10 thoughts - Browns game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Max Garcia is not great, but he is not a liability either. He is what you want in a backup.

2 - Three more 4th down stop. That’s eight out of 10 for the season.

3 – I agree.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

4 – This shouldn’t have become an even remotely close game as the Cards could have been up 35-7, late in the second quarter, but had to settle for field goals on three straight red zone possessions.

5 – That’s an underrated fanbase. They’re good.

6 – Jordan Phillips did look like he could become good for the defensive line.

7 – “Stud” might be too big a word for Christian Kirk, but ironically, he certainly has been stepping up his play after stepping down his role.

8 – Kyler Murray needs to practice bold handling all week.

9 – I am all for praising Steve Keim for his offseason addition, but what about keeping Jordan Hicks? Slam dunk.

10 – According to Next Gen stats, Chase Edmonds ended a game with more than 34 yards rushing yards over expected for the second time. If you don’t know the model, I can say that it is very good. Among the best in the league.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Good stuff Ghandi....

You should go back to 15 thoughts.... honestly I rarely agree with most of them but they stimulate great conversations and motivate others to post their own thoughts as well. That’s good content.

Hicks.... dude had a game against Cleveland..... making plays in the backfield?? Whaaaat?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with most. For point 1, Garcia graded as the best on the OL and his pass protection was almost flawless according to the grade. I think he did more than ok. He did have 1 bad snap.

For point 8, they did say the balls were wet from drizzle, so I'm sure that impacted it, but he needs to practice more with wet balls! Or keep his balls dry before grabbing them.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1 – Max Garcia is not great, but he is not a liability either. He is what you want in a backup.
I think fans can thing of sports players in a very binary way: "Good player" or "Bad player". Garcia played well enough and with OL depth, you'll generally need the guy to step in and play a few games and thats it. What I've been impressed with under Kingsbury/Kugler is that the depth guys seem to be better than I've seen under former coaches. Even under Arians, the back up O Linemen were usually a near disaster when they played. That hasn't been the case under Kingsbury.
2 - Three more 4th down stop. That’s eight out of 10 for the season.
I have some gripes with Vance Joseph, but one gripe I don't have is his calls on 4th downs. Sending out cover zero on 4th down is a statement: You might convert this, but we aren't going to go down with a slobber knocker fight.
3 – I agree.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Even those of us who were bullish on JJ Watt didn't think Watt was going to be this good. I remember saying in a thread that I thought his acquisition was "underrated". Even then, I think I underrated how good he has been.
4 – This shouldn’t have become an even remotely close game as the Cards could have been up 35-7, late in the second quarter, but had to settle for field goals on three straight red zone possessions.
I thought that we saw the Cardinals B game. We have yet to really see the Cardinals A game. The Cardinals made a vastly overrated Browns team look like they didn't belong in the same stadium.
5 – That’s an underrated fanbase. They’re good.
Browns fans are great fans. Living here in LA, none of the fanbases are remotely that good. I was having full on conversations during the Rams-Cardinals games. I doubt that would be possible in Cleveland.
6 – Jordan Phillips did look like he could become good for the defensive line.
It was nice to see him back. He made a few plays. Wouldn't it be something if Philips takes the front seven up a notch over the last 11 weeks?
7 – “Stud” might be too big a word for Christian Kirk, but ironically, he certainly has been stepping up his play after stepping down his role.
One of my friends has AJ Green on his fantasy team and he was asking me whether to start him. I told him that while Green is having a great season, it's tough to project which Cardinals WR was going to have a big game.

Kirk is still a bit up and down this year, but we are seeing a better player this year.
8 – Kyler Murray needs to practice bold handling all week.
Eh it was a bit wet and most of those snaps were caused by the difference in centers. Garcia-Murray need to work on it.
9 – I am all for praising Steve Keim for his offseason addition, but what about keeping Jordan Hicks? Slam dunk.
Hicks has played better this year. He still sucks at times, but Sunday wasn't one of those times. Hicks had easily his best game as a Cardinal.
10 – According to Next Gen stats, Chase Edmonds ended a game with more than 34 yards rushing yards over expected for the second time. If you don’t know the model, I can say that it is very good. Among the best in the league.
Chase is going to get a nice contract from the Lions.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Agree with most. For point 1, Garcia graded as the best on the OL and his pass protection was almost flawless according to the grade. I think he did more than ok. He did have 1 bad snap.

For point 8, they did say the balls were wet from drizzle, so I'm sure that impacted it, but he needs to practice more with wet balls! Or keep his balls dry before grabbing them.
Yeah I’ve always found a perform better when my balls are dry

Reaction score
I think fans can thing of sports players in a very binary way: "Good player" or "Bad player". Garcia played well enough and with OL depth, you'll generally need the guy to step in and play a few games and thats it. What I've been impressed with under Kingsbury/Kugler is that the depth guys seem to be better than I've seen under former coaches. Even under Arians, the back up O Linemen were usually a near disaster when they played. That hasn't been the case under Kingsbury
Credit to Sean Kugler!

Reaction score
A critical and outstanding trait of this year's Cardinals team is their apparent confident mentality!

They really are becoming a team that is focused upon every man "doing his job"! Don't let circumstance and distractions interfere with every individual performing your best each week, each day, each snap!

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A critical and outstanding trait of this year's Cardinals team is their apparent confident mentality!

They really are becoming a team that is focused upon every man "doing his job"! Don't let circumstance and distractions interfere with every individual performing your best each week, each day, each snap!

Seeing fewer penalties also. Especially the false starts. Was there even one in the Browns game with a hostile crowd, can't remember.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think fans can thing of sports players in a very binary way: "Good player" or "Bad player". Garcia played well enough and with OL depth, you'll generally need the guy to step in and play a few games and thats it. What I've been impressed with under Kingsbury/Kugler is that the depth guys seem to be better than I've seen under former coaches. Even under Arians, the back up O Linemen were usually a near disaster when they played. That hasn't been the case under Kingsbury.

I have some gripes with Vance Joseph, but one gripe I don't have is his calls on 4th downs. Sending out cover zero on 4th down is a statement: You might convert this, but we aren't going to go down with a slobber knocker fight.

Even those of us who were bullish on JJ Watt didn't think Watt was going to be this good. I remember saying in a thread that I thought his acquisition was "underrated". Even then, I think I underrated how good he has been.

I thought that we saw the Cardinals B game. We have yet to really see the Cardinals A game. The Cardinals made a vastly overrated Browns team look like they didn't belong in the same stadium.

Browns fans are great fans. Living here in LA, none of the fanbases are remotely that good. I was having full on conversations during the Rams-Cardinals games. I doubt that would be possible in Cleveland.

It was nice to see him back. He made a few plays. Wouldn't it be something if Philips takes the front seven up a notch over the last 11 weeks?

One of my friends has AJ Green on his fantasy team and he was asking me whether to start him. I told him that while Green is having a great season, it's tough to project which Cardinals WR was going to have a big game.

Kirk is still a bit up and down this year, but we are seeing a better player this year.

Eh it was a bit wet and most of those snaps were caused by the difference in centers. Garcia-Murray need to work on it.

Hicks has played better this year. He still sucks at times, but Sunday wasn't one of those times. Hicks had easily his best game as a Cardinal.

Chase is going to get a nice contract from the Lions.
Agree on your take with Vance.

I also agree with Garcia. That was about as good of a performance from a backup C as you can ask.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agree on your take with Vance.

I also agree with Garcia. That was about as good of a performance from a backup C as you can ask.
I think in the 90's the Cardinals didn't have a single back up OL as good as Max Garcia. Or Justin Murray. Heck, even Harlow has looked pretty solid.

For once we have a coach that I think can develop linemen, but not just as players, but as a program.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good stuff Ghandi....

You should go back to 15 thoughts.... honestly I rarely agree with most of them but they stimulate great conversations and motivate others to post their own thoughts as well. That’s good content.

Thank you for the words, Oaken! I cannot go back to 15. At least not right now. I simply don’t have the time, so I have cut down a little. And I should say that I would not be doing it at all if you (and everyone else) agreed on all of it. That would make it useless, I think, so I am happy that you disagree on some, but still feel that it forces you to consider your thoughts. :D

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

That would be great. I think that the pass rush is the area where the team could need an upgrade the most. And that is saying something with how well the defense has played.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How our O-line still looks competent this year even with 3 guys down, is increadible. But I really hope we get some back, the protection was a little bit better with the starters

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How our O-line still looks competent this year even with 3 guys down, is increadible. But I really hope we get some back, the protection was a little bit better with the starters

WC, in reality only one starter was out in the last game. However, that was center Rodney Hudson who might be the most important of all of them, so I am sure it will be good if he comes back, no matter that Garcia played well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson