10 thoughts - Cowboys game

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought the (fake punt, Prater and Murray on the field at the same time) was Kliff's best play call of his entire career. That forced them to use the time out that they would have used (and wasted) on the fumble. It ended up being huge down the line. I don't know if I have ever seen that happen before.

I don’t think that was his call, DCR. I think that it was Rodgers’. I think that many head coaches, as well as special teams coordinators, have said over the years that the special teams coordinator is allowed the freedom to make those calls if he sees certain possibilities in how the opponent line up. I think it is the same dynamic in the other play, that from Kingsbury decide to send the punt team on, from there Rodgers kind of takes over. I don’t know. I could obviously be wrong.

Remember the punt trick from last week (or two weeks ago?), where they completely fooled the opponent by acting as the ball went left, when in reality it went right? I think that was Rodgers too.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DH, that is great point. Do you see interior help as the biggest need this offseason? I personally think that Justin Pugh and Rodney Hudson should stay, but certainly the right guard spot can be upgraded.
I do very much so see the IOL (including back-up center) as the biggest need… DT and edge rusher aren’t far behind though.

Hudson is great when he is in (other than some shotgun snaps)… I’d let Pugh walk and draft one sign one.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think that was his call, DCR. I think that it was Rodgers’. I think that many head coaches, as well as special teams coordinators, have said over the years that the special teams coordinator is allowed the freedom to make those calls if he sees certain possibilities in how the opponent line up. I think it is the same dynamic in the other play, that from Kingsbury decide to send the punt team on, from there Rodgers kind of takes over. I don’t know. I could obviously be wrong.

Remember the punt trick from last week (or two weeks ago?), where they completely fooled the opponent by acting as the ball went left, when in reality it went right? I think that was Rodgers too.

You are probably right. Let's be real though... If the play doesn't work, Kliff gets all of the blame. He should get a good part of the credit when it succeeds too.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not my guess at all man. He'll be on the roster next year, he played decent on Sunday at tackle & that showed SK he deserves a look there, especially if Beachum goes down. The more snaps he gets, the more experience he'll have to roll the dice with. Justin Murray looked really good at guard before he got hurt & I think he's here to stay. Doesn't hurt to have both Jones & Murray that can play both guard & tackle on the right side.

I don’t agree that he played average. I think he played bad, and not only with the penalties. Several times his opponent blew right by him.

However, he definitely is a tackle only, and you are probably right that he will get better with more snaps. He has a long way to go, but at least you can say that, in fact, he only showed consistently bad play at guard. If Humphries doesn’t come back soon, he will probably get the start at tackle against the Seahawks as well.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t agree that he played average. I think he played bad, and not only with the penalties. Several times his opponent blew right by him.

However, he definitely is a tackle only, and you are probably right that he will get better with more snaps. He has a long way to go, but at least you can say that, in fact, he only showed consistently bad play at guard. If Humphries doesn’t come back soon, he will probably get the start at tackle against the Seahawks as well.
Oh, he looked horrible at guard, I think tackle is where he belongs & he'll get better with reps is my current thinking also.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It’s too bad Rodgers How do you use his bag of tricks in this game due to the cards three-game skid. It would’ve been nice to have those arrows in the quote for the playoff game versus Dallas. But, you never know. I’ll take the win.
It could still work to our advantage. Have a real play in the playbook now with both Kyler and Prater on the field. Let Dallas or who ever try to figure out if we're trying to steal the TO again or actually running the play. Any doubt or hesitation that you can cause is good.