1970: Cards-38 Cowboys-0

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some key plays in this contest that saw the Cards paste the eventual NFC champion Cowboys 38-0 in Dallas. After this game, the Cards were 7-2 and in the drivers seat in the NFC East but in typical Cardinal fashion, they went 1-3-1 down the stretch to finish 8-5-1 and in 3rd place while the Cowboys didn't lose another game for the rest of the year until the Super Bowl. Incidentally, the Cards swept the Cowboys this season. Speaking of the 'Pokes, they had a couple of weird games including a 6-2 win over the Browns and a 5-0 win over the Lions in the playoffs. And note around the 2 minute mark, Jim Bakken attempts a 53 yard FG meaning, in those days, he attempted it from the Cards' 47 yard line.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
This is the game I became a Cardinals fan at 9 yrs old. I thought Johnny Roland the best Rb of all time.
Small sample size, right?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some key plays in this contest that saw the Cards paste the eventual NFC champion Cowboys 38-0 in Dallas. After this game, the Cards were 7-2 and in the drivers seat in the NFC East but in typical Cardinal fashion, they went 1-3-1 down the stretch to finish 8-5-1 and in 3rd place while the Cowboys didn't lose another game for the rest of the year until the Super Bowl. Incidentally, the Cards swept the Cowboys this season. Speaking of the 'Pokes, they had a couple of weird games including a 6-2 win over the Browns and a 5-0 win over the Lions in the playoffs. And note around the 2 minute mark, Jim Bakken attempts a 53 yard FG meaning, in those days, he attempted it from the Cards' 47 yard line.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks for sharing! I was 10 at the time, and it's still my favorite Cardinal win ever. At that age, my parents would allow me to stay up until halftime of the Monday Night games. My Mom wore the pants in the family, but I remember my Dad going to bat for me & I watched the entire game. That was the first year of MNF, so it was a truly special event. I grew up in Syracuse, NY, and because of that game, I remember converting many of my friends to be Cardinal fans. Charley Winner was our HC, and he was a damn good one too. Unfortunately, when we lost our last 3 (tough losses), Old Man Bidwill fired him. Our last loss was a 28-27 loss at Washington on a last second FG. I doubt if MB would ever fire a HC that went 8-5-1. As was normally the case with Bill Bidwill, it turned out to be a horrible decision. BB then hired some moron named Bob Hollway. Hollway lasted 2 years. I believe we were 4-9-1 both years. That opened the door for Don Coryell, a little known mad scientist type HC from San Diego St. What he brought from the small college ranks would forever change the NFL.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That opened the door for Don Coryell, a little known mad scientist type HC from San Diego St. What he brought from the small college ranks would forever change the NFL.
And Bill Bidwill fired him after 1 mediocre year which to this day made no sense. And not only that, they started to break that team up and it started a path of futility that we still haven't broken from save for some brief periods.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wasn't this the game where Dandy Don opened the second half with: "Howard's a bit under the weather and won't be joining us for the rest of the game...?"

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't this the game where Dandy Don opened the second half with: "Howard's a bit under the weather and won't be joining us for the rest of the game...?"
Not sure . It might have been the first time he sung “ Turn out the lights the party’s over” lol!

MadBird

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
how in the world did Jim Hart manage to catch & tackle the Cowboy defensive back to save a TD on that interception, and yet and ENTIRE team - including wide receivers - couldn't catch James Harrison in 99 yards ... :thud:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Bill Bidwill fired him after 1 mediocre year which to this day made no sense. And not only that, they started to break that team up and it started a path of futility that we still haven't broken from save for some brief periods.

He was fired after a 7-7 season in 1977. Cardinals got blown out on Thanksgiving day at home by Miami 55-14 & they were never the same. Coryell complained to BB that money needed to be spent on the defensive side of the ball & Bidwill promptly fired him. Everyone seems to remember Bill as he aged & was more docile. When he was younger, he was both a jerk and a lousy Owner. I think Michael learned the hard way how not to be like his father in matters pertaining to football.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was fired after a 7-7 season in 1977. Cardinals got blown out on Thanksgiving day at home by Miami 55-14 & they were never the same. Coryell complained to BB that money needed to be spent on the defensive side of the ball & Bidwill promptly fired him. Everyone seems to remember Bill as he aged & was more docile. When he was younger, he was both a jerk and a lousy Owner. I think Michael learned the hard way how not to be like his father in matters pertaining to football.
Read Conrad Dober's book. It's an eye opener. And don't remind me of that loss. My Dolphin fan brother reminds me of that on a yearly basis.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Read Conrad Dober's book. It's an eye opener. And don't remind me of that loss. My Dolphin fan brother reminds me of that on a yearly basis.

I've told this story before on this forum, but after that game, I punched a hole in a wall in the basement where I was watching the game. Covered it up with a poster. Parents didn't discover it until they sold the house 11 years later.