Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

hafey2

Rookie
Reaction score
I saw that too and also took it with a grain of salt. However, I'm not quite sure what to make of the trade, if true.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd be crazy about this trade (if it's true), but it's probably not horrible either. They both have trade kickers in their contracts so we'd be taking on more salary so it doesn't help us resign Joe Johnson (who we can match any offer on anyways). This would give us a better balanced team and we'd still have the ability to run, but it does take away a 3pt shooter.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well if this is true ColoradoSun got his wish. I hope its fake though, I am all for getting a big man, but Kurt Thomas? A 33 year old center is not what I had in mind though. He has a 4 year/30 million dollar contract, I think thats more than I'd be willing to be pay for an aging center.

If this is true, it reminds me of the Hot Rod Williams for Dan Majerle trade, hope the Suns learned from that one.

EDIT: I think the thing that tips this off as being fake, for me, is the line about how its well known that the Suns have to trade one of their starters. BC has said he wants to keep this team together and I havent heard any legitimate sources saying Q will be traded.

OP
OP
H

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Well if this is true ColoradoSun got his wish. I hope its fake though, I am all for getting a big man, but Kurt Thomas? A 33 year old center is not what I had in mind though. He has a 4 year/30 million dollar contract, I think thats more than I'd be willing to be pay for an aging center.

If this is true, it reminds me of the Hot Rod Williams for Dan Majerle trade, hope the Suns learned from that one.

It depends on Knicks' 1st rounder's protection.

cly2tw

Reaction score
hcsilla said:
If the report is true it's very similar to elindholm's Q for Joe Smith proposal.

But I think Kurt is a much better defender though probably older. My problem with this trade is I'm not quite sure Kurt could defend Duncan or Rasheed properly and he is indeed foul-prone to start with. I'd prefer shipping away Marion if we are to play a more conventional lineup, as he has higher trade value in order get back better and more. I think with Amare and whoever upfront, Kurt, Swift, Nene, Magloire, etc, the backcourt of Nash/JJ/Q or Nash/JJ/Marion is about the same as to our chance of winning in the playoffs.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
If this be true, i'd be a little dissapointed that we gave up on Q so quickly.
His importance to this team has been severely underestimated if he's gone.

Majerle for Hot Rod take 2.

cly2tw

Reaction score
On the RealGM trade forum I saw a ridiculous Ind/NO/Phx trade proposal from an Indy fan. We'd send Marion and LB for Foster and Bender while Pacers get Magloire. If NO is interested, we can do a Marion for Magloire + their 2nd rounder straight up. With the 5 mil trade exception we can trade our next year's #1 + any 2nd rounder (like the right for Vujanic) to Washington for Kwame brown sign-and-trade. Sign Marshall for the MLE, Traylor for 1.5m exception and Kareem Rush for minimum; draft Diogu and a backup PG in the 2nd. We end up with:

Amare/Magloire/JoeJ/Q/Nash

Kwame/Trailor/Jake/Diogu/Marshall/JimJ/Barbosa/Rush/2nd-rounders

Defensively, we can match with any team in the league. Offensively, we don't really lose much compared with this year.

mribnik

Reaction score
I was looking for more information about this supposed deal and came across someone on the espn board (yeah I know) claiming that on the Best Damn Sports Show tonight Gary Payton said next season he wants to play with either the Celtics, Kings or Suns.

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to se Q go but I like the trade. Thomas is very good defender and can hit the open shot (in fact the best big man at shooting that 18 footer). Big man that can play d and rebound.
I loved Q as well. He was probably best friends with Amare and everyone liked him on the squad. Still, I think this leaves us much better if/when we sign some bench players.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I am posting because I want to see the updates in Thread that will come in my email :D

I'm not sure what to think, the Suns obviously need a F/C and with JJack the team still can play skillball with JJack replacing Q but man I really liked Q... I really don't want to say much, unless there is indeed a Trade.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
This is what came to my mind as well... I'm not too sure about this deal.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
mribnik said:
I was looking for more information about this supposed deal and came across someone on the espn board (yeah I know) claiming that on the Best Damn Sports Show tonight Gary Payton said next season he wants to play with either the Celtics, Kings or Suns.
Screw Paton :moon:. He needs more playing time than winning. Let him go to Clippers... :mad:

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe this is bogus.....

We must examine this deal also from the Knicks stand-point...do they really have a major need for Q? Don't they already have Marbury, Crawford, Houston, and even Penny at guard? I just dont see how it is feasible for the Knicks to make this trade since theyre stacked at guard and even lack a proficient rebounder (like Thomas) themselves....

The Suns wont make any significant deals involving any of this past season's starters... all they must do is add to the framework they already have....

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
I like the trade

KT averaged a double double last year, 11 and 10 and this allows marion to go back to his natural position at the 3 spot. Thomas gives us a little toughness and lets face it, Q was the weak link

thundermike

Reaction score
To tell you the truth i'd like that trade. Kurt is older than Q but his contract is 2 year shorter and he can improve our game around the basket (with also great defense, word that Q, except for some sporadic plays, don't know), let marion to play 3 and don't change the suns run and gun system. And he can play very well pick and roll with Steve, because he has very good mid range shoot. And since there is also a first round pick involved (conditional, and let's hope not to happen the same with the Bulls this year, passing from the 7 to the 21. but we could sleep well with NY about that :D ) i repeat: good trade.
And another good reason for him to be traded: Q has stolen the record of 3's of Thunderdan: f**k you, man! :mad:

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
RealGM seems pretty convinced of this trade going down.

I'm not.

Maybe it's just me and I haven't seen enough of Thomas play, but I think this trade kinda sucks considering the players out there for the MLE, unless BC knows that SAR or Swift won't come here.

If we do trade Q, then who do we get out there as another shooter to spread the floor?

I'm all the way over in Europe and have to wake up to this crap of a trade? Sorry for all you KT fans, but this trade does nothing for me.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I doubt this is true, but if it is, I like it. I've always been a fan of Kurt Thomas and I think he would fit well. Kinda sad to see Q go. I am very happy about one thing though- Suns might be looking to actually play somewhat normal lineups.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If legitimate, my guess is that this deal only happens if the Suns don't have access to a big man they like in the draft. For example, if Ike is gone and the Suns take Garcia, then getting KT would make some short term sense.

scotsman13

Reaction score
ok if this trade is true i like it. it helps on a couple areas we need. rebounding, shot blocking, and most importantly toughness. thomas has one is one of those players that will go after someone if he need to. he can protect nash and amare while running with the team. cant you see what would happen if if someone uncut marion with thomas around?

as for penny on the knicks i think you can count on the knicks taking advanage of that new rule able cutting a player with penny or allen houston. heck i would almost be shocked if ether of them were on the knicks next year.