1923 (Paramount+)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yellowstone Spinoff 1883 Gets More Episodes, New 1932 Series on Dutton Family's Origins Announced​

The world of Yellowstone just got a whole lot bigger!

On Tuesday, Tanya Giles — chief programming officer for ViacomCBS Streaming — announced that its popular Yellowstone spinoff, 1883, is returning to Paramount+ with more episodes. News of the extension comes after 1883 smashed the streaming service's global record for the most-watched title ever.

Real-life couple Tim McGraw and Faith Hill star in the Taylor Sheridan-created western, which follows the Dutton family as they embark on a journey through the Great Plains with plans to create a better life for themselves in Montana.

Additionally, Giles announced plans for another Yellowstone spinoff titled 1932. The upcoming series will follow a new generation of Dutton family members.

"The incredible storytelling and stellar performances behind 1883 have fueled phenomenal new records for Paramount+," said Giles. "Promoting the series through linear sampling on the Paramount Network during their latest record-breaking season of Yellowstone further enabled us to introduce Sheridan's loyal audience to this fantastic new series. We look forward to bringing fans even more of the Duttons' origin story."

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome can’t wait

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They'll just keep putting checks in front of Sheridan until he says no. These period pieces have to be expensive, but props to Paramount for carving out a niche.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yellowstone Spinoff 1883 Gets More Episodes, New 1932 Series on Dutton Family's Origins Announced​

The world of Yellowstone just got a whole lot bigger!

On Tuesday, Tanya Giles — chief programming officer for ViacomCBS Streaming — announced that its popular Yellowstone spinoff, 1883, is returning to Paramount+ with more episodes. News of the extension comes after 1883 smashed the streaming service's global record for the most-watched title ever.

Real-life couple Tim McGraw and Faith Hill star in the Taylor Sheridan-created western, which follows the Dutton family as they embark on a journey through the Great Plains with plans to create a better life for themselves in Montana.

Additionally, Giles announced plans for another Yellowstone spinoff titled 1932. The upcoming series will follow a new generation of Dutton family members.

"The incredible storytelling and stellar performances behind 1883 have fueled phenomenal new records for Paramount+," said Giles. "Promoting the series through linear sampling on the Paramount Network during their latest record-breaking season of Yellowstone further enabled us to introduce Sheridan's loyal audience to this fantastic new series. We look forward to bringing fans even more of the Duttons' origin story."

This is great news because initially it was said that 1883 was just a one and one and they would move on to 1932. I don't think they expected it to be that big of a hit.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is great news because initially it was said that 1883 was just a one and one and they would move on to 1932. I don't think they expected it to be that big of a hit.

They are hitting every 49 years.

Maybe the next one after 1932 will be 1981?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

I guess we should change the title of the thread.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the first episode so far…. Hope it gets even better.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked the first episode so far…. Hope it gets even better.

Saw episode 2 last night, pretty entertaining. I still don't have straight who is related to who, going to have to map out the Dutton family tree.

Some of the scenes are really attacking the Catholic Church's treatment of the Native Americans, very hard to watch sometimes, one can only hope for revenge in later episodes.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Saw episode 2 last night, pretty entertaining. I still don't have straight who is related to who, going to have to map out the Dutton family tree.
that's exactly how I feel. I've seen all of Yellowstone, but I need to catch up on 1883 and watch the second 1923 episode.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's...okay. It's certainly not bad, and it's certainly not great. It's nothing compared to the last prequel, which was much, much better. Harrison Ford is just a cardboard cutout right now. I feel they're wasting Jerome Flynn. The secondary plots are far more interesting to me. Problem is, it's a shorter season, so there's going to be less time to tie those problems in.

All that said, it is entertaining. A bonus is to not have the annoying Mary Sue I can do whatever I want on the frontier character.

Stout

Reaction score
Are you talking about episode 3 "the war has come home"? Hallmark? Pretty bloody for that comparison.
Yeah, at the...your response should've been in spoilers.

Yeah, at the end something finally happened. Unfortunately most of the episode was a male of the family with one blonde or another in really boring scenes.

I'll just assume that was the dud of the series and look forward to the action sure to kick off the next episode.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, at the end something finally happened. Unfortunately most of the episode was a male of the family with one blonde or another in really boring scenes.

I'll just assume that was the dud of the series and look forward to the action sure to kick off the next episode.
Wait, calling a western bloody is giving something away? Lol

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I take it you were in the bathroom when the elephant attacked the vehicle and flipped it over when Spencer and his girlfriend where inside. You must have also went out for a snack when they had to climb up a tree, where they were attacked by a pride of lions. And you must have also stepped out when they were rescued in the middle of the night.

Stout

Reaction score
I take it you were in the bathroom when the elephant attacked the vehicle and flipped it over when Spencer and his girlfriend where inside. You must have also went out for a snack when they had to climb up a tree, where they were attacked by a pride of lions. And you must have also stepped out when they were rescued in the middle of the night.
Yes, those 10 minutes, plus the 2 minutes at the end, provided some entertainment. The 15 minutes each of bad "I'm going to slobber over my blonde girlie" drama vastly overshadowed the lesser amount of compelling screen time. And the pride of lions was really bad. Once he shoots one or two, the rest would scatter.

Not that the show needs to be non-stop action and violence. Good drama and slow burn is fantastic. The scene with the kid and his blonde going dancing was entertaining. Same for the salesman and the back-and-forth debate about progress scene. The bad Hallmark scenes with the two Dutton boys and their blondes could have been fine, had the scenes been shorter and compelling. They weren't. They were long, slow, and boring. There were boobs in play, and I was bored. That's a bad, bad sign.

But, hey, as long as you liked it, that's cool. Enjoy. I'm not going to ever agree that this was a solid episode. It stunk for me. I'm writing it off as a stinker and an outlier and coming back next week for a bounce back episode.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in full agreement with everything Stout has posted on this.

Now I know this isn't a History Channel deal, but come on, guys..... you spend a lot of time on getting the big stuff right, but swing and miss on some of the easy stuff. Episode three, in the speakeasy, the kid is shown spending small paper money. Small paper wasn't introduced until 1929. Episode 2, after Spencer takes on the two big cats, he asks for a cigarette and light, A guy produces a Zippo lighter.... that wouldn't be invented until the early 30's. They're fighting a range war in 1923, when the Montana range wars ran from 1870 to 1920. In those 50 years, approximately 54 people were killed, apparently half of them at the end of episode three. There's a few more, but you get my point.

Okay.... I get it. From 1955 to 1965, probably a thousand or so cowboys were killed on Cheyenne, Gunsmoke, Sugarfoot, Maverick, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Bonanza, The Rebel, the Wild Bunch, etc. etc. etc. so I'll let that one go. but the rest of these relatively small screw-ups stack up, and piss me off.

Edit: The odds of a poor Irish sheep herder owning a 50 caliber Thompson machine gun (with 50 round drum, no less) at a cost in today's dollars of around $3200 (not including the ammo) is between slim and none.