’85: The Greatest Team in Football History

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
’85: The Greatest Team in Football History

Re-live the excitement of the most memorable team in sports history, the 1985 Chicago Bears, just days before the biggest game of the football season! The championship team, led by Walter Payton, Jim McMahon, William ‘The Refrigerator’ Perry, and Coach Mike Ditka, dominated on and off the field! ‘85: The Greatest Team in Football History chronicles their journey to victory and pop culture fame.

Featuring interviews with football legends Mike Singletary, Dan Hampton, Phil Simms, and Dan Marino, as well as famous Chicagoans from all walks of life, including President Obama, Bill Murray, and Jesse Jackson, this special one-night event celebrates the unforgettable team that launched an iconic ‘80s music video and inspired the SNL sketch ‘Da Bears’.

Cinema audiences will also get exclusive access to interviews with members of the 1985 Bears including Matt Walsh, Jim McMahon and more at the Pro Football Hall of Fame!

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I are going to see this tonight. :cool:

Such a fun team full of characters. Just wish Walter would have scored a TD in the Super Bowl.

Have always disliked the Patriots, so seeing them get smashed by this team was awesome.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I have a story on this.

In June of 1985 I went to boot camp in great lakes Il.... about six weeks in the bears cheerleaders came and did a dance show for us and a few of the players came along.
dont remember which players because one of the cheer girls kept flirting with me all through the show and I had such a raging chubby I couldnt see straight, lol. She gave me her number after the show and asked me to call her when we got leave...and I forgot it in my dungarees and sent it off to laundry.

a few months later the bears were making music videos

end of story.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a story on this.

In June of 1985 I went to boot camp in great lakes Il.... about six weeks in the bears cheerleaders came and did a dance show for us and a few of the players came along.
dont remember which players because one of the cheer girls kept flirting with me all through the show and I had such a raging chubby I couldnt see straight, lol. She gave me her number after the show and asked me to call her when we got leave...and I forgot it in my dungarees and sent it off to laundry.

a few months later the bears were making music videos

end of story.

:lmao: TMI on the raging chubby. :barf:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Greatest team in football history huh. Miami made them their bitch on national television. Also, if they were so great, they would have gone to more than 1 Super Bowl and by decades end, they were a last place team. In fact, they only won 2 more playoff games after that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Greatest team in football history huh. Miami made them their bitch on national television. Also, if they were so great, they would have gone to more than 1 Super Bowl and by decades end, they were a last place team. In fact, they only won 2 more playoff games after that.

I agree that the 80's Bears were one of the most underachieving teams ever. But OMG they had personalities!!!!! Let's make the 487th documentary on that team!!!

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree that the 80's Bears were one of the most underachieving teams ever. But OMG they had personalities!!!!! Let's make the 487th documentary on that team!!!
They were a gimmick team. They had a gimmick defense and the players to carry it off. Their offense, however, was mediocre at best. Even their defense proved to be a one hit wonders. They do not garner mention with the great defenses of the day like the Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, or Fearsome Foursome. Hell, the late 80's Eagles Gang Green defenses were better IMO. Perhaps it was all Buddy Ryan?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were a gimmick team. They had a gimmick defense and the players to carry it off. Their offense, however, was mediocre at best. Even their defense proved to be a one hit wonders. They do not garner mention with the great defenses of the day like the Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, or Fearsome Foursome. Hell, the late 80's Eagles Gang Green defenses were better IMO. Perhaps it was all Buddy Ryan?

you mean the late 80's Eagles defenses that never won ONE playoff game... even though they had a very good QB, solid WRs and running backs... while the Bears won a Super Bowl, went to three NFC Title games from 1984-1989 and advanced out of the first round two other times... almost all of which happened solely on the strength of their gimmick D.

And they don't measure up to the Fearsome Foursome, who only went to one Super Bowl, got drubbed and went to the NFC title game one more time than the Bears? Doesn't wash.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you mean the late 80's Eagles defenses that never won ONE playoff game... even though they had a very good QB, solid WRs and running backs... while the Bears won a Super Bowl, went to three NFC Title games from 1984-1989 and advanced out of the first round two other times... almost all of which happened solely on the strength of their gimmick D.

And they don't measure up to the Fearsome Foursome, who only went to one Super Bowl, got drubbed and went to the NFC title game one more time than the Bears? Doesn't wash.
Fearsome Foursome never went to a Super Bowl but yes, they were a better overall defense. Football is a team sports and it wasn't the Rams D's fault the offense was mediocre. As for the Eagles, the reason why they didn't win was because of their offense. Yes Cunningham was talented but his offensive line was horrible. So bad that the Cards once sacked him 10 times. And as for the Bears winning the Super Bowl, yes they did and they should be commended buy they played a slightly above average team who happened to get hot at the right time. Had Miami not choked in the AFC title game, Super Bowl XX's legacy might have been vastly different as a few weeks prior that vaunted 4-6 defense showed that they couldn't contain Marino but alas we'll never know.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
working on a faulty memory here...

but wasnt that bears team big when Buddy Ryan introduced his 46 defense?... it wasnt a gimmick, is in fact a fantastic defense... but you need superior athletes all over the place to make it work. It confuses QB's because you cant read it...it looks like a jailhouse blitz on every single play.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fearsome Foursome never went to a Super Bowl but yes, they were a better overall defense. Football is a team sports and it wasn't the Rams D's fault the offense was mediocre.

The Bears O was mediocre as well... you said so yourself and they STILL DESTROYED everyone in 85 and were just as successful as the Rams.

As for the Eagles, the reason why they didn't win was because of their offense. Yes Cunningham was talented but his offensive line was horrible. So bad that the Cards once sacked him 10 times.

That's great that you say that... but it doesn't fit with the reality that in 3 of Cunningham's 4 seasons during the D's heyday, the offense was ranked in the top 5 in the league in points. And still, they never won ONE GAME in the playoffs.

And as for the Bears winning the Super Bowl, yes they did and they should be commended buy they played a slightly above average team who happened to get hot at the right time. Had Miami not choked in the AFC title game, Super Bowl XX's legacy might have been vastly different as a few weeks prior that vaunted 4-6 defense showed that they couldn't contain Marino but alas we'll never know.

You're right... because that Marino team LOST to the Patriots. And the Bears didn't just win the Super Bowl. They had THE MOST DOMINATING post-season run EVER, alongside the second best record ever in league history. Arguing that D... which was 3rd, 1st, 1st, 4th and 1st in defense from 1984-88, and repeatedly won games in the playoffs with a mediocre O (as you admitted) wasn't as good as Eagles' D/Rams D is a joke. The Bears D willed that team to playoff victories and Super Bowl championships that neither of the other two had, all while being hamstrung by a mediocre D, which you use as excuses for the Rams/Eagles (even though the Eagles had very good Offenses, despite your claims to the contrary).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple things. That Bear's team was legit and not a gimmick. Having said that they were NOT the best team ever. They may have been possibly the most FUN team to ever win but not the best IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson