15 thoughts - Browns game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Was this Fitz’ last home game? If so, he went out with a great game. I am very happy about that.

2 – Really good game by the interior offensive line.

3 – I think this was the first time Jay Feely was a color analyst at a Cards game, and I thought he did well. Props, Jay!

4 – When they searched for a new defensive coordinator you almost got the impression that being a former head coach was one of the most important criteria, so that he could help Kingsbury in various ways. How much does Vance Joseph do that we fans know nothing about? Be careful judging.

5 – Six trips to the red zone, with six scores and five touchdowns.

6 – My God, they are poor at tackling.

7 – I have been criticizing Reddick consistently, but I do feel bad for him that he gets injured halfway through a game in which he was supposed to prove something at a new position. If he does not bounce back the last two games he will be cut in the offseason.

8 – Budda Baker has been pretty good since primarily being moved away from coverage.

9 – Really cool how Humphries got to spike the ball after the last Drake-touchdown. How often has he done that? I don’t know, but I am guessing zero times.

10 – Many people has buried Patrick Peterson. Now praise him. It is only fair.

11 – I have been on the Jalen Thompson bandwagon all year, and I am certainly not stopping. Sure, he makes mistakes in pass defense – he is a rookie – but has he missed a tackle all season (certainly as the only defender)?

12 – Did the Cards seal Steve Wilks’ fate again?

13 – I think Kyler Murray is exiting. I think Byron Murphy is exiting. I think Jordan Hicks is exiting. I think Kenyan Drake is exiting. I think Jalen Thompson is exiting. I think Maxx Williams is exiting. I wonder who brought them in this offseason? Oh yeah, that’s right, Steve Keim did.

14 – Cornerback Chris Jones went from playing 12% in week 10, to 2.7% in week 11, to 0% last week, to now suddenly 74.3%. What happened? He basically took all the snaps cornerback Kevin Peterson and safety Chris Banjo collectively played against the Steelers. At least you can’t say Vance Joseph is not trying.

15 - In just a bit we will move on, so tell me about these Andrew Thomas- and Derrick Brown-guys?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That Fitz's 3 receptions for 45 yards qualifies as a "Great Game" probably speaks to that he should retire.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Was this Fitz’ last home game? If so, he went out with a great game. I am very happy about that.

3 – I think this was the first time Jay Feely was a color analyst at a Cards game, and I thought he did well. Props, Jay!

4 – When they searched for a new defensive coordinator you almost got the impression that being a former head coach was one of the most important criteria, so that he could help Kingsbury in various ways. How much does Vance Joseph do that we fans know nothing about? Be careful judging.

7 – I have been criticizing Reddick consistently, but I do feel bad for him that he gets injured halfway through a game in which he was supposed to prove something at a new position. If he does not bounce back the last two games he will be cut in the offseason.

8 – Budda Baker has been pretty good since primarily being moved away from coverage.

9 – Really cool how Humphries got to spike the ball after the last Drake-touchdown. How often has he done that? I don’t know, but I am guessing zero times.

11 – I have been on the Jalen Thompson bandwagon all year, and I am certainly not stopping. Sure, he makes mistakes in pass defense – he is a rookie – but has he missed a tackle all season (certainly as the only defender)?

13 – I think Kyler Murray is exiting. I think Byron Murphy is exiting. I think Jordan Hicks is exiting. I think Kenyan Drake is exiting. I think Jalen Thompson is exiting. I think Maxx Williams is exiting. I wonder who brought them in this offseason? Oh yeah, that’s right, Steve Keim did.

14 – Cornerback Chris Jones went from playing 12% in week 10, to 2.7% in week 11, to 0% last week, to now suddenly 74.3%. What happened? He basically took all the snaps cornerback Kevin Peterson and safety Chris Banjo collectively played against the Steelers. At least you can’t say Vance Joseph is not trying.

15 - In just a bit we will move on, so tell me about these Andrew Thomas- and Derrick Brown-guys?
13. Ex{C}iting ?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Will K2 need the Vance Joseph coaching cheat sheet next year? I'm not so sure.

Will Keim be saved because of those exciting players or the random 1st round blunder you mentioned in #7?

Our WR's are not creating enough space between them and their defender.

Cleveland looked like we did last year. I feel sort of bad for them. #Wilks

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

If Ron Rivera gets the Browns job, he might retain Wilks in some capacity, e.g. linebacker coach and assistant head coach. The real question is whether Dorsey and Haslim are smart enough to realize that Rivera is a perfect fit for their disjointed and undisciplined roster. Hope he (Rivera) goes there since the Cardinals won't see Cleveland again for four years.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That Fitz's 3 receptions for 45 yards qualifies as a "Great Game" probably speaks to that he should retire.

Sure, you can choose to look at it that way. I choose to see a 36 year old player getting open and making three big catches that all went for first downs. It’s just a matter of perspective.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Will Keim be saved because of those exciting players or the random 1st round blunder you mentioned in #7?

I am not sure it is about being saved, Jones. I am inclined to believe it is about mr. Bidwill believing so much in the project that he looks some time ahead, and thus don’t necessarily look too closely on what Keim did in previous years with Arians and Wilks.

Our WR's are not creating enough space between them and their defender.

I agree, and it is a big problem. Really big.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

If Ron Rivera gets the Browns job, he might retain Wilks in some capacity, e.g. linebacker coach and assistant head coach. The real question is whether Dorsey and Haslim are smart enough to realize that Rivera is a perfect fit for their disjointed and undisciplined roster. Hope he (Rivera) goes there since the Cardinals won't see Cleveland again for four years.

Good call, Red!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I did not think Buddha had a good game. He had lots of missed tackles, poor angles. Not quite as good as our last # 32. Jalen isn’t quite there yet, hopefully he improves.

I thought he had a good game, Jasper, but it is not impossible that I compare a little too much with his performances in the start of this season. And no, Jalen Thompson is not there yet. He is a rookie. I think he is developing nicely.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

10. I commented in a thread on PP, giving him props for playing the way he did. Looked like the old PP. Having said that, I wanna see him cover man to man against the #1 WR's for Seattle & the Rams. If he looks good then, maybe he is back? OBJ was injured, dealing with a hernia so he wasn't 100%. Does it take PP playing against an LSU alum now to get him motivated?

13. I've given SK props this season for the Sweezy signing & the OL coach Sean Kugler. Also on KK & KM. KD was a good pickup also. Problem with SK is this, he gets more players wrong than he gets right which is frustrating. IMO, he isn't going anywhere so I hope he uses the cap money wisely, & gets the right pieces for this team.

14. Kevin Peterson was on the injury report so that may have had something to do with Chris Jones playing so much? The coaches said they were gonna play the young players & see what they have?

15. I would be happy with Andrew Thomas (best LT in the draft) or Derrick Brown (best DT in the draft) Brown is a beast & I would rather us draft him. I believe Humphries will be resigned & not totally sure Thomas can play RT? I may be wrong though. I feel like a disruptive DT would do wonders for our pass rush, it would free up CJ. The DL needs the most help imo.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not sure it is about being saved, Jones. I am inclined to believe it is about mr. Bidwill believing so much in the project that he looks some time ahead, and thus don’t necessarily look too closely on what Keim did in previous years with Arians and Wilks.

I agree, and it is a big problem. Really big.
If we do get a #1 WR in the draft or FA, that will help Larry out even more in the slot. He's sure handed, 8-12 yd underneath routes will open up for him even more. I'm interested to see what we have with Butler? He's 6'5" & Dan Arnold is 6' 6". That would be very interesting in the red zone next season.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baker and Thompson are part of the problem with our pass D. Yes they can tackle. Can't cover anyone.
Yeah.. seems like we can never have our cake and eat it too. Never the balanced player back there it seems.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
15. I would be happy with Andrew Thomas (best LT in the draft) or Derrick Brown (best DT in the draft) Brown is a beast & I would rather us draft him. I believe Humphries will be resigned & not totally sure Thomas can play RT? I may be wrong though. I feel like a disruptive DT would do wonders for our pass rush, it would free up CJ. The DL needs the most help imo.

I agree, CFL. Depending on what happens in free agency, I would also lean defensive line right now. It is just so uninspiring to see the current unit, and I am a big believer that games are primarily won in the trenches. Right now I would say that it has to be a trench guy.

I do know that Andrew Thomas used to play right tackle for Georgia.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

1 Fitz good, not great - check his career
2 No blitzes, wide DL gaps, nice Xmas present
4 That’s why we post
6 No kidding, actually for both teams
10 Salary vs overall performance
11 Jalen could develop
12 No one deserves it more
13 That’s 6 guy

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree, CFL. Depending on what happens in free agency, I would also lean defensive line right now. It is just so uninspiring to see the current unit, and I am a big believer that games are primarily won in the trenches. Right now I would say that it has to be a trench guy.

I do know that Andrew Thomas used to play right tackle for Georgia.
Yes sir. Our 1st pick depends on who we sign in FA imo. I did not know Thomas played RT at any point.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oof. It takes some guts to be a Keim apologist after what he has accomplished here in the past few years. Kudos to you I guess.

Sorry I didn’t get to answer this one, Dreamcast.

I don’t see myself as a Keim apologist. I certainly see all his mistakes. I just think I have a slightly different perspective. And I also think that, realistically, Mr. Bidwill are not going to let him go now, so I guess I am also trying to find the positives.

Merry Christmas!

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have the same question. Apparently, he hasn't lost the ability to dominate when he wants to, but I haven't seen a lot of effort this year besides last week.
There was a video on here, probably still is? Yesterday. 15:00 clip where he's mic'd up. He said something to VJ, can't remember his exact words. Something like "I'm back" or "this is how I'm gonna play from now on" probably not even close to those words but of that nature. We shall see come Sunday?