15 thoughts - training camp

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I look at the Cardinals as an around .500 ball club that could go either way depending on player growth and fit and injuries.

There have been years where the team was obviously going to be really bad, but this year isn't one of them.
I agree with your assessment but I’m leery of all the dependence on old, recently underperforming and injured players returning to higher standards.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Except we didn’t because we praise the cardinals when they do well or when we see something we think will do well. We just don’t credit for it because you like to harp on the negative takes.

in the history of the cards in AZ who has been most accurate most frequently you think, darksiders or koolaid? A hint: not koolaid.

all one has to do is look at the suns board to see those tabbed as darksiders here being positive. In other words, darksiders isn’t a default, it’s driven by what we see from a mostly historically poorly run franchise. In The Whis and arians years were typically optimistic because we saw promise. In the Skelton-hall-scud years people complained about our “pessimism” lol at those complainers.

Fans that try to be realistic and temper expectations will always be called darksiders by those fans who refuse to read the tea leaves laid out before them.
Naw what I see along with quite a few others on this board is that you guys just tend to jump on most moves the team makes and a clock is right twice a day....except in the Cardinals history if I pan every move I'm right more often than not.

Either way, we're all fans of the same team and frankly, this topic has been one that has raged on since this board was started and as I get older I realize it's kind of dumb....and I wonder why I got involved in it in the first place LOL

As far as your second response, I think some times you have to take some risk in pro sports and we also don't know how personalities and such fit in the locker room. JJ Watt and Malcolm Butler are two vets I would bet will have a positive impact. I'm a bit more leery on Green and Conner, but I see the logic in bringing both in.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except we didn’t because we praise the cardinals when they do well or when we see something we think will do well. We just don’t credit for it because you like to harp on the negative takes.

in the history of the cards in AZ who has been most accurate most frequently you think, darksiders or koolaid? A hint: not koolaid.

all one has to do is look at the suns board to see those tabbed as darksiders here being positive. In other words, darksiders isn’t a default, it’s driven by what we see from a mostly historically poorly run franchise. In The Whis and arians years were typically optimistic because we saw promise. In the Skelton-hall-scud years people complained about our “pessimism” lol at those complainers.

Fans that try to be realistic and temper expectations will always be called darksiders by those fans who refuse to read the tea leaves laid out before them.
Very well put

The Cardinals have constantly disappointed us and kicked us fans with our high expectations

They have made us darksiders because of the way they operate the franchise

I look at the Cardinals from all angles and appreciate all input from all posters

But to believe in everything the Cardinals do with rose colored glasses is not being open minded

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Naw what I see along with quite a few others on this board is that you guys just tend to jump on most moves the team makes and a clock is right twice a day....except in the Cardinals history if I pan every move I'm right more often than not.

Right. Pan every Cardinals move every year.

Takes a ton of creativity and bravery.

It was hilarious to read you guys do this act in 2015 or in 2008.

actually, if you went back to those years, you'd see that we were excited about those years. Wiz had come off a solid 8-8 start in his first season and while I stomped hard for Leinart over Warner during the off-season, after his awful off-season and dreadful preseason game against the Raiders I was all aboard the Warner train. And I was leery when we made Arians our coach and didn't like all his bluster, by mid-season I was all in and predicted playoffs every year after that for the next three. I even picked us to go the Super Bowl in 2016! Hell... after last off-season, I even predicted us to make a deep playoff run and said we were going to be a darkhorse Super Bowl team AGAIN, after our off-season which I by in large loved.

But hey... why let facts get in the way! it's much easier to say a bunch of BS without ever backing it up. and then write a bunch of LOLs when presented with the truth.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Does anyone really think we're winning it all this year?

Maybe not winning it all, but I certainly believe that the Cards can be very competitive. I believe that the Cards goes where Kyler Murray goes, and I believe that Kyler Murray can be a top five, top seven quarterback in the league. And based on history, he should improve a lot from year two to year three.

Further, the defense should be better, and I just have this thought that Kingsbury must be a better playcaller than he has shown so far. It is simply strange to me that he has not impressed more with that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe not winning it all, but I certainly believe that the Cards can be very competitive. I believe that the Cards goes where Kyler Murray goes, and I believe that Kyler Murray can be a top five, top seven quarterback in the league. And based on history, he should improve a lot from year two to year three.

Further, the defense should be better, and I just have this thought that Kingsbury must be a better playcaller than he has shown so far. It is simply strange to me that he has not impressed more with that.

I think so too. Murray is likely to improve more. He looks more like an NFL player, so you know he has been building his body.

Hopefully the interior line will hold up more this year so that Murray isn't trying to bail all of the time.

And I do agree, the defense should be better. JJ Watt is an underrated signing among the fanbase here. I think he will inject leadership into a defense that needed it and I think he will blow up blocking schemes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Either way, we're all fans of the same team and frankly, this topic has been one that has raged on since this board was started and as I get older I realize it's kind of dumb....and I wonder why I got involved in it in the first place LOL

As far as your second response, I think some times you have to take some risk in pro sports and we also don't know how personalities and such fit in the locker room. JJ Watt and Malcolm Butler are two vets I would bet will have a positive impact. I'm a bit more leery on Green and Conner, but I see the logic in bringing both in.
Go back and read comments before you paint with such a broad brush. Speaking for myself, I was positive about JJ and Butler signings. Connor is a good enough signing but not great. I think AJ is likely a poor signing. But overall I’m skeptical of signing so many aging/injured players as a strategy. And I think my outlook is fair, balanced, and reasonable - not this irrational darkside you claim it to be. It’s also consistent with how I’ve viewed everything cardinals throughout time. Unfortunately we’ve had bill, graves, a host of poor coaches making decisions so guess where the perspective lies (rightly so).

I could paint with a similar broad brush that you think everything is always great and every signing is going to be an all pro and that your broken clock has been right once in a few years. But I know only cub really falls into that category.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think so too. Murray is likely to improve more. He looks more like an NFL player, so you know he has been building his body.

Hopefully the interior line will hold up more this year so that Murray isn't trying to bail all of the time.

And I do agree, the defense should be better. JJ Watt is an underrated signing among the fanbase here. I think he will inject leadership into a defense that needed it and I think he will blow up blocking schemes.
Why do you think watt is a underrated signing? If you read the thread it was largely lauded as a single signing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why do you think watt is a underrated signing? If you read the thread it was largely lauded as a single signing.
I think he is going to have a pretty good impact; I think he's going to be the best defensive signing the Cardinals have had in years.

I expect the front seven to be a menace to nearly every team the Cardinals face this year.

Simmons - Collins
Jones- Watt - Fotu - Philips - Golden

That's some athletic ability (Watt, Simmons, and Collins), Size ( Fotu, Philips, and Collins), and pass rush ability (Jones, Watt, Golden, and Philips)

Take out Watt and insert Allen and it's a much lesser group. Cardinals fans are sleeping on his potential impact. I think he's going to turn the front seven into a force.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think he is going to have a pretty good impact; I think he's going to be the best defensive signing the Cardinals have had in years.

I expect the front seven to be a menace to nearly every team the Cardinals face this year.

Simmons - Collins
Jones- Watt - Fotu - Philips - Golden

That's some athletic ability (Watt, Simmons, and Collins), Size ( Fotu, Philips, and Collins), and pass rush ability (Jones, Watt, Golden, and Philips)

Take out Watt and insert Allen and it's a much lesser group. Cardinals fans are sleeping on his potential impact. I think he's going to turn the front seven into a force.
Hmm I disagree on the sleeping part. I think almost everyone here would agree with you if watt is healthy and the young guys produce.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hmm I disagree on the sleeping part. I think almost everyone here would agree with you if watt is healthy and the young guys produce.
A greatly improved front seven changes the calculus quite a bit for this team....I think some of the posters on here aren't considering how much it could.

I think this years Cardinals are hard to pin down because there are so many variables like injuries to account for.

Reaction score
Go back and read comments before you paint with such a broad brush. Speaking for myself, I was positive about JJ and Butler signings. Connor is a good enough signing but not great. I think AJ is likely a poor signing. But overall I’m skeptical of signing so many aging/injured players as a strategy. And I think my outlook is fair, balanced, and reasonable - not this irrational darkside you claim it to be. It’s also consistent with how I’ve viewed everything cardinals throughout time. Unfortunately we’ve had bill, graves, a host of poor coaches making decisions so guess where the perspective lies (rightly so).

I could paint with a similar broad brush that you think everything is always great and every signing is going to be an all pro and that your broken clock has been right once in a few years. But I know only cub really falls into that category.

What did I do? Lol. I'm not even in this convo. :)