620 Broadcast Team

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who is the guy broadcasting with Shulte today on 620 AM?

This was just a conversation between the two:

Shulte after Hernandez strikes out:

"Well Hernandez did strike out 188 times last year and the major league record was 189"

Other Guy:

"Yeah but Hernandez has been one of the most productive SS in the NL the past couple of seasons. He's been 1 or 2 in avg, HR, and OPS for SS. I never really understood that, so what if he strikes out. Give me a SS who hits .290 with 25 bombs any day."

Shulte's response:

"Yeah cause he'll get 600 ABs"

Now this is obvious that Shulte is completely overmatched, but if this "other guy" continues to have comentary like this then I might have to start turning the TV down and listening to the radio!!

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Victor Rojas is Schulte's radio partner this year. They put me to sleep

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by DWKB
Who is the guy broadcasting with Shulte today on 620 AM?

This was just a conversation between the two:

Shulte after Hernandez strikes out:

"Well Hernandez did strike out 188 times last year and the major league record was 189"

Other Guy:

"Yeah but Hernandez has been one of the most productive SS in the NL the past couple of seasons. He's been 1 or 2 in avg, HR, and OPS for SS. I never really understood that, so what if he strikes out. Give me a SS who hits .290 with 25 bombs any day."

Shulte's response:

"Yeah cause he'll get 600 ABs"

Now this is obvious that Shulte is completely overmatched, but if this "other guy" continues to have comentary like this then I might have to start turning the TV down and listening to the radio!!

His last name for sure is Rojas and I think his first name is Victor. He seems to be a good analyst type to me. I liked Rod Allen but Rojas is growing on me.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Victor Rojas is the son of former Major Leaguer Cookie Rojas. He seems to know his stuff and is pleasant to listen to. He'll be doing color on radio every inning of every game.

A few games ago, Greg Schulte was saying his usual, "Maybe he'll hit a homerun" over and over (with the bases empty) . . . and Victor said, 'cause we were down by 5 or 6 runs, "Actually, we'd be better off without a homerun. Let's just get a rally going!"

When he saw that he had showed up Schulte, he said, "But I guess I'd take a homerun, too."

He's both astute and diplomatic!

I would love to see Greg Schulte take a hike, and pair up Rojas with Jeff Munn full-time on radio. Jeff Munn knows his baseball, prepares well, and could be another Vin Scully . . . who, to me is, the best ever!

I first listened to Vinnie (as an 11 year old kid in New Jersey) during his third year, I think, with the Dodgers in 1952. Wow! That was 51 years ago. :thumbup:

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
"Yeah but Hernandez has been one of the most productive SS in the NL the past couple of seasons. He's been 1 or 2 in avg, HR, and OPS for SS.

Well last season Hernandez did have a good year despite striking out 188 times, but I wouldn't count on him hitting for a park adjusted .290 batting average again. In over 3,500 career at bats, Hernandez has a lifteime .256 average. With his K:BB ratio of nearly 4:1, Hernandez isn't likely to continue to be that .288 hitter he was last season, nor is he the SS stud like Victor Rojas portrays him. In fact, his xBA(expected batting average) last season was a dismal .215. Some say Hernandez and his type are what's wrong with baseball today....you have guys who can hit 20 or so home runs by just wailing away at the plate and piling up huge strikeout totals.

Further speculation has them doing this so they can get fat arbitration awards, because home runs are rewarded, while those who take a more controlled swing and make contact don't get as much money for hitting .275 with 10 or so home runs.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I really like Rojas - he does make Schulte look pretty uninformed by contrast, though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson