1883 (Paramount+)

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Finally caught up so I can post. The casting in this show is amazing. Everyone just perfectly nails their part. I was initially really looking forward to this but then was bummed when they cast Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, but boy have they proven me wrong.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Great season ender, save for one detail I didn't care for. Set up for more good stuff moving forward.

I didn't like fast-forwarding a year and not getting to see the Duttons' struggle for survival. I did like seeing the other characters, where they ended up and what happened to them, though, so it made sense. It absolutely made sense for the daughter to die. Apart from being too Mary Sue, she embodied Innocence, and Innocence had to die.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally caught up so I can post. The casting in this show is amazing. Everyone just perfectly nails their part. I was initially really looking forward to this but then was bummed when they cast Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, but boy have they proven me wrong.
I can’t believe this thread isn’t huge based no the quality of this show. It’s so damn good.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Don’t have P+. Will sign up and watch the free 7 day trial and binge watch all episodes. Sounds good.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I can’t believe this thread isn’t huge based no the quality of this show. It’s so damn good.

Im guessing that most people just don’t have Paramount+. It is a shame for them though because the series was just flat out great.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im guessing that most people just don’t have Paramount+. It is a shame for them though because the series was just flat out great.
I was able to get a year with ads for free through a T-mobile promo before the holidays. I don't mind the ads so much especially when it's free.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Its worth getting, and ditching some of the other streaming services. This show is awesome.

Really no weak spot in the stellar casting, love watching Sam Elliot and LaMonica Garrett work together.

I have never really been into this part of history, 1800's, western migration, wagon trains, etc. But this show makes it real and interesting and I am soooo glad I didn't have to live through this era. what an incredibly difficult journey these settlers had to make and survive. We take so much for granted. We bi*** about a lot of minor inconveniences that are nothing compared to what these people went through.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Its worth getting, and ditching some of the other streaming services. This show is awesome.

Really no weak spot in the stellar casting, love watching Sam Elliot and LaMonica Garrett work together.

I have never really been into this part of history, 1800's, western migration, wagon trains, etc. But this show makes it real and interesting and I am soooo glad I didn't have to live through this era. what an incredibly difficult journey these settlers had to make and survive. We take so much for granted. We bi*** about a lot of minor inconveniences that are nothing compared to what these people went through.
It's rather cost prohibitive, especially as I don't want any of the other content. My plan is to continue waiting until all episodes are out there and then get the subscription (or free trial) for brief spans.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's rather cost prohibitive, especially as I don't want any of the other content. My plan is to continue waiting until all episodes are out there and then get the subscription (or free trial) for brief spans.

Free trials are awesome. I did that for a bit, then got the subscription. $9.99/mo for paramount plus, but can do a commercial version with the app for $4.99 month. Seems worth it, though I may drop it now that we finished 1883 last night, at least until they come out with some new content on the other related shows and spinoffs

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watched the final episode last night.

Don't want to reveal any spoilers, but pretty heart wrenching stuff. Interesting seeing the final Yellowstone tie in.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So I binged this over the last few days and got to the finale last night. As a precursor, I have never seen Yellowstone and have never had the desire to--I may be wrong, but I always got a "Dynasty" set in the modern west vibe with it, so had no interest.

This show, however, was fantastic. I liken it to a mix between Deadwood and Lonesome Dove. Not as gritty as Deadwood and not as saccharine as Lonesome Dove (and I loved Lonesome Dove and Deadwood is a top 5 show all time for me).

I liked everything about it, except for one major thing -- the narration. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but why have this narration from a character's "journals" and never show her actually writing in a journal? And she ends up how she ends up? To be fair, that's not a big deal to me, what was a bigger deal was the unusual fact that the journal "entries" were so poorly written. All these deep philosophical musings -- her language was much too flowery for someone who was trying her hardest to be a cowboy/tomgirl. Her words on death were especially cringe-worthy late in the run.

A lot of big surprises in the show, not the least of which was the quality of Faith Hill's acting. I already knew Tim McGraw could act, his turn in Friday Night Lights was absolutely fantastic. But Faith Hill was pretty great herself. And the makeup crew did a VERY good job making her look haggard and beaten down. I also thought every single one of the cameos was great. And finally, I can't fail to recognize how utterly spectacular the music is in this show.

Will this show make me start to watch Yellowstone? Perhaps, but I still have my reservations about the show. I might wait for the next "season" and sort of watch the shows in chronological order.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I binged this over the last few days and got to the finale last night. As a precursor, I have never seen Yellowstone and have never had the desire to--I may be wrong, but I always got a "Dynasty" set in the modern west vibe with it, so had no interest.

This show, however, was fantastic. I liken it to a mix between Deadwood and Lonesome Dove. Not as gritty as Deadwood and not as saccharine as Lonesome Dove (and I loved Lonesome Dove and Deadwood is a top 5 show all time for me).

I liked everything about it, except for one major thing -- the narration. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but why have this narration from a character's "journals" and never show her actually writing in a journal? And she ends up how she ends up? To be fair, that's not a big deal to me, what was a bigger deal was the unusual fact that the journal "entries" were so poorly written. All these deep philosophical musings -- her language was much too flowery for someone who was trying her hardest to be a cowboy/tomgirl. Her words on death were especially cringe-worthy late in the run.

A lot of big surprises in the show, not the least of which was the quality of Faith Hill's acting. I already knew Tim McGraw could act, his turn in Friday Night Lights was absolutely fantastic. But Faith Hill was pretty great herself. And the makeup crew did a VERY good job making her look haggard and beaten down. I also thought every single one of the cameos was great. And finally, I can't fail to recognize how utterly spectacular the music is in this show.

Will this show make me start to watch Yellowstone? Perhaps, but I still have my reservations about the show. I might wait for the next "season" and sort of watch the shows in chronological order.
I don’t agree with some of what you say… and that’s ok. We all have our own opinions. I’m just glad you liked it and enjoyed it as much as you did.

So far everything in the Yellowstone universe has been awesome. Hoping the next line in the series won’t let us down.

AZ Native

Reaction score

Not really. Here is a pic of her without makeup.

Attachments

• fh.jpeg
    fh.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5

AZ Native

Reaction score
Really? THAT’S what you got out of my entire post?
I haven’t watched it but plan to. What you said about Faith reminded me of some pics I saw of her without makeup. More power to her going out without makeup. Just saying it was not as much worked as you suggested.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I haven’t watched it but plan to. What you said about Faith reminded me of some pics I saw of her without makeup. More power to her going out without makeup. Just saying it was not as much worked as you suggested.
They also darkened her skin up, making her look leathery, if that makes any sense.

I used to crush on her in the 00s, so I thought it was a good way to keep them in the time period.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They also darkened her skin up, making her look leathery, if that makes any sense.

I used to crush on her in the 00s, so I thought it was a good way to keep them in the time period.

They always forget about the teeth though. Everybody had super straight and bright pearly whites. My wife and I made a couple comments about it. And Elsa riding around sleeveless in the sun all day.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They always forget about the teeth though. Everybody had super straight and bright pearly whites. My wife and I made a couple comments about it. And Elsa riding around sleeveless in the sun all day.
The ozone layer was healthier back then sun burns didn't exist :) even for the pasty white...

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is simply one of the best shows of the season. The cast, the music, the story was tragic, beautiful and one had one of the best finales I can remember in a long time.

I can’t say enough about this show. Mark me down and someone who has not scene a single episode of Yellowstone. If anything this might get me to watch. I was not interested in Yellowstone because it just looked like soap opera to me.

This? Some of the best 10 episodes of TV I have ever watched.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm westerned out, I'm afraid.

Great production values and acting was very good.

Beyond that, the whole thing, whether realistic or not, was grossly depressing. I don't need all sweetness and light, but come on! I get it. Life going across the country sucked. I don't need to have my knuckles rubbed in it episode after episode to "get it."

Or maybe I'm just grumpy in my old age. :shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Beyond that, the whole thing, whether realistic or not, was grossly depressing. I don't need all sweetness and light, but come on! I get it. Life going across the country sucked. I don't need to have my knuckles rubbed in it episode after episode to "get it."

Yep, you're grumpy.

It's called realism. ;)

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You’re more than grumpy I’d say lol

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, you're grumpy.

It's called realism. ;)
:D

There's some realism, for sure. There's some gross exaggeration in there, too, but I get it: It's a movie, Garth!!!

If this were a movie, I think I'd really like it. But episode after episode of bleak despair is not exactly entertaining for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson