. (kinda like Colts' starplayers vs. Patriots team when I think about it)

Good game so far...

Ribery sucks. It is really a pain for me to watch him. He turned the ball over at least 12 times yesterday, if you have the tape please go back and watch it. He has 1 great play every now and then but most of the time he is just squandering opportunities or giving the other team a great opportunity for a counter-attack. It was really dissapointing to watch him drag down the French side in the final.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson