2 Acl tears?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would assume it is no different than two Tommy John surgery's. Daniel Hudson came back from that. Plus, Arian already said he will be back in June or July.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would assume it is no different than two Tommy John surgery's. Daniel Hudson came back from that. Plus, Arian already said he will be back in June or July.

Throwing and putting weight on a joint and running around are 2 totally different things.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throwing and putting weight on a joint and running around are 2 totally different things.

Yup, throwing constant 95 MPH fastballs would do a lot more damage. Plus, this is about repairing them, not the after effects.

UCL and ACL are both manor ligaments.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, they have braces for the knee to protect them, they don't for elbows. Those braces do a lot to protect the knee.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yup, throwing constant 95 MPH fastballs would do a lot more damage. Plus, this is about repairing them, not the after effects.

Sorta agree... However, in Palmer's case, his ACL was repaired back in 2005! Not sure if that makes this situation any more positive or negative... But, Hudson's surgeries were fairly close together, whereas Palmer's will be 9+ years apart.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

When Tommy John originally had the surgery now named after him, he went from a fastball pitcher to a junk ball pitcher. That said, I would say that blowing your ACL is much worse only because when pitching, it's one motion albeit 100 times in a night whereas when using your legs, cutting and other lateral motions put much more pressure on.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorta agree... However, in Palmer's case, his ACL was repaired back in 2005! Not sure if that makes this situation any more positive or negative... But, Hudson's surgeries were fairly close together, whereas Palmer's will be 9+ years apart.

Interesting point. Since Arians said Palmer should be back by training camp, does it really make a difference?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Tommy John originally had the surgery now named after him, he went from a fastball pitcher to a junk ball pitcher. That said, I would say that blowing your ACL is much worse only because when pitching, it's one motion albeit 100 times in a night whereas when using your legs, cutting and other lateral motions put much more pressure on.

Have you seen Palmer run? Not sure you can call that cutting. :D

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Interesting point. Since Arians said Palmer should be back by training camp, does it really make a difference?

Don't know... not a doc and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :D
I think it's great that BA believes Carson can be back for training camp. What type of player he will be when the season starts could be an entirely other matter. We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out... Just sucks, period! :(

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Why wouldn't he be back for training camp? He's got more than 9 months to rehab. These days they heal a lot more quickly from that surgery than 'back in the day.'

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Hasn't Thomas Davis of the Panthers torn his ACL at least twice and is currently playing at a high level?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TM didn't and look how well he is playing. If Palmer gets into his rehab like DD and TM have, we could see him next year for sure.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on what surgery they do. If they do a cadaver tendon which I think is the common surgery now, in theory they can just keep replacing the tendon. If they do the graft from the patellar tendon then they've already done it once and presumably harder to do it again.

My guess is they do the cadaver tendon. He's older though 82 is right, recovery time is longer with age.

When the talk of new contract first came up I said I was leery because he'd just come back from the shoulder nerve thing, of course having no idea it'd be the knee that took him down.

Tough break I kept hoping that it was an ankle because of the way he grabbed at his foot, but when it buckled on the sideline it became pretty clear it was the knee.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some threads are like ACL tears to my heart, some posters give up, get mad, and than come back when we are still winning, all in the course of a week.. every week that is. :D

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I believe lots of jaws are going to drop when we beat the Lions next Sunday !! I don't mean just on this board .

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Watch pitches in slow motion. A fastball, a slider, variations of all three and you'll note a great variety of stresses on arm, elbow, shoulder. Greater than? Not sure, I'm not a kinisiologist (sp).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave