15 thoughts - Chiefs game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Once again I would like to say thank you for all the support I got from you while going through this period. This is a great message board with great people. Knowing that you thought about my grief and wished me well at the very least for a moment means a lot to me, and I have read the thread over and over a lot of times. My heartfelt thank you.

My dad’s funeral was yesterday, and though it was obviously a tough situation to get through, I thought it went well and was a beautiful experience. I think he got a beautiful spot for his graveyard where I can visit him often. It was not the end of our relationship. It was a new beginning.

------------------------

1 – Come on, raise your hand if you also thought “game over” to yourself when the Chiefs scored after 56 seconds. I sure did. Which also means that if I was told the Cards would be down only one touchdown about five minutes into the fourth quarter I would have taken it without thinking twice.

2 – Hey, the Cards won the third quarter for the first time this season.

3 – How great was it to see Byron Leftwich utilizing David Johnson the right way? There’s no doubt that the Cards’ offense runs through Johnson (at least until Rosen is hopefully ready to step into a bigger role - knock on wood), and thus everything seems to work better when Johnson is effective.

4 – All in all I think we can agree that there has been improvement with the team the last couple of games, and I think it’s also fair to say that Byron Leftwich has a lot to do with it. Now, since Steve Wilks got critique for hiring Mike McCoy, he also gets praise for hiring Leftwich.

5 – Sometimes you also just have to give the opponent credit. I think the Chiefs is a very fun team to watch, and I think it will be interesting to see them down the stretch.

Further on that point, what a great play by Justin Houston in the fourth quarter to pick off Rosen. I remember how many of us really wanted the Cards to draft Houston back in 2011, yet one spot ahead of where Houston got selected, the Cards chose tight end Rob Housler. Remember that guy? Didn’t think so.

6 – I really liked the onside kick in the first quarter. The Chiefs had just marched down the field in no time, and taking everything into account (basically the entire season up until that point), the Cards obviously needed a spark. At that time in the first quarter, everyone must have thought that the Cards had to try something right away to keep up. At least I did.

7 – Sometimes Josh Rosen is inaccurate, and by far the most of those times he overthrows his target. I am usually skeptical as to whether accuracy can be improved, but I’m pretty sure this is correctable.

8 – My apology to the concerned person, because I simply can’t remember who it was, but someone mentioned in another thread how some years ago Justin Pugh was playing very well at left guard. How on earth is it then that the Cards use him at right guard? Has Mike Iupati really played that well? Not in my opinion.

9 – Well, at least the Cards beat the Chiefs in the coin toss, handing the Chiefs their first coin toss-loss in 13 games.

10 – I’m not sure what I feel about Holcomb’s bend-but-don’t-break defense. I’m a fan of defenses, and I really like watching dominant defenses. Obviously, it’s good when a defense are able to clamp down when it matters the most, but I don’t really like that they don’t go all-in on stopping the offense earlier. You know, like it was for years under Ray Horton, Todd Bowles and James Bettcher.

11 – That said, the defense held Mahomes to under 300 passing yards for the first time in nine games, and under three touchdowns for the first time in five games and third time this season. They also held the Chiefs to their lowest scoring total this season.

12 – Did you hear Rosen’s interview last week? “Byron is sort of a B.A. descendant, and [Arians] is sort of a ghostly legend in this building.” What a great, great line. So, when is Arians coming back (I mean to coach. Not to haunt)?

By the way, when I am on the subject of Arians, was anyone really surprised that he said he would consider the Browns-job after how he was praising their city, their stadium and their fans before the Cards played them in 2015? B.A. obviously has a special bond with that team.

13 – I consider the Cards pretty big favorites against the Raiders next week, and yes, that actually was one of my thoughts during this game, especially early when I still thought the Chiefs would eventually slip away. In fact, that game against Oakland has been on my radar for quite some time.

14 - By the way, talk about a series of slap-in-the-face to the poor fans in Oakland, huh? First they are asked to watch and support their beloved team for two years knowing full well that the powers within the organization are moving the team to another city, and now Gruden is selling all their best players, basically securing a top draft pick which the fans in Oakland won’t get to witness the team use firsthand anyway. From the fans’ perspective, that’s like the worst breakup ever.

15 – Football Outsiders use their DVOA-ranking system (which I trust to a large degree) and the teams’ schedule to measure the chance of a team getting the #1 pick in the draft. Through week ten that “honor” goes to the Oakland Raiders with a 54.5% chance. The Cards are second with a 12.9% chance, while the Giants are third with a 12.1% chance and the Niners are fourth with a 11.3% chance.

For what it’s worth, through week nine ESPN Stats & Information had the Raiders as their favorite with a 45.1% chance and the Cards second with a 22.6% chance, but I don’t know how they reach that conclusion.

Anyway, it goes without saying that next weeks matchup in Arizona could have huge implications, though in case two teams has identical records the first tiebreaker will be Strength of Schedule (team with easiest schedule picks first). The last update I saw on that was through week nine where Oakland had the third lowest Strength of Schedule in the league while Arizona had the 10th easiest. It has not changed much after week 10, and looking at the two teams’ schedule the rest of the way, Arizona has the easiest as it stands right now with their remaining opponent being 32-31-1 while Oakland’s is a combined 38-26-1. It will undoubtable change but in other words, if the Raiders win next week, and if the Cards then lose out, it is not farfetched to think that the Cardinals could get the #1 overall pick. I’m not sure I want them to get that pick, even at this point, but at least it’s worth thinking about.

Personally, I think the Cards are good enough to win next week and at least one more game the rest of the way, while I don’t think the Raiders will win again this season.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
First Chiefs drive: how do you turn Tyreek Hill loose ----- twice? It would be one thing if a DB was choosing between covering, lets say, Hill and Kelce, and as a result, Mike Conley gets loose for a couple big plays. But Tyreek Hill? It speaks to coaching.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The one thing I thought about in regards to this game was this. If the Cardinals had the same record, but played this competitive in most the games then I would not be nearly as upset and disgusted with what has been going on this year.

That being said, if the Cardinals played like this the 1st half of the season they would not be 2-7, maybe 3-6 but not 2-7.

That is what is damning about this current team and coaching staff, they look horrible, and noncompetitive most of the time.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Further on that point, what a great play by Justin Houston in the fourth quarter to pick off Rosen. I remember how many of us really wanted the Cards to draft Houston back in 2011, yet one spot ahead of where Houston got selected, the Cards chose tight end Rob Housler. Remember that guy? Didn’t think so.

Next year Housler is going to break out! You will see, you will all see.
:sarcasm:

....and then Ryan Williams is going to be the next big thing at the running back position.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Next year Housler is going to break out! You will see, you will all see.
:sarcasm:

....and then Ryan Williams is going to be the next big thing at the running back position.

Oh yeah, Rugby, that was a great pick. Overall, the combo of Rod Graves and Ken Whisenhunt made some fantastic picks in their six drafts. I mean, how about Levi Brown? Or third round pick Buster Davis who got cut after training camp? Chris Wells, Cody Brown, Dan Williams. In all fairness, they did select players such as Patrick Peterson, Calais Campbell and Daryl Washington (yes, he was a great player).

Actually, if you look it up I think they were about the average.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one thing I thought about in regards to this game was this. If the Cardinals had the same record, but played this competitive in most the games then I would not be nearly as upset and disgusted with what has been going on this year.

That being said, if the Cardinals played like this the 1st half of the season they would not be 2-7, maybe 3-6 but not 2-7.

That is what is damning about this current team and coaching staff, they look horrible, and noncompetitive most of the time.
Actually the Cards should have beaten both the Bears and Seahawks and should have 4 wins.

And Ghandi, thoughts to your family. Having lost my day 18 months ago I can feel your pain.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First Chiefs drive: how do you turn Tyreek Hill loose ----- twice? It would be one thing if a DB was choosing between covering, lets say, Hill and Kelce, and as a result, Mike Conley gets loose for a couple big plays. But Tyreek Hill? It speaks to coaching.

Then it speaks to coaching all around the league cause they've been destroying people all year.

Sometimes you gotta give credit to the other guys. They are really good.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I thought Markus Golden had his best game of the season. Hammer Keim all you want, but the defensive end position for the Cards is legit.

I think people are overrating the second half performance of this team. The Chiefs could essentially move the ball at will; they took their foot off the pedal because they have a bigger game next week. Pat Mahomes only threw 11 passes after halftime.

Kansas City allows 5.1 YPC; David Johnson averaged 4.7. Kansas City allows 26 points per game; the Cards managed 14. We deserve better than a below average offense.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Markus Golden had his best game of the season. Hammer Keim all you want, but the defensive end position for the Cards is legit.

Amen. Chandler Jones is a one man wrecking crew. I love the combination of Jones and Golden. Golden has improved each and every game that he has been back from his injury. My favorite thing about Golden is his passion for the game and non stop motor.

Also kudos to the unsung hero on the DL Corey Peters. He quietly had another stellar game.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people are overrating the second half performance of this team. The Chiefs could essentially move the ball at will; they took their foot off the pedal because they have a bigger game next week. Pat Mahomes only threw 11 passes after halftime.

Yeah right... The Chiefs had one drive in the 3rd quarter that ended in a punt. Although I'm sure KC felt very comfortable with their one score lead heading into the 4th quarter. Especially when their first drive in the 4th was a 3 and out again. So they punt the ball to the Cardinals giving the Cardinals a chance to tie the game up. That's a pretty cocky team when your defense just gave up a 13 play drive for a TD with a quarter and a half left to play!

The reason Mahomes only threw 11 passes in the second half:

The Cardinals Offense controlled the football for most of the 3rd quarter. The one time the Chiefs had the football in the 3rd the Cardinals Defense forced them to punt.

The Chiefs went 3 and out 4 times in the 4th quarter.​

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah right... The Cheifs had one drive in the 3rd quarter that ended in a punt. Although I'm sure KC felt very comfortable with their one score lead heading into the 4th quarter. Especially when their first drive in the 4th was a 3 and out again. So they punt the ball to the Cardinals giving the Cardinals a chance to tie the game up. That's a pretty cocky team when your defense just gave up a 13 play drive for a TD with a quarter and a half left to play!

The Cardinals Offense controlled the football for most of the 3rd quarter. The one time the Cheifs had the football in the 3rd the Cardinals Defense forced them to punt.

The Cheifs went 3 and out 4 times in the 4th quarter.​

Good post

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah right... The Cheifs had one drive in the 3rd quarter that ended in a punt. Although I'm sure KC felt very comfortable with their one score lead heading into the 4th quarter. Especially when their first drive in the 4th was a 3 and out again. So they punt the ball to the Cardinals giving the Cardinals a chance to tie the game up. That's a pretty cocky team when your defense just gave up a 13 play drive for a TD with a quarter and a half left to play!

The Cardinals Offense controlled the football for most of the 3rd quarter. The one time the Cheifs had the football in the 3rd the Cardinals Defense forced them to punt.

The Cheifs went 3 and out 4 times in the 4th quarter.​

Chiefs, Chiefs, and Chiefs. Otherwise, I agree 100% with your comments.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah right... The Chiefs had one drive in the 3rd quarter that ended in a punt. Although I'm sure KC felt very comfortable with their one score lead heading into the 4th quarter. Especially when their first drive in the 4th was a 3 and out again. So they punt the ball to the Cardinals giving the Cardinals a chance to tie the game up. That's a pretty cocky team when your defense just gave up a 13 play drive for a TD with a quarter and a half left to play!

The Cardinals Offense controlled the football for most of the 3rd quarter. The one time the Chiefs had the football in the 3rd the Cardinals Defense forced them to punt.

The Chiefs went 3 and out 4 times in the 4th quarter.​

What after the first quarter really highlighted that the Az offense had a pulse to overcome a one-score deficit?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think it would be way too risky for the Chiefs to think that way, Kerouac. Yes, they can basically score at will, and yes, they have a big game coming up, but they were still only up by one touchdown into the fourth quarter. They definitely risked losing if they took the foot of the pedal, and if so, they could lose significant ground in their division with a bye week coming up (where the Chargers can gain even more ground) and a game versus the Chargers in a month. Further, they are not that far ahead in the race for #1 seed in the AFC, especially against a very hot Steelers-team, the Patriots, the Chargers and maybe even some of the other good teams that could go on a streak in the second half of the regular season.

If you are correct, and the Chiefs did in fact relax a bit in the second half, I think they would be playing severely with fire.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Love the optimism, but I don't understand it.

The team is 2-7 and YES it was over after 56 seconds...because the Cards never led once in the game....not for 1 second.

2. They lost by 12 which is HUGE HUGE HUGE by NFL standards

3. We shouldn't be celebrating that the game was still interesting in the 4th quarter....shoot WE SHOULD EXPECT IT.

4. They are all professionals and they're playing like amateurs.

5. The team is 2-7 and been knocked out of the playoffs since OCTOBER

6. They are not competitive ....they're a joke of the NFL and every team and fan of the NFL doesn't take the Cardinals serious...they write a W in before the game starts...and they are correct in doing so.

Sorry to hear about your dad...you did a nice write up on him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think it would be way too risky for the Chiefs to think that way, Kerouac. Yes, they can basically score at will, and yes, they have a big game coming up, but they were still only up by one touchdown into the fourth quarter. They definitely risked losing if they took the foot of the pedal, and if so, they could lose significant ground in their division with a bye week coming up (where the Chargers can gain even more ground) and a game versus the Chargers in a month. Further, they are not that far ahead in the race for #1 seed in the AFC, especially against a very hot Steelers-team, the Patriots, the Chargers and maybe even some of the other good teams that could go on a streak in the second half of the regular season.

If you are correct, and the Chiefs did in fact relax a bit in the second half, I think they would be playing severely with fire.
I don't believe they intended to let up, but I think the players basically started looking ahead to next week after half time. Especially their offense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah, we are still a poorly coached team with a need for an influx of talent.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, I think the Cards show marked improvement this last game. They played the Chiefs, one of the top teams in the NFL, tough, at their place. Everyone, except for one or two people on here, were expecting a blow out loss. This game was not a blow out (I would check the Panthers, Bengals, Jets and Patriots games/scores for what might be considered a blow out, maybe, but not this game, imho).

Gandhi, I'm sorry for the loss of your father. God be with you and your family.

I enjoy reading your 15 thoughts after the games. Please keep it up. I mostly always agree with what you say. Your "thoughts" are so much more enjoyable to read than most others on here, simply because they are generally more positive and interesting. You're looking at/for the good much more than the bad. I enjoy that.

Thank you

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Love the optimism, but I don't understand it.

The team is 2-7 and YES it was over after 56 seconds...because the Cards never led once in the game....not for 1 second.

2. They lost by 12 which is HUGE HUGE HUGE by NFL standards

3. We shouldn't be celebrating that the game was still interesting in the 4th quarter....shoot WE SHOULD EXPECT IT.

4. They are all professionals and they're playing like amateurs.

5. The team is 2-7 and been knocked out of the playoffs since OCTOBER

6. They are not competitive ....they're a joke of the NFL and every team and fan of the NFL doesn't take the Cardinals serious...they write a W in before the game starts...and they are correct in doing so.

Sorry to hear about your dad...you did a nice write up on him.

I definitely understand what you are saying, and I guess it’s just my way of reacting to the situation with a bit of optimism and humor. I guess you could say that I am very annoyed with the sad state of the organization, but I don’t like to be furious for too long about something I can’t control anyway, even though it might be the more logical reaction.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I enjoy reading your 15 thoughts after the games. Please keep it up. I mostly always agree with what you say. Your "thoughts" are so much more enjoyable to read than most others on here, simply because they are generally more positive and interesting. You're looking at/for the good much more than the bad. I enjoy that.

Thank you

Thank you, Gimpy! It means a lot, so thank you for taking the time to say it.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about your loss.I lost my father when I was 19.I was lucky that my Mom had remarried a great guy and he is still around at 85.Unfortunately Mom passed at age 58 from cancer .I lost my better half in 2016 to Pancreactic cancer and it still hurts every day and I miss her ..You have to think that your loved one is in a better place and not hurting.It helps somewhat.Remember the good times and take it one day at a time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson