2001 Revisited

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok.... So my bride is out of town riding horses with a friend, so I'm "baching it," which for an old boring guy like me means puttering around the house and watching movies. So as I'm looking through my movie collection, I see the old 2001 World Series DVD. I figure, "what the hell" and put it on.

Man-o-man, was that a series! And the bottom of the 9th comeback against the greatest reliever of all time was simply fairytale in feeling. It was also incredible that this happened 14.... yep, count 'em.... 14 years ago. That simply doesn't seem possible, does it?

Anyway... A raised glass and a "sal-LUTE" to Mark Grace, Tony Womack, Luis Gonzalez, the 2001 D-Backs and one of the very best World Series ever.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ok.... So my bride is out of town riding horses with a friend, so I'm "baching it," which for an old boring guy like me means puttering around the house and watching movies. So as I'm looking through my movie collection, I see the old 2001 World Series DVD. I figure, "what the hell" and put it on.

Man-o-man, was that a series! And the bottom of the 9th comeback against the greatest reliever of all time was simply fairytale in feeling. It was also incredible that this happened 14.... yep, count 'em.... 14 years ago. That simply doesn't seem possible, does it?

Anyway... A raised glass and a "sal-LUTE" to Mark Grace, Tony Womack, Luis Gonzalez, the 2001 D-Backs and one of the very best World Series ever.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Fitting it was Gonzo with the game winning hit to cap off his magical season. Can't find clips on YouTube of the game winning hit but it was unforgettable.

BTW, how did Gonzalez not win the MVP that year?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
So what do you say? Let's grab a couple of aces and do it again.:)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
AZ Native said:
So what do you say? Let's grab a couple of aces and do it again.
'Sounds like draw poker. I'll keep my 3-4-5 and take two.

I hated wild cards in poker, but I'll take it next season in the NL. :)

Works for me!!!! And getting a guy who will hit 57 home runs wouldn't hurt, either!!! :D
I was so glad for Gonzo's sake at the time that he didn't go into the 60+ HR group. He is our HR legend!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's the year he hit 73 and Sosa hit 64. I would say that was a tainted year as Bonds & Sosa were suspected cheaters later on but then again Gonzo was implicated as a cheater by Ken Kendrick.

Whispers...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's the year he hit 73 and Sosa hit 64. I would say that was a tainted year as Bonds & Sosa were suspected cheaters later on but then again Gonzo was implicated as a cheater by Ken Kendrick.

Who cares if they "cheated"? Baseball didn't... If Gonzo taking PED's helped AZ win the WS then good for him!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeah, at your age you need another WS victory sooner than later (you are 2 weeks older than me). ;)
I have ten years on both of you. I could really use another WS victory.

Or a Suns championship. Oh well, at least the Mercury have fulfilled that wish. Three times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson