‘Fresh Prince’ star sues video game maker over use of his dance

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

https://www.reviewjournal.com/enter...deo-game-maker-over-use-of-his-dance-1553784/

LOS ANGELES — “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” star Alfonso Ribeiro is suing the creators of Fortnite and NBA 2K for using his famous dance on the popular video games.

In separate lawsuits filed Monday in federal court, Ribeiro alleges that Fortnite-maker Epic Games and 2K Sports-creator Take-Two Interactive used his dance dubbed “The Carlton Dance” without permission or credit.

Ribeiro’s dance was popularized through his character, Carlton Banks, on the 1990s sitcom.

Ribeiro says North Carolina-based Epic Games and Delaware-based Take Two used his dance he first performed on a 1991 “Fresh Prince” episode. He’s asking for a judge’s order to stop both games from using his moves.

Ribeiro says he is currently in the middle of copyrighting the dance.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From what I've heard, he didn't create it. Others did it before him.

He's just the guy who made it popular and the first one it was attached to.

It's also been in other games before this. Hell in one it was literally called 'the carlton'.

Just overall weird.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

https://www.reviewjournal.com/enter...deo-game-maker-over-use-of-his-dance-1553784/

LOS ANGELES — “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” star Alfonso Ribeiro is suing the creators of Fortnite and NBA 2K for using his famous dance on the popular video games.

In separate lawsuits filed Monday in federal court, Ribeiro alleges that Fortnite-maker Epic Games and 2K Sports-creator Take-Two Interactive used his dance dubbed “The Carlton Dance” without permission or credit.

Ribeiro’s dance was popularized through his character, Carlton Banks, on the 1990s sitcom.

Ribeiro says North Carolina-based Epic Games and Delaware-based Take Two used his dance he first performed on a 1991 “Fresh Prince” episode. He’s asking for a judge’s order to stop both games from using his moves.

Ribeiro says he is currently in the middle of copyrighting the dance.
"Currently in the middle of" doesn't mean "owns", unless I'm missing something? Unless the dance is expressively his, how can he have a leg to stand on?

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
So dumb. So something he 'borrowed', in a pay for hire gig, 'belongs' to him huh?

It'd be like Leonard Nimoy suing someone for using "Vulcan salute/greeting" without his permission. Something he similarly 'borrowed' from a Jewish ceremony...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not understanding this either. Wasn't aware that a dance could be granted a copyright. Why not just be flattered when others use something you once did on a TV show? Rather than sinking into obscurity, your name is brought up from time to time. Be grateful.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not understanding this either. Wasn't aware that a dance could be granted a copyright. Why not just be flattered when others use something you once did on a TV show? Rather than sinking into obscurity, your name is brought up from time to time. Be grateful.
Maybe he needs the money.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I kind of thought the whole point of creating a dance was to have other people do it you would think he would be like hell yeah now a bunch of new young kids know who I am

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson