Sanders defends Irvin, Owens

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Birds of a feather....:rolleyes: This guy is so starved for attention...he just needs to shut up and retire. I'm sick of players defending other players when they're wrong..no matter how little or big

Sanders defends Irvin, Owens
By DAVID GINSBURG, AP Sports Writer
November 30, 2005

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Deion Sanders doesn't have an NFL pregame show as a platform anymore, so he used his position as safety for the Baltimore Ravens to jump to the defense of Michael Irvin and Terrell Owens.

Irvin was arrested Sunday on an outstanding warrant for an unpaid speeding ticket in Irving, Texas, but was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after police found a marijuana pipe in his vehicle.

Irvin, a former receiver with the Dallas Cowboys, contended that he took the pipe from a friend who showed up at his house on Thanksgiving, put it in his car and planned to dispose of it later but forgot.

You must be registered for see images
Speaking in front of his locker Wednesday, Sanders declared, "Michael Irvin is totally innocent. I know the whole situation, and it isn't what it seemed. From his history, we were able to jump to conclusions and we shouldn't do that at all times. This is a country that says we're innocent until proven guilty, but it seems like it's the direct opposite.

In 1996, Irvin pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years of deferred probation, a $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges. He also was arrested on drug possession charges in 2000, but they were later dropped.

"He's my buddy. He's my friend," Sanders said of Irvin. "We've got to back each other in tough times, and this is a tough time for he and his family. He was really trying to look out for one of his friends."

Sanders also criticized the Philadelphia Eagles for suspending the outspoken Owens for four games and then ordering him to stay away from the team for the rest of the season.

"I feel bad for T.O. It's not right. Just because a guy won't say he's sorry, he's out of the game of football for the season," Sanders said. "It's like someone working a job 9 to 5 and they don't apologize to their boss, they're fired. There are so many things that I don't like about it. A man should be able to work and make an honest living and do what he loves to do.

"Yeah, he may have made a mistake and said something about his quarterback but so what? Let's move on. People talk about people everyday, but that doesn't mean you should be able to take away my livelihood. He's a football player, let him play football." Sanders believes the Eagles began to lose faith in Owens when the receiver asked for a new contract before this season. Owens' criticism of quarterback Donovan McNabb, and his failure to offer a quick apology added to the problem. "T.O. wasn't a problem until he asked for his money," Sanders said.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
"Yeah, he may have made a mistake and said something about his quarterback but so what? Let's move on. People talk about people everyday, but that doesn't mean you should be able to take away my livelihood. He's a football player, let him play football." Sanders believes the Eagles began to lose faith in Owens when the receiver asked for a new contract before this season. Owens' criticism of quarterback Donovan McNabb, and his failure to offer a quick apology added to the problem. "T.O. wasn't a problem until he asked for his money," Sanders said.

Oh stop it Deion. That's precisely the problem with what TO did and why it's worse than BLy trashing Harrington. TO was on a team coming off a Super Bowl loss, with every expectation of getting back there, and he spent the whole offseason being divisive because he was more interested in money than he was the best interests of the team.

He implied in camp he might dog it if he didn't get a new contract, then he implied during the regular season he might not be able to play in key games when nobody believed he was too injured to play. He was trying to threaten the Eagles, pay me or I'm going to give subpar effort. Then he starts trashing McNabb etc.

The only part of all that that bugged me was that douglas clearly taunted him into the fight, that was a long standing problem, and the Eagles IMHO should have done more to prevent that, Douglas isn't a player, they should have taken steps to keep those guys apart. Otherwise the situation is entirely TO's fault IMHO.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Deion.. it was excessive. Still TO's fault, but clearly excessive.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Oh stop it Deion. That's precisely the problem with what TO did and why it's worse than BLy trashing Harrington. TO was on a team coming off a Super Bowl loss, with every expectation of getting back there, and he spent the whole offseason being divisive because he was more interested in money than he was the best interests of the team.

He implied in camp he might dog it if he didn't get a new contract, then he implied during the regular season he might not be able to play in key games when nobody believed he was too injured to play. He was trying to threaten the Eagles, pay me or I'm going to give subpar effort. Then he starts trashing McNabb etc.

The only part of all that that bugged me was that douglas clearly taunted him into the fight, that was a long standing problem, and the Eagles IMHO should have done more to prevent that, Douglas isn't a player, they should have taken steps to keep those guys apart. Otherwise the situation is entirely TO's fault IMHO.

When you say the "situation", I hope that you do not mean the Eagles not winning is TO's fault entirely.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
It is a country where you are innocent until you are proven guilty. Unless, of course, you plead no contest to felony cocaine charges. :wave:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
When you say the "situation", I hope that you do not mean the Eagles not winning is TO's fault entirely.

No I mean TO being suspended, but I do think TO is a big part of why they're losing, even without McNabb they had a chance with TO. That was his whole angle he wanted to show them that if he refused to play, the team struggled, in the hopes they'd give him more money.

That's true of a lot of NFL players, most of them simply don't threaten their team that way.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"I feel bad for T.O. It's not right. Just because a guy won't say he's sorry, he's out of the game of football for the season," Sanders said. "It's like someone working a job 9 to 5 and they don't apologize to their boss, they're fired. There are so many things that I don't like about it. A man should be able to work and make an honest living and do what he loves to do.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think even Deion believes this. He's out because he was a disruption to the team. He did apologize, it was a disruption to the team the way he did. I wish it could be more execessive and the league could just black list him. Go play in Canada.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
I agree with Deion.. it was excessive. Still TO's fault, but clearly excessive.

I think the problem is TO wants it treated as one incident and wants us all to forget that he did the exact same thing in San Francisco a few years ago. Started trashing Garcia, he's gay, he has a weak arm, he can't get me the ball. So SF ultimately decided he's a great player but a pain in the rear, let him leave, but he screwed that up. So then they trade him(which they didn't have to do) and he complains about that, so the NFL intervenes, he goes to Philly, and a year later he's complaining about that?

I think Philly had every right to look at the totality of this and not just their part and decide Owens is simply too big of a distraction and theyr'e better off without him. and they also had every right to NOT cut him because they can't control where he goes, and if he goes to a competitor in their division, it could hurt their playoff chances.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
To me it gets really simple. Owens was not living up to his end of the contractual agreement. If you son't hold up your end of the bargin then you don't deserve the money.

I guarantee you if this was some lesser known player who didn't get the spotlight like Owens did you would never even see guys like Sanders, Irvin or the rest of them even come to his defense.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I think the problem is TO wants it treated as one incident and wants us all to forget that he did the exact same thing in San Francisco a few years ago. Started trashing Garcia, he's gay, he has a weak arm, he can't get me the ball. So SF ultimately decided he's a great player but a pain in the rear, let him leave, but he screwed that up. So then they trade him(which they didn't have to do) and he complains about that, so the NFL intervenes, he goes to Philly, and a year later he's complaining about that?

I think Philly had every right to look at the totality of this and not just their part and decide Owens is simply too big of a distraction and theyr'e better off without him. and they also had every right to NOT cut him because they can't control where he goes, and if he goes to a competitor in their division, it could hurt their playoff chances.

I don't dispust their right, but as some argued when the Cards pursued the money from Pace.. Just because you have the right doesn't mean you should always use it. The guy showed up on sundays and produced. He did his job. Suspend him for 1 or 2 games...but to keep him on the sidelines AND not let him go shows real vindictiveness on the part of a 'professional' football team. IMO it shows that the Eagles were more concerned about one uping TO rather than getting rid of the problem altogther.

TJAM

Registered
Reaction score
The MONEY - TO was told to go away because he offended , insulted, and disturbed the team, but TO is to get paid , even though he is staying home. Not sure if that includes the 4 suspension games? Send me home anytime as long as the checks show up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
I don't dispust their right, but as some argued when the Cards pursued the money from Pace.. Just because you have the right doesn't mean you should always use it. The guy showed up on sundays and produced. He did his job. Suspend him for 1 or 2 games...but to keep him on the sidelines AND not let him go shows real vindictiveness on the part of a 'professional' football team. IMO it shows that the Eagles were more concerned about one uping TO rather than getting rid of the problem altogther.

At this point with them 5-6 it looks that way, but a few weeks ago ask yourself they cut TO, Dallas signs him, TO helps Dallas win the division, isn't Philly going to look stupid for letting TO go? At this point it wouldn't matter, Philly is probably dead in the water.

Sure there's an element of we'd rather lose without you to make a point. I think ultimately if TO had been cut and signed elsewhere it would just have prolonged the problem and reinforced his behavior that if he gets mad, he can just verbally trash the QB where he plays, whine and ultimately he'll get his wish and go somewhere else.

I do see your point though they're clearly punishing TO. I just think he deserves it based on his recent history.

OP
OP
blindseyed

blindseyed

Reaction score
He's wrong simply for the fact he went to the MEDIA with his belly aching. Go to the team, go to McNabb, go to Reid but shut your mouth arounf the media. He's a selfish overatted baby. His mouth does more than his skills, yea he's a great WR but not so as good as he makes himself out to be.

As far as Deion defending Irvin....'He knows for a fact"...no he doesn't..just as no one is ansolutely sure he did it. But with a record for possesion before, you're more suspect. Shut up Deion! Shut up TO. No one cares what you over paid players think, go out and PLAY! You're not rocket scientists and just cuz you make 4 buillion dollars doesn't mean you know anything..JUST PLAY AND SHUT UP!!

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
As far as TO is concerned: SHUT UP DION!!!!

First of all, he did not simply criticize his fellow co-worker, he went on to publicly rip his boss and the company that employes him. He was constantly disruptive to others and topped it off by getting into a figth with another fellow employee.

Come on Dion, you show us where any company in the country would tolerate this type of behavior.

Secondly, TO signed a contract paying him millions of $$$, remeber Dion, he signed the contract. Once again, you show me any company in the country that is going to re-do the contract simply because the worker outperformed many of his peers for one year with the company. A contract is a contract and both sides are obligated to abide by the guidelines of that single contract.

Thirdly, TO is getting PAID to stay home, so its not as if the guy is going to the poor house.

Give me a break Dion!!!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
He's wrong simply for the fact he went to the MEDIA with his belly aching. Go to the team, go to McNabb, go to Reid but shut your mouth arounf the media. He's a selfish overatted baby. His mouth does more than his skills, yea he's a great WR but not so as good as he makes himself out to be.

As far as Deion defending Irvin....'He knows for a fact"...no he doesn't..just as no one is ansolutely sure he did it. But with a record for possesion before, you're more suspect. Shut up Deion! Shut up TO. No one cares what you over paid players think, go out and PLAY! You're not rocket scientists and just cuz you make 4 buillion dollars doesn't mean you know anything..JUST PLAY AND SHUT UP!!

Obviously you do because you seem to have spent a considerable amount of energy with this post :D I love people who tell other people to shut up about voicing their opinion... all while doing the same :cool:

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
SHUT UP!!!!!!!!! hahaha

TO is starved for attention, and OH LOOK Deon is too, gee, what a coincidence! His play isn't getting him any attention, hence the reason to flap his gums. Go home Neon, you use to be fun to watch, leave it as that.

OP
OP
blindseyed

blindseyed

Reaction score
clif said:
Obviously you do because you seem to have spent a considerable amount of energy with this post :D I love people who tell other people to shut up about voicing their opinion... all while doing the same :cool:

The difference being, I don't get paid for my opinion and neither do they. They're paid to play football. PERIOD!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
As far as TO is concerned: SHUT UP DION!!!!

First of all, he did not simply criticize his fellow co-worker, he went on to publicly rip his boss and the company that employes him. He was constantly disruptive to others and topped it off by getting into a figth with another fellow employee.

Come on Dion, you show us where any company in the country would tolerate this type of behavior.

Secondly, TO signed a contract paying him millions of $$$, remeber Dion, he signed the contract. Once again, you show me any company in the country that is going to re-do the contract simply because the worker outperformed many of his peers for one year with the company. A contract is a contract and both sides are obligated to abide by the guidelines of that single contract.

Thirdly, TO is getting PAID to stay home, so its not as if the guy is going to the poor house.

Give me a break Dion!!!

On the flip side of this coin. Show me any company who can sign a contract for a worker at a certain amount/years, and then decide to breach the contract (cut the player) without any sort of penalty or law being broken.

This is a two way street.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
The difference being, I don't get paid for my opinion and neither do they. They're paid to play football. PERIOD!

yeah.. and... part of that is to speak to the media... so when the media asks you a question MOST people answer them truthfully .. right or wrong.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
clif said:

Yeah, but TO wanted to either get off lightly (be allowed to return and play), or go somewhere else and play (cut or traded). It's EXACTLY what he wanted, and he was acting like a child and destroying the team to try and get it. You HAVE to one-up a player like that, or it sends the message that you can throw a temper tantrum, be a ME player, trash your team, get into fights, threaten holdouts, and get EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT. Not the right message for the league or team to send. The Eagles were ONE HUNDRED PERCENT RIGHT. Just like the Arbitrator agreed.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Did anyone see TO getting boo'd at the Hawks game on sportscenter last night? I thought it was hilairious, yet sad at the same time...

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
Did anyone see TO getting boo'd at the Hawks game on sportscenter last night? I thought it was hilairious, yet sad at the same time...

Last night was not a good night to be in that arena. That team laid an absolute egg against a Heat team that struggles on the road.

OP
OP
blindseyed

blindseyed

Reaction score
clif said:
yeah.. and... part of that is to speak to the media... so when the media asks you a question MOST people answer them truthfully .. right or wrong.

He was asked about it because he brought it up on his own. And just cuz you're asked doesn't mean you have to answer, he could do like his little puppet Drew and say 'No Comment' or like McNabb who didn't wanna play into the selfish kid antics of TO and just tell the media he wanted to talk about the TEAM and football.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
He was asked about it because he brought it up on his own. And just cuz you're asked doesn't mean you have to answer, he could do like his little puppet Drew and say 'No Comment' or like McNabb who didn't wanna play into the selfish kid antics of TO and just tell the media he wanted to talk about the TEAM and football.

I'm not arguing that he could have done something different. I just don't see why all the anger towards his comments. He said he thought the punishment was unfair. The rush to judge Irvin was unfair.. which is his opinion and one that I agree with.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
"It's like someone working a job 9 to 5 and they don't apologize to their boss, they're fired. There are so many things that I don't like about it. A man should be able to work and make an honest living and do what he loves to do."

Riiiiiiiigggghhhht. Except T.O. still gets to collect his salary and the 9 to 5 guy wouldn't be sitting on millions worth of bonus cash from last year.
So its more like a guy in a 9 to 5 job getting paid a few years worth of salary in starting bonus before working a day. Then getting sent home with pay because the boss decided he was a disruption in the office.
Damn. Glad my life ain't as bad as T.O.'s. How will the poor guy get thru this difficult time?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave