Stick a fork in 'em...

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
The season is over. Any hopes of salvaging a division title is simply wishful thinking and extremely myopic.

It was a nice (understatement) run.

Time to stock the minor league system. Dealing Schilling should help that.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can't say I disagree with you. I can't tell what is wrong with this team. The pitching blows, but how do they go from having one of the best staffs last year to having this. RJ and Curt are both 0-2, that doesn't sit well.

Rebuild time.

WestValleyFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What is wrong with this team is the moron, Brenley. Without Melvin in the dugout to bail his ass out, Brenely is being exposed.

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Somehow, someway the staff has lost it's swagger. Confidence and intimidation rule in any sport.

Teams now believe they can reach base against this staff. No matter who it is.

The batting is what it is. No punch other than Gonzo. And, I'm talking about serious punch. Even Gonzo isn't the same since pitchers decided to give him nothing to hit.

Spivey's discipline at the plate has disappeared. So, too has Bautista's. But, I'm not worried about them. They'll be back.

Counsell had an amazing year last year. But, his average has always been so-so.

Matt Williams and Tony Womack are two of the most undisciplined hitters in baseball.

Finley's streaky hitting is getting to be tiresome. How many times has he failed with runners in scoring position?

This team already misses Durazo and Colbrunn.

I could go on and on.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by WestValleyFan
What is wrong with this team is the moron, Brenley. Without Melvin in the dugout to bail his ass out, Brenely is being exposed.

I disagree, Brenly isn't out there throwing those meatballs over the plate that are getting launched into the stands every few innings. At this point, this is on the players shoulders.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with you too, because I was about to come post the same thing...

You hate to say it this early, but with the Giants up 13 games already, it's over...over, over, over...

And that sucks, because baseball is such a long season to already be done after 14 games.

Mike

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
The season is over. Any hopes of salvaging a division title is simply wishful thinking and extremely myopic.

It was a nice (understatement) run.

Time to stock the minor league system. Dealing Schilling should help that.
You're kidding, right?!? 13 games into a 162 game season and you're giving up!

The D'backs need one ingredient to turn things completely around -- a middle-of-the-lineup hitter to join Gonzo in the 3-4 slots.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's why I am so resentful of Matt Williams rejecting the Larry Walker trade! I believe that if Matty had gone along with it, Walker would have been very happy to join the D'backs.

A team one year removed from a World Championship. Three Division Championships in four years. A pitching staff led by two superstars.

And we would have had protection for Gonzo in the lineup, and an excellent baserunner and outfielder, as well.

It was only after Williams killed the deal, and Walker knew he'd be facing the hometown Colorado fans, that he gave the impression that he didn't want to leave Colorado.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Jerry Colangelo shares responsibility for blowing it!

He had to know that Williams would be offended by being traded with three other players for Walker.

He fashions himself a power broker. In this case, Jerry was an amateur!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am probably wrong, but didn't Walker execute his no trade clause as well?

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
I am probably wrong, but didn't Walker execute his no trade clause as well?

No.. he never had to Williams did it first... but he would have if it had come to it.

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
Like I told you before, Burrell and Gavin Floyd and he's yours. I'm sure he'd love to go back to Philly.

edit: Throw in Taylor Bucholz for good measure. After all, Schilling has won 45 games over the last 2 years.

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Go

I try to tell myself that this team will run off 10 straight wins and get back in it. But then I ask "When?" How coulld a team let this happen? It's like they don't care. Right now I am embarrassed to be a Dbacks fan. When they are getting beat its one thing. But to get pummeled night in and night out is ridiculous.

adam
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited:

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
well, the thing with an old team is that its hard to get them fired for anything. well, look at it this way. we beat on the gnats enough, it's not really that hard to make up lost ground, what with the unbalanced sched and everything. i really hope schill and johnson don't go. let's not be too hasty, okay?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are not done...yet. But they are treading on thin ice. They must turn things around. Perhaps a closed door meeting or a players only meeting would be beneficial at this point. Maybe it would wake them up out of this funk they are in. This is still a long way from over but if they dig the hole any deeper, it may become nearly impossible to get out.

Also, while I haven't looked at the standings, I thought they would only be about 10 games out at this point. 10 games with 5 months to go? Just make up a couple games per month and they are back into it...but they must start right now getting this thing turned around.

Maybe this is happeneing because I haven't watched a single game all year...listened to parts of a couple. I will watch tonight and see if I bring them good karma. Just to busy but now that tax season is done...

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
Just for those people who think that its the loss of Colby that we are doing so badly... take a look at the M's for a second. They have played 14 games.. they are 8-6.. but Colby is batting exactly .000 He has had 8 official AB's and only has a walk to show for it.

I know how Bob Melvin was talking up getting Colby to come there, and how he would be a full time players, but so far, out of 14 games, he has appeared in 3. Not much the drastic change from when he was here... except for the fact that he probably would be playing more right now with the way things are going here.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
I had wondered at the time why Seattle really pursued Colby (other than the fact that Melvin was now there). Colby is an ideal DH, but he's not likely to get much PT when Edgar is available.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson