Caution "Rumor"

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
It would be great if the Suns could get Jones or someone like him, since IMO we are a little shallow at Guard right now (only 4 guys, LB, JJ, JJax, Nash). But even if we got Jones (or someone like him) I think we should still look for a PG in the 2nd round.

I seriously doubt Damon Jones would want to come here as a backup, and he would probably take most of or all of the mid-level exception.

I just watched a replay of the Michael Jordan classic. I've been talking about Andray Blatche for a while, but I am now officially on his bandwagon. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he is the player that the Phoenix Suns would like to move up to get. I read today that there is now a good chance he goes in the top 20. I believe he worked out once for the Phoenix Suns.

Like Amare Stoudemire, Blatche was a late basketball bloomer. He was still on the JV team at his high school as a sophomore. I've read that he's been working out and getting stronger since the Michael Jordan classic, but I imagine he will still need some work in an NBA weight room. He had some nice moves in the post, his positioning is decent on the boards, and nobody showed much defense in the game. Those are things I would expect he would learn with the team that chooses him. I don't think many of these young big men are going to come in right away as defensive stoppers. He's very long and quite athletic. I expect he could block some shots from the get go.

Blatche's ability to run and handle the ball is what got me excited. He was dribbling the ball on the break like a guard. he looks like he could take a good number of the NBA frontcourt players off the dribble from the get go.

I don't think this kid is going to be a star right off the bat, but he could give a few quality minutes off the bench. In time I think he is going to be a very good NBA player.

BTW keep in mind that I've only seen him in one game, and I'm probably a little excited about him right now. :)

Joe

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Realistically, no one has seen much of Blatche. That is what happens when a HS player emerges that was not playing for one of the nationally famous schools.

Obvioulsy doing well at a HS All Star game is not the same as playing against experienced college players, but Dwight Howard did not dominate every All Star game and became pretty good. Which proves...nothing.

I am not a big fan of drafting HS guys, even though the Suns hit a home run when they did it. MOST HS big men take four or five years to become any good. Cuiry was viewed as a flop until recently. Chandler is still a question mark, but didn't show much until lately. J O'Neal was not a big deal until after several years. K Brown is still not very far along. Some like Diop prove to be total flops.

BUT.........Obviously the Suns have worked him out and have a much better sense of what kind of player he is than I do.

asudevil83

Reaction score
hafey2 said:
im my opinion, barbosa is an awful lot to move up 5 spots

i dont think so.

if we REALLY want to draft Diogu, this pretty much guarrantees it. Peterson would give us a younger version of JJax to backup the SG/SF slot. and his contract is very decent. the two of them would be great off the bench.

also, if hunter is gone anyways....why not get something for him.

after this we'd have the possibility of a strong rotation.

also, i'm not as in love with Barbosa as many of you. he really hasnt shown anything that makes me believe that he'll bust out and do something for this team. he sure as hell has the talent, but i dont think he has the confidence to do much in this league unless he his forced to.

as long as nash is the main guy, there really wont be much to force barbosa to strive to be anything more than a backup PG if anything. he has the ability to be something great in this league, but he also has the possibility to be nothing more than what he is now.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not self evident the Suns would take Ike at 21. I see him as Malik Rose role player, which is nice but worth a huge trade down of talent to get (if Peterson could produce at PG, he'd have done it with the Raptors).

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I see him as Malik Rose role player

I see Malik Rose as the worst he will become.

My guess is offensively he plays like Randolph, maybe even out the gates.

Defensively I don't know, but he has developed his shot blocking a lot.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I see Malik Rose as the worst he will become.

My guess is offensively he plays like Randolph, maybe even out the gates.

Defensively I don't know, but he has developed his shot blocking a lot.

No kidding. Rose is about 2 inches shorter than Diogu with shorter arms. He also isn't and wasn't nearly as polished offensively. That is the worst case scenario. That's the nice thing about Ike. While the upside might not be quite as high as some of these other guys I think the chances of him being a bust are slim to none. At the very least he should be a nice role player.

Joe Mama

HooverDam

Reaction score
Ike is just the type of guy I think would fit well w/ the Suns. He isnt a project, he doesnt need to be stashed away, etc.

Ike can come in right now and play, and he has good character, he'll play hard. And Im sure he'll probably enjoy winning and not having to drag a garbage team behind him for once.

Ike may not become an All Star, but with his work ethic, I wouldnt be surprised if he did. Thats the good thing about Ike, he doesn't seem to be much of a gamble. For now he can be a nice, off the bench complimentary player. In the future, when KT is gone, maybe he becomes a starter?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Ike is just the type of guy I think would fit well w/ the Suns. He isnt a project, he doesnt need to be stashed away, etc.

Ike can come in right now and play, and he has good character, he'll play hard. And Im sure he'll probably enjoy winning and not having to drag a garbage team behind him for once.

Ike may not become an All Star, but with his work ethic, I wouldnt be surprised if he did. Thats the good thing about Ike, he doesn't seem to be much of a gamble. For now he can be a nice, off the bench complimentary player. In the future, when KT is gone, maybe he becomes a starter?

Reminds me alot of Boozer's situation when he came out.

Trying to figure out who the Suns would want that would demand they move up in the draft is nearly impossible. What's more intriguing to me is what they might give up to move up.

These are their tradeable parts right now.

Picks
Voshkul
Jim Jackson
Barbosa

The most likely candidate is Barbosa. Maybe this is the reason Rex left.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Folster said:
I am a first time poster on this website, but I have lurked around here for quite a while. I posted a few times back on the azprosports website. I usually enjoy reading, but I finally decided to post because I heard a rumor today about the suns.
First of all let me say that I am not claiming to be an insider nor do I claim to know an insider. So please don't crucify me for being a first time poster that posts a rumor.
Anyways, I called my boss today to tell him about the Q trade. He said that he had heard about it a couple of days ago. You see, my boss has a roommate who works for the suns. He is no ball boy, nor is he an executive, but he has the ability to occasionally hook-up my boss with really good seats. I do not wish to reveal his roommate's actual title for obvious reasons.
My boss then tells me that the Suns are not done and that there is another trade coming soon. Now my boss is a huge suns fan, but he is not that knowledgeable about the rest of the NBA or non-suns player. So the details are unclear. Please take this with a grain of salt as did I.

This is what he told me:

1. The Suns will move up in the draft to the 15th or 16th pick by trading Barbosa. (I assumed that we would also give up the 21st and possibly someone else.) He did not know what player that we wanted to select.

2. The Suns are going to pick-up a back-up point guard for Nash who is being personally requested by Nash. He told me that he could not remember his name but that he used to play behind Nash in Dallas. (I immediately guessed Van Exel, but he said that wasn't it.) He said the player was old. (After looking at rosters I can only guess Travis Best.) Anyone else have an idea?

What say you?

Like I said before, this is a RUMOR. Oh yeah, it's great to finally be a part of this site.

I've been thinking about this rumor. What if it is all right except the back up guard is not a point guard but just a guard?

Finley.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No more on the rumor front. I guess we will know in a couple days about the draft pick but the back up point guard might take a while longer.

JCSunsfan said:
I've been thinking about this rumor. What if it is all right except the back up guard is not a point guard but just a guard?

Finley.

Finley definitely was not part of the rumor. Although I would prefer it.

The more I look at both rumors the more I don't like either.

First of all, trading Barbosa and possibly our pick to move up five spots seems pointless unless the suns have a sure stud that they want.

Also I would rather pick up Nate Robinson than any back-up point that used to play for the Mavs

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folster said:
First of all, trading Barbosa and possibly our pick to move up five spots seems pointless unless the suns have a sure stud that they want.

Also I would rather pick up Nate Robinson than any back-up point that used to play for the Mavs

It sounds like there's a good chance Robinson will be gone by the end of the first round. At worst he should be taken at the beginning of the second round. Unless the Phoenix Suns take him at #21 or trade down or acquire another late first-round draft pick he isn't going to be with Phoenix next year.

Joe Mama