15 thoughts - Chiefs game, preseason

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I should not be this frustrated after a preseason game. I understand that.

2 – It would be nice if Kingsbury and the assistant coaches added “practicing tackling” to the weekly schedule. For all defenders on the roster.

3 – That is the Isaiah Simmons I have been hoping to see since he was drafted!

4 – Exciting to see guard Sean Harlow get snaps with the first team unit after his great game last week. Yes yes, I am aware that both Justin Pugh, Justin Murray and Brian Winters was out, but still…

5 – Who watches Monday Night Football, with two teams they don’t follow, in the preseason? I am not pointing fingers at anyone. It just surprises me that they apparently have a big enough audience for making such a broadcast.

6 – I like what I have seen from Malcolm Butler.

7 – Mr. Bidwill, please buy some new grass.

8 – Wide receiver Antoine Wesley is an interesting story. He exploded in 2018, in what turned out to be both his and Kingsbury’s last year at Texas Tech. Will Kingsbury trust that he can again use Wesley effectively, or will he stay with Keesean Johnson, who knows the system, team, culture, teammates? I see those two as about similar, so I would guess they have a battle between them.

9 – In the same way, I see Greg Dortch and Andy Isabella fighting it out. I like Dortch. He is a nice role player.

10 – One thing I look for when backups suddenly play with the first stringers – for whatever reason – is if it elevates their game. Not “just” if their game is good enough to keep up, but if they become better from it, because at least in theory it should raise the bar of their abilities to play with better plays around them.

Anyway, all that just to say that I thought edge rusher Victor Dimukeje played well.

11 – Last week it was Josh Miles who were beaten again and again like a drum. This week that honor went to Marcus Henry. Humiliation.

12 – I see what they like in Byron Murphy. Breakout year? Okay, calm down, Gandhi.

13 – Tight end Ross Travis made at least two really good plays deep into the fourth quarter – and he even got a little playing time with the one’s. He has also been highlighted for his play in training camp. With the Cards’ not-so-impressive tight end situation I wonder if he could be a dark horse.

14 – It never stop to impress me how linebacker Tanner Vallejo constantly make plays when he is on the field. Try to look for it. He always does something good.

15 – We are at a point where I would be very surprised if Taj Gowan makes this team.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Good stuff Gandhi.

1- Offense was really bad.

8/9- I think KJ gets a spot and if I had to pick between Wesley, Isabella, and Dortch- it would be Wesley due to size.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn’t see that much to like. Thought it was a pedestrian effort. Cardinals were playing a team that was in the last Super Bowl. Was expecting a better performance from players and coaches. If they can’t get up for this one, I wonder who they will get up for.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnson has looked smooth and very comfortable finding the open spots in the zone coverages. Wesley to practice squad.
Dortch looks like a thicker quicker version of what we thought Isabella was going to be. But if politics play a role Isabella will make the team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely mot impressed by Gowan. He looks PS bound to me…

I think he makes the 53 simply because it's Gowan, Whitaker or Worley fighting for that last spot and Gowan is probably the best choice of the 3.

Murphy
Alford
Butler
Dennard
Wilson
Gowan

I don't see anyone else on the roster worthy of the 6th CB spot, but for sure he's raw.

Last edited:

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
5. Its broadcaster pre season, too! How many underpaid interns do you think that production has running around trying to figure out how do their job?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think he makes the 53 simply because it's Gowan, Whitaker or Worley fighting for that last spot and Gowan is probably the best choice of the 3.

Murphy
Alford
Butler
Dennard
Wilson
Gowan

I don;t see anyone else on the roster worthy of the 6th CB spot, but for sure he's raw.
The interesting question will be if the battle is between Dennard and Wilson. I don't know if the team will keep 6 CBs, but if Wilson shows enough to convince the team he can be the 4th, why keep a street FA over a rookie when the rookie is getting a ton of reps?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The interesting question will be if the battle is between Dennard and Wilson. I don't know if the team will keep 6 CBs, but if Wilson shows enough to convince the team he can be the 4th, why keep a street FA over a rookie when the rookie is getting a ton of reps?

All things being normal I think they would keep 6 just due to Alford's injury history but they carried over the protected practice squad players from last year and that's why they only kept 4 on the 53 in 2020. They had Whitaker and Amukamara on the PS and often protected.

Problem is, they have to make it through initial waivers/cuts before you can protect them which was fine last year as our PS CB's were gash but Collins and Dennard definitely wouldn't make it. Dennard is an under rated player. Not in that he his great, but he's the kind of cheap, solid vet with starting experience that teams like on their roster. I think he will play quite a bit this season. So I think both those make the 53.

Gowan could go either way. I can see a team claiming him but I wouldn't be too upset about that.

Will likely come down to ST's. We kept 5 safeties last year due to ST's ability, which is 1 too many. If they like Gowan on ST's over say Washington then he may stick.

But yes now I factor in the protected players it could go either way.

For what it's worth, they kept 3 QB's on the roster last year and think they only keep 2 this year. So they should have an extra roster spot to use somewhere. I don't see the point using 3. If we did lose both QB's to covid then dollars to donuts Hundley is available off the street.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Murphy
Alford
Butler
Dennard
Wilson
Gowan

I don't see anyone else on the roster worthy of the 6th CB spot, but for sure he's raw.

I don't see why Whitaker keeps getting looks? I guess they like the athletic ability because he seems to have a fatal flaw for a CB in that he doesn't seem to play the ball well in the air and he seems to have a real issue changing directions which has led to him at times just looking absolutely silly against good NFL WR's. Gowan is faster but clearly raw but yeah it would not surprise me if Gowan makes it just on speed and ST potential while they hope to teach him how to play in the NFL.

But we seem to like Jace so wouldn't surprise me if he makes it

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't see why Whitaker keeps getting looks? I guess they like the athletic ability because he seems to have a fatal flaw for a CB in that he doesn't seem to play the ball well in the air and he seems to have a real issue changing directions which has led to him at times just looking absolutely silly against good NFL WR's. Gowan is faster but clearly raw but yeah it would not surprise me if Gowan makes it just on speed and ST potential while they hope to teach him how to play in the NFL.

But we seem to like Jace so wouldn't surprise me if he makes it
Giving guys like Jace reps in preaseason is more about making sure you know what they are. It actually has been one of my favorite things with our preseason.

Dimukeje has played 113 preseason snaps.

Whitaker has played 90 preseason snaps.

Tay Gowen - 77 snaps.

Zaven - 65 snaps.

Simmons - 55 snaps.

Similar trend offensively.

Miles has played 94 snaps.

KJohnson - 71 snaps.

Joshua Jones - 50 snaps.

Dortch - 32 snaps.

I feel like health is less important for all of these players than finding out exactly what they can and can't do heading into roster cuts and the season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Giving guys like Jace reps in preaseason is more about making sure you know what they are. It actually has been one of my favorite things with our preseason.

Tay Gowen - 77 snaps.

Zaven - 65 snaps.

Simmons - 55 snaps.

KJohnson - 71 snaps.

Joshua Jones - 50 snaps.

Dortch - 32 snaps.

I feel like health is less important for all of these players than finding out exactly what they can and can't do heading into roster cuts and the season.
Dimukeje played pretty early in the Chiefs game and he was around the ball a far amount. He looks like he might make it.

If it came down to Dennard vs. Gowan, I'd probably keep Dennard. Gowan is athletic and has good length, but he doesn't play the ball and Dennard is a proven vet who has actually started.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Dimukeje played pretty early in the Chiefs game and he was around the ball a far amount. He looks like he might make it.

If it came down to Dennard vs. Gowan, I'd probably keep Dennard. Gowan is athletic and has good length, but he doesn't play the ball and Dennard is a proven vet who has actually started.
My guess is that the Cardinals will want more than 2 CBs (Murphy and Wilson) signed for 2022 vs the depth of Dennard.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My guess is that the Cardinals will want more than 2 CBs (Murphy and Wilson) signed for 2022 vs the depth of Dennard.
I'm actually a lot more bullish on the Cardinals CBs after the first two preseason games.

Murphy has looked good, Wilson looks like he can play, and Butler and Alford are known quantities.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Tay Gowen - 77 snaps.

Zaven - 65 snaps.

Simmons - 55 snaps.

KJohnson - 71 snaps.

Joshua Jones - 50 snaps.

Dortch - 32 snaps.

One thing against Dennard. It looks like he's been injured and hasn't played any pre season snaps yet.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gowan and Whitaker both seem to struggle to react to the ball but since Gowan is a better athlete I'd assume we might favor him but we seem to like Whitaker.

Fatal flaw for a CB is struggling to play the ball. Whitaker played some S in college but I don't see that here. My guess is whoever we think is the better ST player will get the spot

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Gowan and Whitaker both seem to struggle to react to the ball but since Gowan is a better athlete I'd assume we might favor him but we seem to like Whitaker.

Fatal flaw for a CB is struggling to play the ball. Whitaker played some S in college but I don't see that here. My guess is whoever we think is the better ST player will get the spot
One thing that I have seen about Gowan is that he does stay on the receivers hip. Sometimes young corners have to let the game slow down before they feel comfortable looking back for the ball.

Whitaker looks like a fringe roster guy, but damn, no one is worse than Kevin Peterson, I'm glad that guy is gone. I think Whitaker is decent as a practice squad, emergency type player.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
2. Gowan seems ready for the Practice Squad. Has speed and potential, but not ready for the 53. JMO.

Yes, Garth, I agree. Gowan seems like a clear practice squad-candidate. High potential, but not yet good enough.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave