17th Game Added - Cards at Browns

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t get this odd game schedule.
So half of the teams will have more home games than the other half?
I imagine the following year the teams that travelled will get a home game. Or all the games will be held at neutral sites?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't like the 17th game.

Makes everything asymmetric. Some teams will have more home games and some more away games.

Same applies to strength of schedule. Up to now we play the same opponents as our division rivals. That's now out the window.

For the 17th game the Niners play the Bungals. The other 3 face playoff caliber teams (Steelers, Brown's, Ravens).

Also it screws up all records and direct stat comparisons.

Really, really not a fan.

OP
OP
gmabel830

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I don’t get this odd game schedule.
So half of the teams will have more home games than the other half?
Yes and it will rotate. Each conference plays another conference for the extra game each year.. so entire NFCW plays at an AFC North team this year. So next year we will get the extra home game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is it set up such that all teams in a single division have either an extra home or away game? Not even sure if the math works on that, but if not that’s just silly and gives an unfair advantage to those teams with the extra home game IMO.

OP
OP
gmabel830

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Is it set up such that all teams in a single division have either an extra home or away game? Not even sure if the math works on that, but if not that’s just silly and gives an unfair advantage to those teams with the extra home game IMO.
Yes - they are in division blocks. So the entire division will either be home or away against another division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think sets up more international games. At some point there will be 16 of them. You could do 2 to 3 a week in the heart of the season and provide that extra bye week right after travel.

Plus, it's 1 less useless preseason game now too!

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think sets up more international games. At some point there will be 16 of them. You could do 2 to 3 a week in the heart of the season and provide that extra bye week right after travel.

Plus, it's 1 less useless preseason game now too!
Eventually the NFL intends to dramatically increase international games. It wouldn’t be shocking to see them alternated like the 17th game. BTW there will be an 18th game at some point.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Weed legal more cards football!! Awesome well maybe lol

Only bad thing is injury

Anyone know how many fans allow at gm next yr me my bro want to try go to a few if possible

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There will only be 3 pre-season games this year. Since the Cards don't have a 9th regular season game, I'm sure we will get stuck with 2 worthless pre-season games. So the Cards will have 10 home games as usual. The third pre-season game will be at home where none of the starters play. Being a season ticket holder, I'm use to this rip off. :bang:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping the added game comes at the beginning of the season instead of the end. I miss the old days of opening day on Labor Day weekend. Was almost like there was a holiday to recover from the first game of the year.

That would be great - I will likely be in Columbus the week prior, would be great to be able to see the Cards in Cleveland

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I love football, but I'm meh on this for so many reasons.

For competitive reasons, this is a lot of wear and tear on players. I don't like the balance of stats and competition like BritCard mentioned. Also, every record is about to fall in short order now.

Then there's personal reasons. By the end of a 17 week season and playoffs, I'm a bit burned out on every Sunday, Monday, and Thursday being dedicated to football, with your outlier Saturday games thrown in too. Sundays are just a complete slog of 10 or so hours of football activity from the start of the morning games to the end of the night games, along with setting your fantasy lineups and such. This is also just more fantasy football to play, which takes up additional time. I already play in 7 leagues and it's so much work to extend for another week, with podcasts, waivers, monitoring performance week to week, setting lineups... ugh.

I know I'm in control of my own destiny, and I could choose to do something else with my day and sit down for the Cards game later or even just carve out that 3 hour period, but football's a big part of my life. I'll probably be amped when it gets close, but I'm still a little burnt out from last year.

It doesn't help that we haven't been good in five years, and for a good chunk of those periods due to injuries, coaching, or talent, I've woken up expecting a loss.

efferman

Veteran
Reaction score
One less meaningless (IMO) preseason game is fine with me. I agree with Cheese that the game should be added to the front of the season rather than the back end.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I really don't like the 17th game.

Makes everything asymmetric. Some teams will have more home games and some more away games.

Same applies to strength of schedule. Up to now we play the same opponents as our division rivals. That's now out the window.

For the 17th game the Niners play the Bungals. The other 3 face playoff caliber teams (Steelers, Brown's, Ravens).

Also it screws up all records and direct stat comparisons.

Really, really not a fan.

This is a very bad take. We play one team with the same division rank in the prior season in the same conference already that our division rivals don't play.

The NFL didn't always have 16 games. They played 14 game seasons in the 1970s.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
The asymmetry won’t affect the competitive balance; one entire conference gets all the extra home games.

This year the NFC plays at the AFC for the extra game. So for all the teams we’re competing against for the playoffs (ie, the NFC teams), we’d all have the same number of home/away games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Really? Season is still half a year away?
The logistics for a game with travel personnel lodging meals stadium availability etc is absolutely ridiculous. I’m betting coming off the pandemic made this a little easier actually.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose