2001 A Space Odyssey

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched this film again (I have the BluRay).

Interesting film. It's much more interesting if you read the book first (which I did), as in an effort to make the audience think, Kubrick and Clark went well over the top. Some have suggested that the only reason the movie was somewhat successful was because youngsters would get high and go to watch the "wormhole" effects. The wormhole effects in "Contact" seemed much better, more reasonable and didn't last forever.

The special effects were actually very good (it won an Oscar for them). Considering this film was made some 9 years before the first Star Wars movie (which is generally considered the big bang of special effects movies) they look even better. Oh, there were definitely a few problems (Like gravity in the pod bay, which was outside the "gravity wheel," normal gravity in the meeting room on the moon and a few other like things) but all in all, the effects were indeed "wowzers."

The acting sucked. I think that in an effort to make it realistic, they went overboard and the people all seemed mechanical.

The music was really good. Also Sprach Zarathustra is now ingrained in every person's head over 50 years old. The traveling to the moon sequences backed by Strauss's Blue Danube were great.

The story line was probably one of the first, and best, serious shots at our meetings with extraterrestrials (The first Day the Earth Stood Still is probably the real "first-best" but 2001 is in there too because you had to think your way through it instead of simply watch and absorb). The somewhat strange opening of the movie with the ape/men was weak, because too much was left to the imagination. Again, you read the book and it all comes together.

Definitely a bit dated but still quite a movie. 3.5 out of 5 stars. It's worth a watch, and if you've already seen it, as "re-watch."

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There's a new trailer out for it that seems somewhat Interstellar-esque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfF0vxKZRhc

As much as I liked 2001, there are only a handful of things I ever remember about it.

The monkey-thing scene at the beginning and then tossing the bone
HAL and his voice
The spinning space station
The music

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I admit. Never ever been a fan. I am a huge sci-fi fan and for me to say that is probably blasphemous. LOL.

I remember just getting into sci-fi as a kid and watching that movie and thinking it's the most boring movie ever. As I got older I appreciated it much more from a style perspective and realized it wasn't trying to be an action packed Star Wars movie. However, to this day? I still have no desire to see the film again. Seen it a few times now over my life and it's hardly a must see IMO.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I admit. Never ever been a fan. I am a huge sci-fi fan and for me to say that is probably blasphemous. LOL.

I remember just getting into sci-fi as a kid and watching that movie and thinking it's the most boring movie ever. As I got older I appreciated it much more from a style perspective and realized it wasn't trying to be an action packed Star Wars movie. However, to this day? I still have no desire to see the film again. Seen it a few times now over my life and it's hardly a must see IMO.

Join!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I like the film and appreciate it's place in film history, but it's not even my favorite Kubrick film, let alone science fiction.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I generally hate Kubrick films. He made exactly 1.5 good movies:

The Shining

The first half of Full Metal Jacket.

Other than that, his heavy touch was too artsy, plodding, and really really boring. Indulgent, even.

Flame away. :p

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Clockwork Orange, The Killing, Paths of Glory, ******, Spartacus and most of Barry Lyndon were pretty good. Dr. Strangelove was absolutely BRILLIANT, and my favorite of his films.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The book is better it's just too big of a story to do well in a film, even the book gets a bit tedious.

I love Clarke but the problem after 2001 was there was no payoff. The "something wonderful" in the sequel just didn't cut it.

I always wanted them to make a movie out of Nine Billion Names of God. At one time I assumed it was because it was a short story but they have made movies out of stuff Steven King wrote on the back of an envelope. So I have to assume they think the title and subject are too controversial?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Shining

Other than that, his heavy touch was too artsy, plodding, and really really boring. Indulgent, even.

no Strangelove in that list? That movie is freaking hilarious and brilliant!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Clockwork Orange, The Killing, Paths of Glory, ******, Spartacus and most of Barry Lyndon were pretty good. Dr. Strangelove was absolutely BRILLIANT, and my favorite of his films.

Yamon for most of that list.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight here--this is the war room!" has to be one of the best lines ever.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Shining

Completely with you on this although Spartacus is good film making!!!! And Eyes wide shut is a guilty pleasure of mine...

A Clockwork Orange could be the worst movie of all time!!! :)

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've never read 2001(I'm going to remedy that before the 2001 re-release) but I've read 2010, 2061, & 3001(with an extremely implausible story and protagonist) and enjoyed all of those books. I was very young when this first came out so I'm looking forward to seeing this on the big screen.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The middle section of this film is brilliant. But the book ends are absolutely brutal and contrived tripe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson