15 thoughts - Saints game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – There is no shame in losing to New Orleans in the Superdome. Great team, great home field advantage. Good luck beating them, all other teams.

2 – Terrell Suggs played well for the first time in a month. Just don’t box score scout, because that will not be pretty this time either.

3 – No, Kyler Murray did not play that well in this game, but where are the rookie mental mistake? That is certainly impressive.

4 – Nice to see that Budda Baker played more up in the box where he is effective.

5 – I feel pretty good that I could create an offensive gameplan against this Cards defense. Run up the middle, run up the middle, throw short to the runningback, run up the middle.

6 – You can’t have the defense on the field all the time. All three phases has to help each other out.

7 - I so much want Haason Reddick to be great, but I just don’t think he is taking big enough strides.

8 – I like Kingsbury’s approach that he defer if he wins the coin toss. I never liked how Arians always took the ball.

9 – I have said it occasionally, and I will say it again: I think it makes sense that you are only good if you show it? You know, Aaron Rodgers is good because he has proved it consistently, and the same with LeBron James, Larry Fitzgerald, Phil Mickelson and so on. At what point do you admit and accept that David Johnson is not that good, simply because he rarely shows it? I don’t know. Now? In a month? The end of this season?

10 – It can’t have been fun to be Zach Zenner. Not many days ago he was on this great Saints-team, and now he was playing against them. He must have thought “oh man…” to himself at least 20 times during the game.

11 – Justin Murray got taken to school.

12 – Jalen Thompson tackles really, really well.

13 – If Bridgewater plays, he takes at least three or four sacks. Brees is just on another level than most, and there was not much wrong with the pass rush.

14 – Good to have Christian Kirk back. I am not sure how big a difference it actually made having him out there, but he is simply just a better receiver than most of the others.

15 – Really this game first got out of hands in the fourth quarter. Winning is obviously the best, but when you remember last season, playing in close, competitive games is great in itself.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol. David Johnson didn’t play. If anything, Sunday showed how good and irreplaceable he is.

The best ability is availability.

15: This game was never really in hand, there was just this illusion that it was.

14: Having Kirk back is a big deal for Kyler.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
David Johnson is a player that is difficult to cover for the other teams, his absence is unbearable for this offense

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I have seen a game with a four point-deficit being turned around before.

Also, if you see the results last season, I would say this was a huge improvement.
Agreed. The argument that it was never a game is strange to me. It's the NFL. Games are tough and against this opponent..I would have taken an ugly win any day.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol. David Johnson didn’t play. If anything, Sunday showed how good and irreplaceable he is.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. How are you going to have a negative "thought" about DJ when he didn't even play. If he had, the game flow could have been much different. He was averaging over 100 yards from scrimmage in the 6 games he played.

Rottweiler

Reaction score
David Johnson is a player that is difficult to cover for the other teams, his absence is unbearable for this offence

exactly , i think this was a major difference maker. Even if he didn't have success on the ground i bet he would have out of the backfield. Additionally once Chase went down we were one dimensional and even worse we were one dimensional and we didn't have a back that new his assignments, no fault to him.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am now completely on the same boat as number 7. It’s really sad to say but he should be a backup at best

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – There is no shame in losing to New Orleans in the Superdome. Great team, great home field advantage. Good luck beating them, all other teams.

2 – Terrell Suggs played well for the first time in a month. Just don’t box score scout, because that will not be pretty this time either.

3 – No, Kyler Murray did not play that well in this game, but where are the rookie mental mistake? That is certainly impressive.

4 – Nice to see that Budda Baker played more up in the box where he is effective.

5 – I feel pretty good that I could create an offensive gameplan against this Cards defense. Run up the middle, run up the middle, throw short to the runningback, run up the middle.

6 – You can’t have the defense on the field all the time. All three phases has to help each other out.

7 - I so much want Haason Reddick to be great, but I just don’t think he is taking big enough strides.

8 – I like Kingsbury’s approach that he defer if he wins the coin toss. I never liked how Arians always took the ball.

9 – I have said it occasionally, and I will say it again: I think it makes sense that you are only good if you show it? You know, Aaron Rodgers is good because he has proved it consistently, and the same with LeBron James, Larry Fitzgerald, Phil Mickelson and so on. At what point do you admit and accept that David Johnson is not that good, simply because he rarely shows it? I don’t know. Now? In a month? The end of this season?

10 – It can’t have been fun to be Zach Zenner. Not many days ago he was on this great Saints-team, and now he was playing against them. He must have thought “oh man…” to himself at least 20 times during the game.

13 – If Bridgewater plays, he takes at least three or four sacks. Brees is just on another level than most, and there was not much wrong with the pass rush.

14 – Good to have Christian Kirk back. I am not sure how big a difference it actually made having him out there, but he is simply just a better receiver than most of the others.

15 – Really this game first got out of hands in the fourth quarter. Winning is obviously the best, but when you remember last season, playing in close, competitive games is great in itself.

The game got out of hand when the Cards took the first time out in the second half.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
#11-I know we need an OT, but we also need a WR, and have MANY defensive needs. Is it possible that Gilbert could return next year?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#11-I know we need an OT, but we also need a WR, and have MANY defensive needs. Is it possible that Gilbert could return next year?

Garth, I strongly believe in continuity, especially on the offensive line, but I do think you are right. I think Murray has played fine, but he is not more than average, and I think that will relatively often cause issues. To me, the problem begins if you potentially substitute Humphries, Shipley and Justin Murray (all three are on the last year of their contracts). Then the unit will look completely new next year, and though I don’t think it is necessarily a huge problem, I do think it is better to keep most of it together.

I had an idea regarding yet another trade that maybe Vaitai (nobody can pronounce his first name) from the Eagles would be a possibility. He has started many games on one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, and rumor is he was available after the Eagles drafted an offensive tackle in the first round. I think he will be attractive on the open market, when his contract runs out after this season.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Garth, I strongly believe in continuity, especially on the offensive line, but I do think you are right. I think Murray has played fine, but he is not more than average, and I think that will relatively often cause issues. To me, the problem begins if you potentially substitute Humphries, Shipley and Justin Murray (all three are on the last year of their contracts). Then the unit will look completely new next year, and though I don’t think it is necessarily a huge problem, I do think it is better to keep most of it together.

I had an idea regarding yet another trade that maybe Vaitai (nobody can pronounce his first name) from the Eagles would be a possibility. He has started many games on one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, and rumor is he was available after the Eagles drafted an offensive tackle in the first round. I think he will be attractive on the open market, when his contract runs out after this season.

Good post. I like to mention the lack of big names on the 2008 superbowl oline a lot.

But even the 2015 NFC West-winning oline wasn't filed with future hall-of-fame-ers. Veldheer and Massie at the Tackles, Sendlein at C, and Iupati and Larsen/Cooper at G. Some good players, but nobody "great" (Veldheer was "very good" for a couple of years).

My point is Gandhi, that I also strongly believe that continuity is more important than overall talent (although I could not begin to explain to you why this is so).

And, we should not invest too much draft or FA capital into this unit. Great offensive lines don't win superbowls. Great defensive lines do, however.

I'm not saying ignore this unit. Yes, resign Hump. Yes, upgrade the C position (which shouldn't be that difficult), yes do something about RT.

But if Hump wants crazy money, cut him lose, and don't use our first round 2020 pick on a LT or RT. Use it for defense instead (or maybe my homeboy Cee Dee if he's still there).

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The defensive front seven is where the biggest impact can be made to this team. With David Johnson, Chrisitan Kirk, and Chase Edmonds healthy, the offense is pretty effective.
Sure, upgrade RT and C if you can, but it isn't the biggest issue.
The main problem is that outside of Chandler Jones, the front seven on D is pretty pedestrian and can be run and passed on. The scheme is defective, but the players aren't Pro Bowl caliber either. Redding has played well over the years, Suggs is a former superhero, but all six of those other positions can be ramped up.

We needed to take Kyler, as it now appears. (Warning: crow eating ahead --->) We'd be 0-fer with Rosen right now.
But it hurts missing out on Bosa and Williams. Get one of those guys first thing next draft.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good post. I like to mention the lack of big names on the 2008 superbowl oline a lot.

But even the 2015 NFC West-winning oline wasn't filed with future hall-of-fame-ers. Veldheer and Massie at the Tackles, Sendlein at C, and Iupati and Larsen/Cooper at G. Some good players, but nobody "great" (Veldheer was "very good" for a couple of years).

My point is Gandhi, that I also strongly believe that continuity is more important than overall talent (although I could not begin to explain to you why this is so).

And, we should not invest too much draft or FA capital into this unit. Great offensive lines don't win superbowls. Great defensive lines do, however.

I'm not saying ignore this unit. Yes, resign Hump. Yes, upgrade the C position (which shouldn't be that difficult), yes do something about RT.

But if Hump wants crazy money, cut him lose, and don't use our first round 2020 pick on a LT or RT. Use it for defense instead (or maybe my homeboy Cee Dee if he's still there).

I completely agree, CW! You could even include the offensive line at the Super Bowl – Mike Gandy, Deuce Lutui, Lyle Sendlein, Reggie Wells, Levi Brown. That is not a lot of great players. :)

I have always been a defense first-guy, so I also strongly agree with your assessment that the resources should be put into the defense, and especially the defensive line. I think Corey Peters is very underrated, but it does not change the fact that he should not be the best player on a unit, and right now he is. Hopefully Zach Allen emerges next season, but other than him, I think there is not a lot to be optimistic about with the current roster. Like you, I would look to use my first round selection on a defensive lineman, with the reservation that many things can happen between now and the draft, and of course it depends on who is available at the time.

P.S. Cee Dee Lamb is a stud. I still remember his catch from last season where he literally stretches out his arm, behind his back, and catches the ball while running full speed in the other direction. It’s probably not a good explanation, but it was remarkable, and he is something else.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The game got out of hand when the Cards took the first time out in the second half.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson