Who is this Robbie Hammock??

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Who is this Robby Hammock??

Is he a keeper? What is he thought of around the organization/baseball inner circles?

He has done nothing but make plays since being called up.

Kind of reminds me of Jason Kendall. Am I far off?

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Robby (with a "Y") was 23rd round draft pick a few years ago - started as left fielder but asked to try as catcher (had done some in HS) and they think he has the makings of either a very good utility guy or a very good catcher. Smart, decent baseball head, hustles like crazy, athletic, good hands, hits about .250-.300 in the minors with some very hot streaks, and he's quick. Was one of the El Paso kids last year - he has spent about a week total in Triple-A!

I watched him in AZ Fall League this year and was extremely taken with him (and with Tim Olson)- Robby reminded me at once of Counsell in terms of how he approaches things. I think he's a keeper, but of course, time will tell.

Moose Lady

Veteran
Reaction score
He is a baby back that we've kept secret for just this purpose. Coming up here and breaking the curse that was put on us. Now that the secret is out I guess we'll have to start grooming someone else to be the secret weapon.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I watched Hammock at the AZ fall league too. He is a breath of fresh air behind the plate compared to Moeller, Miller or Barajas in terms of his footwork. He is really quick on his feet and seems to be above average in his defensive abilities. I didn't really see his arm strength so I can't comment on that, but I do remember reading he had a nice arm in the outfield. I don't know how a good outfield arm translates to a good throwing catcher but I would assume it would help a lot.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
[semi-hijack]

I'm climbing on for a second here, feel free to ignore:

I would like to politely as possible ask that the term "baby back" be settled down a little bit if possible. I understand the different perspective that this term comes from and don't think there is any intentional antagonistic meaning behind it for one second, but I tend to get uncomfortable with the term.

For one thing, it's a misnomer in the fact that a "baby back" would include Andruw Jones, A-Rod, Vlad, and Miggy Tejada as all of these players are right around the same ages as Spivey, Overbay, Hammock, etc..

Secondly, Robby Hammock is 25, the same age as me (actually 6 mos older) and I, personally, don't consider myself a "baby" anything. At times I find it slightly condecending even if in a light hearted way. It makes it very difficult for myself to relate when this term is included.

OK, climbing off, thanks for the forum and your time :wave:

[/semi-hijack]

AZZenny

Reaction score

I think the term came from the pun on "BabyBack ribs."
I wouldn't take it personally, DWKB - it's a term of affection. ;)

The phrase is a "diminutive" in the idiomatic sense, obviously, referring not just to age per se, but to junior status in the organization. It also connotes a fond sentimental attachment to our home-grown up-and-comers. I watch these young men come through the minors, and it gives me an almost maternal sense of pride. Can't help it - human nature.

Now, I agree, when we refer to 25-year-olds as "kids" or "youngsters" it does seem incongruous, but that's also the way they are referred to in MLB and the media. And, to be honest, from my age perspective, he is a kid; you are, too. When your doctor looks like he's 14 and the traffic cop looks like he should be in High School, you'll understand what I mean.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Forktung dug this up and posted it elsewhere - FYI. Thanks, Fork!
Published in the Athens (GA.) Banner-Herald on Nov 11, 2002.

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Life in baseball's minor leagues is about finding a way to get noticed. On that count, former Georgia standout Robby Hammock is doing just fine.

Hammock, who played catcher for the Bulldogs in 1998, is one of the hottest prospects in the Arizona Diamondbacks organization. He is one of seven players in the Diamondbacks' farm system that was selected to play in the prestigious Arizona Fall League, a two-month training ground for rising stars.

He hasn't disappointed in his time with the Scottsdale Scorpions, either. Through Wednesday, Hammock had compiled a .318 average in 66 at bats with 14 RBI and 15 runs scored. He also has three home runs, each of which made something of an impact on the parent organization.

"I've taken our general manager, Joe Garagiola, to three games in the last two weeks," said Tommy Jones, Arizona's director of player development. "Every game Joe Garagiola has been at, Robby's hit a home run. So Robby picks his spots pretty good."

That has been a pattern for Hammock, 25, since he joined the fledgling Diamondbacks organization as a 23rd-round draft pick out of Georgia in 1998. He has a career minor league average of .294, including a .290 mark this year in Class AA El Paso.
"A lot of baseball is when a manager or coach puts you out there, they want to know what they can expect," said Hammock. "I think I've been consistent to where they know what they're going to get every day when they put me out there."

The one great inconsistency for Hammock comes on the defensive end. It's not that he's doing anything wrong; it's that he does too many things right. He has played different positions all of his life, but is most comfortable at catcher. The Diamondbacks say they like Hammock behind the plate, especially his throwing ability and the way he handles pitchers. But his unique ability to excel at other positions has been too tantalizing for Arizona's farm system personnel to pass up. Hammock has started to play some third base and first base, and for a while in 2001 he was almost exclusively an outfielder. At this point, Hammock makes sure he has plenty of different gloves in his bag.

"I feel confident playing other positions and it's not really affecting me when I hit or anything like that," said Hammock. "I feel like I can save teams some money sometimes by being able to play a few positions so they don't have to have the extra guy here, the extra guy there, the extra guy behind the plate. I feel like I can be that guy."

Hammock took the versatility thing to new extremes in the final game of the 2001 season. Playing for a Class A team in Lancaster, Calif., Hammock played all eight field positions in the season finale. He was hoping to pitch the ninth, but the game was tied so he didn't get a chance.

Still, little feats like that tend to catch the attention of the powers that be. One of the reasons Hammock is playing in the Fall League is so the Diamondbacks' higher-ups can get a better look at him against a high level of competition. There's a chance Hammock could make the team's 40-man roster, which must be finalized later this month, and Jones said Hammock will be in the major league camp when spring training rolls around.
And though the organization still isn't quite sure whether Hammock will be an everyday catcher or more of a utility player, Jones said his ability to play several positions can only help.
"You give the manager so many more options to bring you to Phoenix to be used in some capacity, as opposed to being just a catcher and that's all he can do," said Jones. "Our three catchers that are in the big leagues right now, (Rod) Barajas, (Damian) Miller and (Chad) Moeller, are catchers, period."

If he keeps hitting, Hammock could force his way into that mix before too long. And after five minor league seasons, he thinks he's getting close. "After this season ended in El Paso, I personally felt confident that I was ready to give the big leagues a shot," said Hammock. "Of course, I don't make that decision, but I felt in my ability and my mind that I was ready, and this is the first time I've felt that."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson