10 thoughts - Broncos game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is only ten thought because I wanted to get it out right away before cuts starts to be reported, because chances are that some of the guys I mentions will get cut. So I did not do a very thorough job with this post.

1 – I like linebacker Dennis Gardeck, but he is simply too slow to be out there on defense. Let him play special teams where he is great.

2 – For the second game in a row, rookie safety Deionte Thompson was pretty good. Made plays on the ball. Tackled really well.

3 – Parker Ehinger and Joshua Miles must be the reasons that they felt comfortable sending Korey Cunningham to the Patriots. How on earth did they come to that conclusion?! I actually liked Ehinger when he was with the Chiefs – where he won a starting spot as a rookie on an Andy Reid-led offensive line which is really, really hard to do – but the problem was he never stayed healthy. That was as a guard, though. Play him at his best position! Miles I liked coming out of college, but there sure is a long way from Morgan State and Division 1 Subdivision to the NFL.

4 – Good thing it was not the #1 team defense, huh?

5 – Though I did think rookie defensive tackle Miles Brown got some penetration again while he was playing with at least decent players around him. And with rookie defensive tackle Michael Dogbe, I think there is something to work with.

6 – Without Patrick Peterson for six games? Ugh, that’s a tough one. That was the primary backups being torched by a #2 offense out there.

7 – Bad special teams blocking once again.

8 – I have been impressed with linebacker Tanner Vallejo on defense several times this offseason, and I think he was actually primarily brought in because he is a stud special teams player.

9 – What is happening with Josh Rosen? I mean, I understand the idea that you try your best to win (does anyone really believe tanking exist? If so, I am sorry but I think it is downright weird), but they have a very talented quarterback drafted very high just a year ago, and that they paid a second round draftpick to get. They have to assess what they have at quarterback before deciding what to do next offseason. Maybe Bidwill and Keim made the right decision shipping him out of town after all?

10 – To me, offensive guard Colby Gossett and Deionte Thompson was easily the best Cardinals players.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi, once again, thanks. Reference Gardeck. Any chance his problem is instinct rather than speed? Like he's just slow to react due to his inexperience?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks, not much to talk about on a crappy meaningless #4 preseason game. However, cuts and waiver wire pickups will be interesting topics for sure.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even on a bad team 4th preseason game players are extreme longshots to even be on the cut day roster.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, once again, thanks. Reference Gardeck. Any chance his problem is instinct rather than speed? Like he's just slow to react due to his inexperience?

Great point, Garth!

I would say no. I think he has fairly good instincts, but not good enough to fully compensate for his lack of speed. I think there is several times where he is just a little late which turns into a decent gain for the opponent.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Even on a bad team 4th preseason game players are extreme longshots to even be on the cut day roster.

Only to a degree, I think, Southpaw. Just as examples, safety Deionte Thompson, tight end Ricky Seals-Jones, offensive lineman Parker Ehinger, linebacker Dennis Gardeck and wide receiver Trent Sherfield played a lot. So players, who are not good enough to be among the biggest contributors, yet still part of the rotation, also gets valuable snaps. Also, I would say that some players can play themselves into contention, though I agree with you that almost every roster spot is locked in at this point. At that perspective it is a really big problem that the special teams blocking was so bad. That is where young guys can look really good.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
9 – What is happening with Josh Rosen? I mean, I understand the idea that you try your best to win (does anyone really believe tanking exist? If so, I am sorry but I think it is downright weird), but they have a very talented quarterback drafted very high just a year ago, and that they paid a second round draftpick to get. They have to assess what they have at quarterback before deciding what to do next offseason. Maybe Bidwill and Keim made the right decision shipping him out of town after all?

I suddenly became aware that I had not specified that in the least, and so it became very implied. Sorry about that.

The Dolphins has announced that Ryan Fitzpatrick will be their starting quarterback week 1. Thus Rosen probably will not play before week 5 or 6 or something like that, barring injury of course. That is some sad development.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’ve read rumors that Josh Norman and AJ Bouye could be cut. I’d sign either one in a heartbeat.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Great point, Garth!

I would say no. I think he has fairly good instincts, but not good enough to fully compensate for his lack of speed. I think there is several times where he is just a little late which turns into a decent gain for the opponent.

He times fast. From what I've seen, he's out of position often and struggles to get off blocks.

Not necessarily slow. A slower player can appear faster by having better instincts and taking better angles.