13 Reasons Why (Netflix)

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Just watched this 13 part series. Was expecting a run of the mill teen drama, but man this show is surprisingly good. Well made, strong cast. It would be a crime if Kate Walsh is not nominated for an Emmy for her performance here.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of it so:

13 Reasons Why is an American television series based on the 2007 novel Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and adapted by Brian Yorkey for Netflix.[2] Diana Son and Brian Yorkey are co-showrunners on the series.[3] The first season consists of thirteen episodes.[4] All episodes, and the special 13 Reasons Why: Beyond the Reasons, were released on Netflix on March 31, 2017. The show follows a student still recovering from his friend's suicide, when he receives a box of tapes containing the reasons behind her death.[5]

Originally conceived as a film set to be released by Universal Pictures with Selena Gomez in the lead role, the adaptation was picked up as a television series by Netflix in late 2015. Gomez served as an executive producer. The series received universal acclaim from critics and audiences, who praised its subject matter and casting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_Reasons_Why

Looks pretty good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought it was really solid, except for Tony magically being anywhere and everywhere as plot needed (and that really dumb moment with the fight)... and the fact that everyone in the show kept asking clay if he had listened to his tape yet... as if his was going to be the WORST... and it just clearly wasn't anything of the kind... and was pretty predictable as to why he was on a tape.

oh... and the thing at the end that I'm assuming sets up a S2... meh.

man, that makes it sound like i didn't like it at all... which I did!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wasnt feeling it. Very overdramatic "Highschool is serious business" nonsense. Emotional HS girl kills herself because people spread rumors.

Reminded me of "Cyberbully", lifetime tv movie. Exact.Same.Premise. Emotional HS girl (trys to)kill herself because people spread rumors. But she fails because of child safety caps, lmao

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must not have watched much of it.

I did. Thats exactly what happens. The rape was just a predictable +1 to the melodrama. Of course she was raped. Walk down the street and slip on a banana peel and you get raped in 2017. what is a teen drama without rape? Boring.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasnt feeling it. Very overdramatic "Highschool is serious business" nonsense. Emotional HS girl kills herself because people spread rumors.

Reminded me of "Cyberbully", lifetime tv movie. Exact.Same.Premise. Emotional HS girl (trys to)kill herself because people spread rumors. But she fails because of child safety caps, lmao

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If it's half as funny as this clip, I'm in!

The YouTube comments have me in tears.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Just watched this 13 part series. Was expecting a run of the mill teen drama, but man this show is surprisingly good. Well made, strong cast. It would be a crime if Kate Walsh is not nominated for an Emmy for her performance here.
Thanks for posting this. 2 episodes in and really enjoying the show.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Its good so far, I'm on 10, but how can a girl have so many issues in her life? Its getting a little ridiculous that everyone she knows has done something to her or someone else.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think this is far outside the realm of possibility, unfortunately. New girl who immediately gets reputation for being easy becomes an instant target for guys and gets shunned by girls.

This has been really good, but does it make any of the rest of you uncomfortable being entertained by the death of teenager who was bullied? Even if it's fiction it makes my skin crawl when I think about it.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I finished the last episode last night. I started watching it because we have lost a cousin (male) and the daughter of close friends our us and our sons' best friend. both by suicide, in the last year. Both were not much older than Hannah was.

I was shocked to see that Hannah looked and acted so much like our friend's daughter. It was scary. When I watched the episodes, it was like watching our friend, and not an actor.

The entire series was very difficult for me to watch, but I could not stop. The final bathtub scene sent me over the edge and I could not watch.

I have always said that we all went though a lot in high school and we got through it. But after talking to current teenagers attending high school, it looks like I am wrong and things are very different now.

I graduated from high school almost 50 years ago and it looks like I have a lot to learn about what is going on now.

This show was a real eye opener for me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I sat down to watch this because we have a teenager daughter entering these years and she begged to watch it. Honestly, this was hard for the entire family to watch. I think I might have not let her watch it but all her friends did.

Let's just say we had a long conversation with my daughter about this and we feel like it was a really productive conversation. So there is that.

P.S. The makeup artist for this series should be fired. This has to be some of the worst make up I have ever seen on a series.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I get a girl will be bullied, but how in the world can she have gone through all of this, especially walking over and staying in the hot tub with the guy she saw rape her friend. I loved the show and it was an eye opener but I think they went a little overboard with all of her issues

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get a girl will be bullied, but how in the world can she have gone through all of this, especially walking over and staying in the hot tub with the guy she saw rape her friend. I loved the show and it was an eye opener but I think they went a little overboard with all of her issues
I gotta tell you, I kept catching myself thinking the same thing, but truth is I actually don't think this is all that far fetched. Bullying, particularly with smart phones now, is very real. And everyone has to have experienced some level of high school popularity and the reverse and rumors and awful peer pressure. I was never aware of rape while in high school but I'm not so naive so as to believe it didn't occur. I could have seen this playing out with some poor high school girl at my high school back in the 80s.

There are kids that commit suicide on an all-too frequent basis, there are the school shootings. These are TERRIBLE tragedies. And no matter the kid, it couldn't be one episode that drove them to such horrific actions. In my opinion only an aggregate of terrible circumstances can lead someone to take their life and leave loved ones heartbroken. Only deep repetitive societal wounds can drive a child to unleash hell on their contemporaries. Thinking about the real life versions of these stories made me a believer that all this could happen to a poor teenage girl. And frankly it gives me a kind of universal heartache.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only thing that really bothered me was a) everyone telling Clay "wait till you hear YOUR TAPE!" as if his crime was the motherlode... when it was absolutely nothing.

well, and her being partially responsible for the car accident. that just seemed like a moment in the writer's room where they were like "Hmmm... we're one episode short of 13... what if she kinda KILLED SOMEONE TOO!"

Oh, and Tony being everywhere all the time.

okay... three things.

Otherwise, I thought it was really solid.

oh yeah... and what's his face either killing himself or getting shot by peeper dude. That just seemed gratuitous to set up season 2.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the only thing that really bothered me was a) everyone telling Clay "wait till you hear YOUR TAPE!" as if his crime was the motherlode... when it was absolutely nothing.

well, and her being partially responsible for the car accident. that just seemed like a moment in the writer's room where they were like "Hmmm... we're one episode short of 13... what if she kinda KILLED SOMEONE TOO!"

Oh, and Tony being everywhere all the time.

okay... three things.

Otherwise, I thought it was really solid.

oh yeah... and what's his face either killing himself or getting shot by peeper dude. That just seemed gratuitous to set up season 2.
A) the blonde kid killing himself seemed well- set up imo. He seemed to be the only one with real remorse. So I bought that.

B) I think the peeper's last sequence was more an insinuation

C) if this has a second season it will be a travesty. This should be a single season show. It was well-done. I would rather assume I know what happens to each of them than have to follow them after they've all crumbled.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A) the blonde kid killing himself seemed well- set up imo. He seemed to be the only one with real remorse. So I bought that.

B) I think the peeper's last sequence was more an insinuation

C) if this has a second season it will be a travesty. This should be a single season show. It was well-done. I would rather assume I know what happens to each of them than have to follow them after they've all crumbled.

It's already been renewed for season 2.

OP
OP
Rivercard

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
It's already been renewed for season 2.

Wow. As much as I admired this series ("enjoyed" wouldn't be the right word), I'm not sure that's a good idea. Hannah was such an intriguing character it's hard to imagine where it would go without her. Plus, there has been some negative press about how the subject matter was handled.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know how to do spoilers, so if you haven't watched the entire season 1 don't read this.

I understand the is to make money but season two is destined to be stupid.

The tapes are done so Hannah is irrelevant

All the evidence is out there so the school has to lose the suit

Justin is homeless and we don't care about him

Jessica admitted the rape to her dad and she needs therapy, okay

Alex is dead

The gay kid didn't really do anything that bad

Zack is just a typically high school jock

Sheri turned herself in and works with the old people

Tony fessed up to Hannah's parents

The insinuation of the peeper going columbine was better than seeing him do it

And clay has a new girlfriend

They literally resolved everything