#1 Pick

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
for Cards has to be an immediate difference maker. Therefore I believe it will be a WR or RB. My guess is Etienne

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That would be a very unconventional idea. Few teams would consider an RB in the early/middle 1st round anymore, unless the guy is a total game changer. The Cards have, however, left themselves a bit naked in the RB room and may be forced to do something of the sort out of desperation.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green is our” first round “ Wr pick.
Connors is our “ second round” RB.
We need a true corner. Farley will slip to us because of health issues. If that happens he will be a Cardinal. If he doesn’t slip to us one of the other CB’ s will and they will be a Cardinal.
In the second round sounds like a cop out but it could be any position. Could be Bateman If he’s there. If Entiene is there he will be a Cardinal. However, I could see us going TE ( Freiermuth) OLB like Rumph or even a G like Humphrey.

But more than likely someone will slip to us in the second round and we will hear, “ WE WERE SHOCKED TO SEE ( so and so) WAS STILL THERE WHEN WE SELECTED. WE HAD HIM RANKED IN OUR TOP 15 PLAYERS AND #1 AT HIS POSITION.”

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Under no circumstance should this team take a RB in Round #1, since it's a position you can plug-and-play in the later rounds. I'd take Najee Harris in the second round without blinking as that dude has so much athleticism and versatility. I would question a WR at 16. As I've said, a franchise QB can get the most out of his receivers, especially if Hop and Green are your two top options, and Kirk isnt a slouch. It's on Kyler to make them better or hit their potential.

If Horn, Surtain and Farley are gone by 16, then we have a conundrum on our hands, at which point, Keim should do everything to trade back.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Under no circumstance should this team take a RB in Round #1, since it's a position you can plug-and-play in the later rounds. I'd take Najee Harris in the second round without blinking as that dude has so much athleticism and versatility. I would question a WR at 16. As I've said, a franchise QB can get the most out of his receivers, especially if Hop and Green are your two top options, and Kirk isnt a slouch. It's on Kyler to make them better or hit their potential.

If Horn, Surtain and Farley are gone by 16, then we have a conundrum on our hands, at which point, Keim should do everything to trade back.
Harris in the 2nd round??? LOL. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that he's there when we pick in the 2nd round. Harris will be a 1st round pick or a very early 2nd. If he hasn't already been taken by then, I do believe the Steelers will sprint to the podium to take him with their 1st pick.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

LOL @ the idea that any late round schmuck will do. Especially LOL at the plug-and-play description. Like, we need a starting RB, and if you draft one in the 6th round, he'll just automatically plug in and be just fine. Wouldn't it be lovely to live in a world where that were true?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL @ the idea that any late round schmuck will do. Especially LOL at the plug-and-play description. Like, we need a starting RB, and if you draft one in the 6th round, he'll just automatically plug in and be just fine. Wouldn't it be lovely to live in a world where that were true?

I mean there are literally multiple examples of this occurring in the NFL… It’s the main reason that the running back position has been devalued over the last 10 years many many late round running backs and even undrafted running backs have came in and performed admirably… So saying it’s not true it’s just you being stubborn.

TJ

Reaction score
A UDFA won ROTY as a RB a few years ago. Most top-tier RBs are not first-rounders. Who’s taking Ezekiel Elliot over Derrick Henry?

TJ

Reaction score
Harris in the 2nd round??? LOL. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that he's there when we pick in the 2nd round. Harris will be a 1st round pick or a very early 2nd. If he hasn't already been taken by then, I do believe the Steelers will sprint to the podium to take him with their 1st pick.
One of Etienne, Williams or Harris will be there mid-2nd round, and I could see a situation where Keim jumps up a few spots to get Harris if he’s still there

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CB/WR seems to be the easy sweet spot pick of value intersecting need.

Keim will reach for a top 5 measurables at whatever position and say he was #2 on our board.

Hopefully Keim, value, and need all meet.

Stout

Reaction score
A UDFA won ROTY as a RB a few years ago. Most top-tier RBs are not first-rounders. Who’s taking Ezekiel Elliot over Derrick Henry?

Henry was not a late-round pick. He went in the 2nd. You said, and I quote, "it's a position you can plug-and-play in the later rounds." That insinuates any old body from the late rounds will do. Which is clearly not true. Otherwise, why don't we have a starting RB? It isn't plug and play. Talent at the position can be found in the later rounds, or undrafted, yes. Of course. It's just not at all automatic.

I mean there are literally multiple examples of this occurring in the NFL… It’s the main reason that the running back position has been devalued over the last 10 years many many late round running backs and even undrafted running backs have came in and performed admirably… So saying it’s not true it’s just you being stubborn.

The main reason the RB position has been devalued over the last 10 years is because RBs are having shorter careers and thus there's less value. You can't just draft a body and have him automatically succeed at any position, RB included. Your (everyone on that side of the argument) argument equates to the idea that Eno Benjamin can start and be just as effective as a Derrick Henry.

You must be registered for see images attach

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main reason the RB position has been devalued over the last 10 years is because RBs are having shorter careers and thus there's less value. You can't just draft a body and have him automatically succeed at any position, RB included. Your (everyone on that side of the argument) argument equates to the idea that Eno Benjamin can start and be just as effective as a Derrick Henry.

Negative. That is not the reason. They have specifically stated by experts on TV on nfl network etc. That the devaluing is due to teams ability to plug and play later round and UDFA over the years with success. Im not saying ANY RB can do it. Not even close. Clearly a team needs to do their home work and make the right choice in the late rounds. But saying we are screwed if we don't take an early round RB is just fake news. There will be a starting caliber RB or 2 come out of this draft from round 5 or later.. Bank on it. The Question is will we be the one to find them? Either way not concerned now that we signed Conner :)

Stout

Reaction score
Negative. That is not the reason. They have specifically stated by experts on TV on nfl network etc. That the devaluing is due to teams ability to plug and play later round and UDFA over the years with success. Im not saying ANY RB can do it. Not even close. Clearly a team needs to do their home work and make the right choice in the late rounds. But saying we are screwed if we don't take an early round RB is just fake news. There will be a starting caliber RB or 2 come out of this draft from round 5 or later.. Bank on it. The Question is will we be the one to find them? Either way not concerned now that we signed Conner :)

Thank you. I can get behind this. Well, not the "not concerned because Conner" part :) And not the idea that Keim is going to be the one to find the gem out of all the dross. The overall philosophy, though, makes sense. You're not crazily claiming any old body will do. If I was comfortable with Conner, I'd probably be in the same boat. It's when you don't have a starting RB--which I don't think we have at all--that, IMO, the risk of waiting so isn't worth it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pick #16 is likely to be a no-man's land with no elite talent left when we pick and little if any reason for teams to want to trade up to #16.

Tough challenge for SK either way.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick #16 is likely to be a no-man's land with no elite talent left when we pick and little if any reason for teams to want to trade up to #16.

I dont know with as many as 4Qbs being taken in top 10 and 5 in top 15 there is very likely to be elite talent still on the board.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Actually, the stats don't support your argument here.

(Warning, this is pulled from another thread where I made this post.)

I implore you to look at the draft history of 5th-7th round RBs and examine how many actually contribute anything to their teams. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

I've got some time, so I'll break down the numbers for the past 5 years. I stripped out the fullbacks and any position changes. Here's what it looks like for 2020-2016.

- 56 drafted, 2,608 potential games (16 game seasons since drafted)
- 15 either still on roster, completed rookie contract, or were traded for compensation - ~27%
- 13 with more than 100 rushing attempts or over 40 targets, number drops to 10 if only on their original team
- 185 games started for their original team - 7% of those games (130 from the trio of Aaron Jones, Chris Carson, & Jordan Howard - 70% of total)
- 674 games played for their original team - 26% of those games (22% of total)

The big whopper - Jones, Carson, and Howard accounted for 41% of all rushes and targets of the 56 men drafted since 2016.

Remove those three major outliers, and only 7 players started five games or over for the team that drafted them, and one started more than 10 (Wendell Smallwood). Out of 56 players, and 2,608 games.

That's abysmal. It means the chances of drafting a guy who will start five games over their career for you in recent history in these rounds is about 18%, and even that's a very low standard. These late rounds don't produce reliable players.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

With possibly 5 QB's in the top 15, we have the 11th positional pick.

We may screw up the pick but there certainly will be elite talent on the board.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
One of Etienne, Williams or Harris will be there mid-2nd round, and I could see a situation where Keim jumps up a few spots to get Harris if he’s still there
Highly doubtful. There are 7-8 picks between ours and #49 where teams will be targeting one of the top three RBs, and some teams have multiples so they don't have to worry about missing another position to make the investment.

18. Dolphins
23. Jets
24. Steelers
34. Jets
35. Falcons
36. Dolphins
40. Broncos
43. 49ers?

Their starters?

Gaskin
Coleman
Snell
Davis
Gordon
Mostert (who is getting older)

And that's assuming there are no trades or a team like the Bills decide to make a slightly unexpected move.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
lol, no way there’s still discussions of wanting to mega reach for a RB at #16
We're not going to draft an RB in the first, but we're also not getting one of the top 3 RBs at #49.

It's really just a matter of if you think Conner is any good or not. Some are going to feel fine here. We know how I feel.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
There’s not a huge drop off, grade-wise from 16 to say mid 40’s. That’s why I wouldn’t hate Harris in round 1 although I’d prefer someone else or a trade back to get him.

Most of the top RBs lately have been 2nd rounders.

To think you’re going to get a late round guy and plug him in, is a terrible plan. It can happen but not likely. That being said, I like Klyn Hill from Miss St. But difference makers aren’t usually found later in the draft.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're not going to draft an RB in the first, but we're also not getting one of the top 3 RBs at #49.

It's really just a matter of if you think Conner is any good or not. Some are going to feel fine here. We know how I feel.
That’s fine with me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose