15 thoughts - Cowboys game, preseason

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – This column was delayed because of the situation in Afghanistan. I don’t directly have any stock involved, but I am sure you still understand that it is hard to think about an NFL game.

2 – It never fails: each year someone will say, “well, it is only preseason,” in a caution to not put too much stock into it. Okay, yes, we get it. Most of the guys from, let’s say, the second half will end up getting cut. And so what? Does that mean we should not judge it? Does it mean that the games are worthless? I obviously don’t want to talk for everyone, but I feel pretty sure that no player that are fighting for a roster spot thinks the games are irrelevant or plays half speed. Nobody is expecting to find the Super Bowl-winner in the preseason, but the teams still play hard.

3 – So, because of injury, Josh Jones replaced Justin Murray on the first-string offensive line. Let’s just say that he needs to practice a little to make that switch permanent.

4 – There is this saying that you don’t know what you have until you lose it. Good God, it was nice with fans in the stand again. And it didn’t matter that it was a practice match, and thus very little intensity among the fans, but just to have and feel them (you) around the field again was great.

5 – It was great to see Zaven Collins make a play, but I thought the biggest thing was that I never had the thinking that he was a rookie.

6 – Rondale Moore will be so fun to watch.

7 – The defensive line might be the most difficult unit for a fringe player to break into, but you cannot do more than David Parry did yesterday. “Make a play, young man!” So he did. Several times.

8 – Two Cowboys-player who were fighting a (very) uphill-battle to make their roster went down with injuries, and now they will be gone for maybe four to six weeks. You feel so bad for them. The dark side of the preseason.

9 – Second string (or third? I actually don’t know) left guard, Sean Harlow, was unquestionably the best playing offensive lineman in the game.

10 – What do we say to Kyler Murray’s new haircut?

11 – Chris Streveler might not be the best quarterback on Mother Earth, but he sure is a fun player.

12 – Up-and-down game for Marco Wilson. I certainly want him in the final squad – I certainly don’t want to depend too much on him from the beginning.

13 – Talk about having a rough night, Josh Miles, huh? Yowsa.

14 – Great that both Eno Benjamin and (to a lesser extend) Jonathan Ward had flashes.

15 – I would sleep better at night if I knew for sure that the Cards would not depend much on safety Shawn Williams.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
15 Williams had a terrible game for a veteran.
7. Parry had great penetration but he needs to wrap up and finish to hold that position.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have to say Ward looked didn’t look great which is a massive disappointment. He looked like Drake after he lost his burst.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not all surprised about Afghanistan. I was there almost a decade ago, and the writing was on the wall that the Taliban would take the country back as soon as we left.

The Afghan government was filled with corrupt bureaucrats who were only looking to enrich themselves. The Taliban are true extremists who believe in their cause. The majority of Afghanistan either doesn't care or doesn't want trouble. That means the Taliban is going to win.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
@Gandhi I did see much "down" with Marco Wilson. PFF gave him the games highest grade of any player. If he plays like that every game, he's a quality starter. Two passes broken up.

He makes plays on the ball and looks the part. I think he is a regular by the end of the year. I'm now even more hopeful he can play. I'm less so on Gowan because he plays the receiver and not the ball.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
@Gandhi I did see much "down" with Marco Wilson. PFF gave him the games highest grade of any player. If he plays like that every game, he's a quality starter. Two passes broken up.

He makes plays on the ball and looks the part. I think he is a regular by the end of the year. I'm now even more hopeful he can play. I'm less so on Gowan because he plays the receiver and not the ball.
Gowans first game action in like 15 months. I am really hopeful he can turn into something decent. He's got the size and speed

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to say Ward looked didn’t look great which is a massive disappointment. He looked like Drake after he lost his burst.

I have seen nothing from Ward to think he is even a decent back. I do not get the hype at all.

NFL backs need to show some shiftiness or some tackle breaking ability, I have seen neither from him.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If he plays like that every game, he's a quality starter. Two passes broken up.

I actually agree with you, Krang, and I would not necessarily be afraid of that. It is more in the start of the regular season that I would not like it, as I do think there were mistakes. I obviously don’t know how many of them were mental lapses or physical, but I would assume that he has enough physical ability that it was not the problem.

I would go as far as to say that it potentially could be great if Wilson is playing a lot later in the season, but there is just also the risk that it is because Robert Alford has screwed up, or for that matter has gotten injured again.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, in fairness to Alford, I don't believe his problem was screwing up.

No, Garth, I agree with that. My point was that we basically don’t know if he will be good or not, so if Marco Wilson plays significant snaps later in the season, it might be because Alford has disappointed us.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I actually agree with you, Krang, and I would not necessarily be afraid of that. It is more in the start of the regular season that I would not like it, as I do think there were mistakes. I obviously don’t know how many of them were mental lapses or physical, but I would assume that he has enough physical ability that it was not the problem.

I would go as far as to say that it potentially could be great if Wilson is playing a lot later in the season, but there is just also the risk that it is because Robert Alford has screwed up, or for that matter has gotten injured again.
My hope is that by the end of the season, Marco Wilson is a starter based on merit, not because other players are injured or ineffective.

It would be nice to see a draft where the Cardinals walked away with three really good players (Collins, Moore, and Wilson). That would significantly improve the outlook of this team going forward.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 – This column was delayed because of the situation in Afghanistan. I don’t directly have any stock involved, but I am sure you still understand that it is hard to think about an NFL game.

2 – It never fails: each year someone will say, “well, it is only preseason,” in a caution to not put too much stock into it. Okay, yes, we get it. Most of the guys from, let’s say, the second half will end up getting cut. And so what? Does that mean we should not judge it? Does it mean that the games are worthless? I obviously don’t want to talk for everyone, but I feel pretty sure that no player that are fighting for a roster spot thinks the games are irrelevant or plays half speed. Nobody is expecting to find the Super Bowl-winner in the preseason, but the teams still play hard.

3 – So, because of injury, Josh Jones replaced Justin Murray on the first-string offensive line. Let’s just say that he needs to practice a little to make that switch permanent.

4 – There is this saying that you don’t know what you have until you lose it. Good God, it was nice with fans in the stand again. And it didn’t matter that it was a practice match, and thus very little intensity among the fans, but just to have and feel them (you) around the field again was great.

5 – It was great to see Zaven Collins make a play, but I thought the biggest thing was that I never had the thinking that he was a rookie.

6 – Rondale Moore will be so fun to watch.

7 – The defensive line might be the most difficult unit for a fringe player to break into, but you cannot do more than David Parry did yesterday. “Make a play, young man!” So he did. Several times.

8 – Two Cowboys-player who were fighting a (very) uphill-battle to make their roster went down with injuries, and now they will be gone for maybe four to six weeks. You feel so bad for them. The dark side of the preseason.

9 – Second string (or third? I actually don’t know) left guard, Sean Harlow, was unquestionably the best playing offensive lineman in the game.

10 – What do we say to Kyler Murray’s new haircut?

11 – Chris Streveler might not be the best quarterback on Mother Earth, but he sure is a fun player.

12 – Up-and-down game for Marco Wilson. I certainly want him in the final squad – I certainly don’t want to depend too much on him from the beginning.

13 – Talk about having a rough night, Josh Miles, huh? Yowsa.

14 – Great that both Eno Benjamin and (to a lesser extend) Jonathan Ward had flashes.

15 – I would sleep better at night if I knew for sure that the Cards would not depend much on safety Shawn Williams.
I didnt see the whole game so thanks for the notes!

Personally I like the new Kyler hairstyle vs last years. it's cleaner.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hope is that by the end of the season, Marco Wilson is a starter based on merit, not because other players are injured or ineffective.

It would be nice to see a draft where the Cardinals walked away with three really good players (Collins, Moore, and Wilson). That would significantly improve the outlook of this team going forward.

agreed.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I certainly agree on that. :)