12-17-2020 Thursday Night Game

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Problem with Chargers is clutch time. Always comes down to special teams or some other madness messing them up. Thats another fanbase thats suffers from cardiac arrest every week.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Guyton looks to be another 2019 wr from draft we missed out on. Not sure why they wouldnt bring in Kyler's former HS teammate at least into camp. Big time recruit at Notre Dame who transferred and went to N. Texas.
7-6 team fighting for its playoff life losing to 4 win team led by rookie. Hopefully that's the first & last time that storyline plays out this week.
Yep.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Herbert is a damn gunslinger. His basically what I picture Aaron Rodgers would have been if he started as a rookie.

I know what you mean but I think it does him a disservice just because people often use the word gunslinger for QB's with all the arm and none of the brains. Like Lock, or the first 2 seasons of Josh Allen.

Herbert is so good in the pocket. He doesn't panic. He has the most completions and the most yards under pressure in the league. For a rookie that's astronomical.

PFF have him as the highest passer rating under pressure since they started in 2006. Not just for a rookie, for any QB ever.

The dude is ice cold in the pocket and when you combine that with his arm, wow, Chargers really have a QB. It's been fun watching him this year.

Joe Burrow was also very good, but even if Burrow stayed healthy I think Herbert would still be OROTY.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guyton looks to be another 2019 wr from draft we missed out on. Not sure why they wouldnt bring in Kyler's former HS teammate at least into camp. Big time recruit at Notre Dame who transferred and went to N. Texas.

Yep.
lol I know you’re still not serious with this

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know what you mean but I think it does him a disservice just because people often use the word gunslinger for QB's with all the arm and none of the brains. Like Lock, or the first 2 seasons of Josh Allen.

Herbert is so good in the pocket. He doesn't panic. He has the most completions and the most yards under pressure in the league. For a rookie that's astronomical.

PFF have him as the highest passer rating under pressure since they started in 2006. Not just for a rookie, for any QB ever.

The dude is ice cold in the pocket and when you combine that with his arm, wow, Chargers really have a QB. It's been fun watching him this year.

Joe Burrow was also very good, but even if Burrow stayed healthy I think Herbert would still be OROTY.
Burrow was just solid. Lack of arm strength has & will continue to hurt him. Herbert actually blows him & Tua out of the water.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Herbert is so good in the pocket. He doesn't panic. He has the most completions and the most yards under pressure in the league.

he is exhibit A on why being a NFL GM is way harder that it looks

Herbert showed this only in flashes at Oregon, and had other terrible flashes as well -- against suspect PAC 12 defenses no less.

yet here he is.......

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You always have to see how year 2 goes, remember Baker Mayfield had a similar rookie year, not quite as good but looked like he was legit and then year 2 Cleveland brought in OBJ and they were going to open up and then all the scouting reports plus their OL issues suddenly exposed Baker as a talented but turnover prone guy.

Of course Herbert has huge advantages, much bigger than Mayfield, stronger arm and a bunch of really talented WR's to throw to. What's impressive to me is that he hasn't had his full team, his best RB Ekeler has missed 6 full games, his best Wr Allen has had back and now hamstring problems but no matter what he's gone out and for the most part done well. The team needs to figure out how to win but theyr'e starting to do that, the sack that led to the missed FG last night was really good scouting not bad QB play they saw the play coming and blitzed it he did everything humanly possible to get rid of that ball but couldn't.

7 games already this year over 300 yards passing, 10 over 250, only once all season under 200 yards.

In the pocket he reminds me of Dan Marino, the release isn't as quick but the arm strength and the "flick" to get the ball spinning is similar. But he's bigger and MUCH more athletic.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You always have to see how year 2 goes, remember Baker Mayfield had a similar rookie year, not quite as good but looked like he was legit and then year 2 Cleveland brought in OBJ and they were going to open up and then all the scouting reports plus their OL issues suddenly exposed Baker as a talented but turnover prone guy.

Of course Herbert has huge advantages, much bigger than Mayfield, stronger arm and a bunch of really talented WR's to throw to. What's impressive to me is that he hasn't had his full team, his best RB Ekeler has missed 6 full games, his best Wr Allen has had back and now hamstring problems but no matter what he's gone out and for the most part done well. The team needs to figure out how to win but theyr'e starting to do that, the sack that led to the missed FG last night was really good scouting not bad QB play they saw the play coming and blitzed it he did everything humanly possible to get rid of that ball but couldn't.

7 games already this year over 300 yards passing, 10 over 350, only once all season under 200 yards.

In the pocket he reminds me of Dan Marino, the release isn't as quick but the arm strength and the "flick" to get the ball spinning is similar. But he's bigger and MUCH more athletic.

True, but you can't teach that pocket presence and calmness under pressure. That's something you might hope for in a vet after 5 years. For Herbert to have it already bodes well for his future. That's a foundation that shouldn't go away.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Herbert showed this only in flashes at Oregon, and had other terrible flashes as well -- against suspect PAC 12 defenses no less.

yet here he is.......

oh god he was horrible at Oregon. He had games where you looked at him and just thought what the hell is this.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

yet here he is.......

Chargers are a very solid team overall so it helps a rookie qbs comfort level when your teammates are making plays.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe I’ve ever been as wrong about a player as I was about Herbert. I was certain the Chargers wasted their pick. Dude looks good.

Totally agree in college it was like the stats are great but I just don't see it, hitting wide open guys otherwise he runs. Those throws into coverage will be picks in the NFL. boy was I wrong

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but you can't teach that pocket presence and calmness under pressure. That's something you might hope for in a vet after 5 years. For Herbert to have it already bodes well for his future. That's a foundation that shouldn't go away.

Oh yes he's convinced me he's legit I'm just saying you can never be sure. He makes plays now as Aikman said last night you don't teach a guy to roll right and throw across his body. He did that often in college and I thought ok in the NFL that's a pick. so far it's NOT a pick that's what makes him amazing, he's doing things you're not supposed to do, and doing them well.

There was a play with Keenan Allen where he threw the ball to the endzone to him. Allen had nothing last night hamstring but Herbert put it up high figuring he can go up and get it. The ball sailed right over Allen's head and he turned and looked at Herbert but IMO it wasn't what the hell is wrong with you it was my bad I should have gone up and got that I just didn't expect you to put the ball right there because I had no separation at all. The look on Allen was like OMG I can't believe he made that throw. It was like the one Kyler made to Arnold up high but it had much more velocity it was a perfect throw in that the only human being on the field who could have caught that was Allen. In college he would at times almost try to throw the ball through a defender, he's figured that out his ball placement is MUCH better.

Like someone else said I've never been more wrong about a guy than I was about Herbert did not think he would be a anywhere near this good

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh yes he's convinced me he's legit I'm just saying you can never be sure. He makes plays now as Aikman said last night you don't teach a guy to roll right and throw across his body. He did that often in college and I thought ok in the NFL that's a pick. so far it's NOT a pick that's what makes him amazing, he's doing things you're not supposed to do, and doing them well.

There was a play with Keenan Allen where he threw the ball to the endzone to him. Allen had nothing last night hamstring but Herbert put it up high figuring he can go up and get it. The ball sailed right over Allen's head and he turned and looked at Herbert but IMO it wasn't what the hell is wrong with you it was my bad I should have gone up and got that I just didn't expect you to put the ball right there because I had no separation at all. The look on Allen was like OMG I can't believe he made that throw. It was like the one Kyler made to Arnold up high but it had much more velocity it was a perfect throw in that the only human being on the field who could have caught that was Allen. In college he would at times almost try to throw the ball through a defender, he's figured that out his ball placement is MUCH better.

Like someone else said I've never been more wrong about a guy than I was about Herbert did not think he would be a anywhere near this good

I love his deep ball. He throws them with such accuracy and velocity. Might be the prettiest in the league. Really excited to see him next year.

Herbert was my backup QB in fantasy when Dak went down so I've been watching him quite a lot :)