10 thoughts - Cards' day two draft

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I think I reacted to the McBride pick like most Cards fan: WTF?! In my opinion, you factor in need with your picks this early in the draft, and I did not at all consider tight end a need. Little did I know that Maxx Williams still has a long way back, and suddenly the pick makes more sense to me.

2 – Both the McBride- and Sanders pick underline the thought that Keim and Kingsbury’s new job security makes them think further ahead than just this year. Of the three picks, I only expect Cam Thomas to be relied strongly on right away.

3 – At the second pick on day two I was hoping for five guys: edge Drake Jackson, USC, offensive lineman Sean Rhyan, UCLA, offensive lineman Darian Kinnard, Kentucky, offensive lineman Marquis Hayes, Oklahoma, edge rusher Brandon Smith, Penn State, and Cam Thomas. Thus, put me down as satisfied with the pick.

(and yes, I hoped for three of them at the Sanders pick, and for whatever reason, they are still available, so who knows how long they might slide?)

4 – I was thrilled that they got a third-round pick back in the Hollywood Brown-trade. Did they optimize it enough with Sanders? I don’t think so.

5 – Both Keim and Kingsbury highlighted how McBride gives Murray another weapon. It makes me think that the pick was highly affected that both wide receivers, George Pickens and Alec Pierce (who they had spent a lot of time on) got selected in two of the three picks before the Cards’.

6 – In a way it disappoints me that they did not get out of day two with an offensive lineman and a cornerback, but on the other hand I think that the hole at edge rusher is that big that I like that they addressed it strongly this early.

7 – To my taste, the third round is too early to select measurable-and-traits-prospects like Myjai Sanders. You can do that on day three.

8 – Cam Thomas is basically Markus Golden v. 2.

9 – I guess you can say that the Sanders pick made me both nervous and excited about day three. There is position that I think they must address.

10 – Trey McBride might be a really good weapon in the passing game, but I still would not be opposed to have gone with a wide receiver, and if that was indeed their plan, maybe they will go with one on day three.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Great point @Gandhi on the job security statement on these picks.

I can see packages with McBride playing immediately, since he is a better mover than Ertz/Williams. And if Williams isn't ready right now, I really like the pick even better. The Cardinals have given Darrell Daniels enough snaps, that dude is not good enough.

I think Cam Thomas can play as a rotational player right away, but I wonder about fit. I don't really see him as an edge, I see more as a DE. If he is a DE, he needs to add more muscle. The comparison to JJ Watt in play style is a good one. He plays with a reckless abandon and I think if he adds some good weight he can be a good player...just maybe not in 2022.

I think you can play Myjai Sanders immediately as a 3rd down edge. Bring him and Gardeck in, and that's some good edge speed.

As far drafting another WR...I just don't see it after trading for Hollywood. If you just look at the depth chart, Pierce or Pickens are probably 5th on it. I don't think throwing a 2nd round pick at 5th on the depth chart is a smart move. I think going forward, the Cardinals can now replace a guy per year with either a mid tier vet or a draft pick. @kerouac9 pointed this out and I agree, Hollywood is likely to be resigned and Hopkins might be a cut candidate a few years down the road.

It was pretty smart of the Steelers to take Pickens with Claypool's issues last year though.

Cornerback and IOL are two more positions where I'm not certain a young player has much of a shot to be a significant piece. The OL wasn't that bad last year, and they added a young veteran guard to the mix. There will be significant turnover next year, but that can be a blessing as well, since they reallocate some of the more poorly spent money there.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As far drafting another WR...I just don't see it after trading for Hollywood. If you just look at the depth chart, Pierce or Pickens are probably 5th on it. I don't think throwing a 2nd round pick at 5th on the depth chart is a smart move. I think going forward, the Cardinals can now replace a guy per year with either a mid tier vet or a draft pick. @kerouac9 pointed this out and I agree, Hollywood is likely to be resigned and Hopkins might be a cut candidate a few years down the road.

Krang, I forgot to mention it in the post, but my thinking is that I am not comfortable with A.J. Green. I think that he can absolutely be upgraded, and it is not like his contract is enormous. You could cut him, or even keep him over Wesley, if you wanted. To me, having two bigger guys on the outside, with Rondale Moore and Hollywood Brown on the inside or running deep, I think that screams problems for the other team, and excitement for you, me, and every other fan.

Cornerback and IOL are two more positions where I'm not certain a young player has much of a shot to be a significant piece. The OL wasn't that bad last year, and they added a young veteran guard to the mix. There will be significant turnover next year, but that can be a blessing as well, since they reallocate some of the more poorly spent money there.

I fully agree. I even think it should also be pointed out that Justin Murray is coming back. I have expectations for him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been saying we’d have to be koo koo to count on Williams before week 10 and maybe longer.

McBride will contribute. Our 2 TE package will be much improved mainly because he can block AND catch. Any other te on this team not named Ertz was useless.

Third and 4th round picks rarely make a big splash. I always view them as future contributors.

Like others have mentioned the rest of the drsft is geared toward special teams. Is there a return guy out there?

The onus is now on Kyler, Kliff and it’s still on Keim too. Much needs to be done to rid the stench of last years collapse.
Can Kyler improve his reads and progressions?
Can Kliff utilize Brown and Moore with more than just 2 yard passes?
Can Keim restructure some contracts and bring in a few more free agents and add some quality depth?

At this point I see us as slightly improved. Better than average but not a serious Super Bowl threat yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Krang, I forgot to mention it in the post, but my thinking is that I am not comfortable with A.J. Green. I think that he can absolutely be upgraded, and it is not like his contract is enormous. You could cut him, or even keep him over Wesley, if you wanted. To me, having two bigger guys on the outside, with Rondale Moore and Hollywood Brown on the inside or running deep, I think that screams problems for the other team, and excitement for you, me, and every other fan.
I wouldn't say I'm an AJ Green fan, but he is ok as a 2/3 at this point.

When the Cardinals were at their best it was hard to tell WHO was 1/2/3 etc as a receiver. It kind of changed from week to week.

The team is in a better place now.
I fully agree. I even think it should also be pointed out that Justin Murray is coming back. I have expectations for him.
Agreed. Justin Murray is a decent player. There is competition on the OL.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Like others have mentioned the rest of the drsft is geared toward special teams. Is there a return guy out there?

I don't know, but based on everything I have read the last couple of months, safeties Tycen Anderson (Toledo) and Percy Butler (Louisiana), linebacker Grant Morgan (Nebraska), and cornerback Kalon Barnes (Baylor) are four of the very best special teams players in the class.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose