Tractor On the Horizon?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last summer the Suns had some serious discussions with Robert (Tractor) Traylor. He ened up going to Cleveland for the LLE (team option) and was released a couple of weeks ago.

I'm still inclined to troward Mutombo, but recent reports are he wants to stay in Houston. At the same time Hunter is getting enough interest that he may not be an option.

On the surface Traylor is not a good fit. He's short (listed at 6'8") and slow, listing in at 284 pounds. In many ways he resembles Jahidi White, except that Traylor has been a better player and actually did a nice job with the Cavs.

Robert Traylor
Cleveland Cavaliers
Position: F-C
Height: 6-8 Weight: 284
College : Michigan '99
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 5.5
RPG 4.5
APG .8
SPG .73
BPG .68
FG% .444
FT% .539
3P% .000
MPG 17.9

HoopsHype describes him with:

Not bad moves in the post... Not bad shooting touch... Good hands... Nice
passing skills... Can play center... Runs the floor well for a guy
his size... Lacks lateral mobility... Has lost some weight... Conditioning
is still a concern, though... An underachiever with some talent.

Since we are talking about a backup player for the LLE, I think he would give the Suns another big body to throw against the Spurs. He'd really have to work on condititioning if wants to be a rotation player with the Suns, but he could be a contributor if he did.

Last edited:

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I would not mind having Traylor. I still think we need a back-up C/PF and he fills that position. Also, we probably don't have alot of money left over, so like you said he would be good at the LLE. Better option than Bo Outlaw.

However, the only major issue I see here is that he might only get playing time in blowouts. D'Antoni probably won't play him (ala Jake and other reserves) mainly because he is slow and doesn't fit the system.

But if he gets the playing time, he will be alot better than either Jake or Outlaw.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
He would help bang against Shaq.

I wouldnt mind him at all.

I agree that he can help with Shaq and possibly Duncan, but I would much rather have Zaza Pachulia if it is at all possible (which it might be since they drafted a Center).

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Given that the Suns have apparently spent most of their money on Bell, it may be that they can't do any better than Traylor. If that's the case, however, I sure wouldn't expect much from him. He's basically Jahidi White with better hands, and he's nowhere near fit enough to play the Suns' style.

Nonetheless, I like the image of a tractor on the horizon. :thumbup:

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
I say wait and see waht happens with Divac. Divac would be a lot better fit. Or maybe sign tractor and than try and sign Divac too.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having Traylor at all.

The good thing about him is that he's productive in short minutes. The Suns could bring him in for a specific matchup--say, once or twice a week--and expect decent results.

The Suns would still need a shot-blocking center, though, so I'm not sure he's the wisest choice for the team's LLE.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm guessing the Suns will explore several free agent options, but at this point I haven't found anyone likely to be available for the LLE that would be more help. Zaza Pachulia would be a great pickup, but the chances that Hunter gets $3 plus and Zaza settling for $1.7 seems pretty far fetched.

Zaza Pachulia
Milwaukee Bucks
Position: F-C
Height: 6-11 Weight: 265
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 6.2
RPG 5.1
APG .8
SPG .59
BPG .46
FG% .452
FT% .746
3P% .000
MPG 18.9

Steven Hunter
Phoenix Suns
Position: C-F
Height: 7-0 Weight: 240
College : DePaul '03
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 4.6
RPG 3.0
APG .2
SPG .05
BPG 1.34
FG% .614
FT% .479
3P% .000
MPG 13.8

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yes to Traylor.

Best case would be Huinter & Traylor both. Then we would be set.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I'm guessing the Suns will explore several free agent options, but at this point I haven't found anyone likely to be available for the LLE that would be more help. Zaza Pachulia would be a great pickup, but the chances that Hunter gets $3 plus and Zaza settling for $1.7 seems pretty far fetched.

As you are aware George I am a big fan of Pachulia, not only because he can play now, but I see him only improving. I would like him much better than Hunter.

If the Suns could acquire him through the use of future #1 draft pick(s), hopefully in a package with Voshkuhl, I would pull the trigger in a minute.

Last edited:

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Has Rober Traylor played on a good team since he came into the NBA seven years ago? He has played in just 22 career palyoff games and if (big if) he can convince the Suns' brass that he can get into 'Suns shape' - I would think he would relish the opportunity to play on a team of this calibur.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
As you are aware George I am a big fan of Pachulia, not only because he can play now, but I see him only improving. I would like him much better than Hunter.

If the Suns could acquire him through the use of future #1 draft pick(s), hopefully in a package with Voshkuhl, I would pull the trigger in a minute.

The thought of packaging a #1 pick plus Voskuhl really seems a little too much. I mean its Zaza friggin Pachulia!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
The thought of packaging a #1 pick plus Voskuhl really seems a little too much. I mean its Zaza friggin Pachulia!

I guess the question is whether Pachulia is worth a late first.

You are not trading for value from Voskuhl, you are trading his salary.

If we can get someone that fits our team better for Voskuhl and a second then fine.

It would take a more established player than Pachulia to send a first IMO.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Lets assume the Suns resign Hunter. They would still need one more big, but I would think of the power forward, rebounding, enforcer variety. Tractor would fit this, however, I think he is just too unathletic to play for the Suns. Hunter is an athletic big who can run and block, but we need another w/ more meat, however, Tractor just has a bit too much meat for my tastes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
I guess the question is whether Pachulia is worth a late first.

You are not trading for value from Voskuhl, you are trading his salary.

If we can get someone that fits our team better for Voskuhl and a second then fine.

It would take a more established player than Pachulia to send a first IMO.

SirChaz, I glad you know where I'm coming from regarding Pachulia.

It would clear Voshkuhl's salary and the Suns would be getting a 21 year old forward/center for a late first round draft pick. However, here is where we may disagree somewhat. I view Pachulia as a forward/center on his way up. He has shown me enough where I would go after him now. If the Suns wait for him to establish himself further, then there is practically no way a team like the Suns will be able afford to get him later (see Dalembert).

The key, IMO, is recognizing young talent on the way up and I believe Pachulia is a skilled young forward/center who can already play now and will only get better.

hafey2

Rookie
Reaction score
I personally think Tractor is plenty athletic to play 10-15 mins for the Suns when called upon. He is a very deceptive athlete.

The question is: would he come here to be the 4th big after Amare, Thomas, and hopefully Hunter? There are not very many mins left over for him.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
hafey2 said:
I personally think Tractor is plenty athletic to play 10-15 mins for the Suns when called upon. He is a very deceptive athlete.

The question is: would he come here to be the 4th big after Amare, Thomas, and hopefully Hunter? There are not very many mins left over for him.

Well I thought that this was a thread saying that if we don't resign Hunter we could get Tractor

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Well I thought that this was a thread saying that if we don't resign Hunter we could get Tractor

As many threads do, I think it has mutated.

I like Tractor for our bench as it was very weak last year, especially in regard to big men. However I like Pachulia more. I think many of the fans on this Board have their favorites. :)

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
As many threads do, I think it has mutated.

I like Tractor for our bench as it was very weak last year, especially in regard to big men. However I like Pachulia more. I think many of the fans on this Board have their favorites. :)

Since I don't see the getting Pachulia for the LLE, discussing a trade is irrelevant in deciding what to do with the LLE. Trading Jake for a valuable player is a wonderful dream, but the price is likely to very high.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Since I don't see the getting Pachulia for the LLE, discussing a trade is irrelevant in deciding what to do with the LLE. Trading Jake for a valuable player is a wonderful dream, but the price is likely to very high.

There's gotta be a player on a team that is a victim of numbers, situation, etc that would benefit from a change of scenery just like Jake.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Lets assume the Suns resign Hunter. They would still need one more big, but I would think of the power forward, rebounding, enforcer variety. Tractor would fit this, however, I think he is just too unathletic to play for the Suns. Hunter is an athletic big who can run and block, but we need another w/ more meat, however, Tractor just has a bit too much meat for my tastes.
Or you could say he would bring a much needed aspect of "meat" to our allready talented & fast lineup. This team could use a guy like Traylor vs guys like Shaq & Yao. He would be perfect to come in and give 6 good fouls vs true Bigs.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Yes to Trailor even if they sign Hunter then another big realistically won't see the court very often. As a 10 minuet player he would be would be fine. But they are not set they still need another 3pt sharpshooter.

Although I just want to point out the way to beat Yao and Shaq is not to throw big bodies at them, I have never seen that work especaily against Shaq. If Trailor was so effective against them then he surely would be in much higher demand than he has been the last 3 years.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I dont where anyone said Traylor would shut anyone down, but his size can be very helpfull in playing physical for 10-15 min's on the other teams big man. He might not shut them down but he will help tire them some with his big frame. While letting Amare & others take alittle less pounding for afew min's. Just another aspect to help get an advantage over the course of a game/series...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the best ways to defend or better yet slow down Shaquille O'Neal is to put a big body out there who can deny him position. Of course this isn't going to work a good part of the time, and there are few players strong enough to do it. Jahidi White was relatively good at it. I even saw Oliver Miller do a good job of denying Shaq prime position a time or two.

Shaquille O'Neal is just not effective 10-15 feet from the basket. in fact that might really be the only way to defend him other than with double teams or been lucky enough to have a world-class defensive big man.

How is ZaZa's defense? Is it at least adequate for his size? If not, he's probably not worth much to this team.

Joe Mama

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

To get something, you have to give something.

I was looking at a sign and trade with Pachulia coming to the Suns and Voshkuhl and at least a number 1 going back to the Bucks. I don't know if it would work with the CAP, but it was just a thought on how to get a player (who I think has already demonstrated he can play at the age of 21) in a Suns uniform. If you don't like Pachulia that's fine.

I wasn't trying to work with the LLE.

Also I think getting Gadzuric in a sign and trade is also a possibility but I like Pachulia's upside more. I think both are RFA's so the Suns would have to send something the Bucks way for them to do it (besides Voshkuhl). I think the Bucks will be willing to part with a center on their roster if it makes sense as they are stocked at that position.

I think this scenario might also be used with another team if they have an expendable center that could play for the Suns. I don't think our number one picks are going to be exceedingly valuable in the next three years. I would even consider parting with a couple first round picks (with Voshkuhl) in non-consecutive years for the right player. If someone knows a better young center that is obtainable (the key word is obtainable) just fill in the blank__________.

The Suns could also be just satisfied using the LLE and the vet minimum to fill out their roster by hopefully resigning Hunter or Traylor (or whoever is willing to take what money the Suns can give) and keeping their picks. The question is, will this be enough to get the Suns a Championship which is the ultimate goal?