Taylor's Career Could Be Over

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
TAYLOR'S CAREER COULD BE OVER

The fact that Redskins safety Sean Taylor has been arrested for aggravated assault in connection with an alleged shooting in Dade County, Florida raises obvious questions regarding whether he'll be convicted, incarcerated, etc.

But given that NFL players charged with seemingly serious crimes generally have escaped significant consequences (with the exception of former Panthers receiver Rae "Father of the Year" Carruth, who is rotting in a Carolina cell after having his baby's momma killed), most folks who have heard about Taylor's arrest assume that the downside for him will be relatively minimal. After all, it's not like he actually shot someone.

Guess again.

Not about actually shooting someone. He didn't. In fact, it appears that the trigger never was pulled. But the end result for Taylor could end up being worse in Florida than it would have been in another state if he'd actually planted the slug in someone's ass.

Why, you aks? In 1998, Florida passed a law imposing strict prison terms on certain gun crimes.

Pulling a gun in connection with an aggravated assault results in a 10-year sentence. MANDATORY.

Regardless of whether Taylor can find a way out of this one, there's no doubt that he's in some serious doo-doo.

Nice knowin' ya, Sean. . . . Actually, it wasn't.

From PFT, so take it with a grain of salt.

I just found it interesting that no other media picked up on the 10-year mandatory sentence.

No matter what happens with Taylor this clearly shows that he's a bum. We should thank Green every day for being so high on Fitz and drafting him. The next two players on our board (and everybody else's) were Taylor and Winslow.... :eek:

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Washington Times is reporting that if no shots were fired, the charge is one of three that draws a 3-year minimum sentence. if shots were fired, it escalates to 20 years minimum. The simple battery charge has a maximum 1-year sentence.

Either way, Taylor very probably is looking at some missed games and/or seasons depending how quickly the process moves.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally_Red said:
Washington Times is reporting that if no shots were fired, the charge is one of three that draws a 3-year minimum sentence. if shots were fired, it escalates to 20 years minimum. The simple battery charge has a maximum 1-year sentence.

Either way, Taylor very probably is looking at some missed games and/or seasons depending how quickly the process moves.

That's what I saw on I think Fox News last night. They said what Taylor did is considered brandishing(if he didn't fire) and that was 3 years. They also said Taylor is denying he brandished a gun at all, which is of course what you would assume he'd say realizing he could be facing 3 years in jail.

Based on past events, like the Colts player firing a gun outside a restaurant at 2 am and getting off fairly easily(I think it was Doss I forget), one could assume Taylor will be able to pleabargain down to the simple battery charge but you kind of get the impression that might not fly.

I agree, great player but what a complete idiot to pull a stunt like this, he's lucky he's not dead himself not to mention killing someone else.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
The sad part is I lobbied...HARD...for Taylor. Sometimes it's good to be wrong. What a moron.

PK1

I did too.

:trout:

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Based on past events, like the Colts player firing a gun outside a restaurant at 2 am and getting off fairly easily(I think it was Doss I forget), one could assume Taylor will be able to pleabargain down to the simple battery charge but you kind of get the impression that might not fly.

But Doss didn't fire the gun in Florida, right? That's the difference...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN is kind of confirming what I saw last night. Taylor and a friend confronted some people they thought had stolen 2 all terrain vehicles. Taylor pulled a gun(brandishing) and reportedly pointed it at them, but didn't fire. Taylor left the scene, returned 10 minutes later and punched someone, thus the simple battery. The aggravated assault I assume includes the punch and pointing the gun, not really sure. The friend chased someone with a baseball bat and was arrested and charged with aggravated assault.

I heard on radio this morning that basically Taylor denied pointing the gun his claim is the gun was tucked into his pants and he pulled his shirt up to reveal he had a gun (you the know the stereotypical hollywood gangster move). He said he realized it was out of control and left the scene, then came back without the gun and got into a fight with one of the guys(the punch). So it all boils down to does that all constitute aggravated assault (3 years) or can they plea bargain it down to simple battery.

what a mess, when are these guys going to realize how stupid this all seems, they make all this money and they're running around playing Boyz N the Hood?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BACH said:
But Doss didn't fire the gun in Florida, right? That's the difference...

Yeah but so far the claim here is Taylor didn't fire the gun at all. I agree though if PFT is right about the Florida law he could be in a lot more trouble than Doss, who DID fire the gun(supposedly up into the air).

In California Doss would be in jail right now, there's such a big problem with guys shooting off guns on New Years(straight up) that they passed a law a few years ago that mandates jail time for doing it, I think it's a 6 month minimum but I forget, they advertise it every year leading up to New Years.

Incredibly stupid move by Taylor, even if these guys did steal his ATV's why the hell didn't he just call the police instead of taking it into his own hands? Makes you wonder if he knows riding ATV's violates his contract and decided he better not involve the police to avoid publicity over this?

Crazy.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
The sad part is I lobbied...HARD...for Taylor. Sometimes it's good to be wrong. What a moron.

Me too.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Taylor's problems were one reason that I didn't want Rolle. Both are supposed to be sons of cops and good kids. So far, I think Rolle has shown he's not like Taylor and he is a good kid. I don't know how Taylor did in the classroom, but Rolle is a good student and obviously seems to have more smarts than Taylor.

Man, what is it about Miami players? I hope Rolle proves to be the exception! So far, Green has not drafted any troublemakers so I think the Cards are safe.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pete said:
Taylor's problems were one reason that I didn't want Rolle. Both are supposed to be sons of cops and good kids. So far, I think Rolle has shown he's not like Taylor and he is a good kid. I don't know how Taylor did in the classroom, but Rolle is a good student and obviously seems to have more smarts than Taylor.

Man, what is it about Miami players? I hope Rolle proves to be the exception! So far, Green has not drafted any troublemakers so I think the Cards are safe.

Rolle's dad is a cop, I don't think Taylor's is. Taylor was ironically enough a criminology major at Miami so that may be where that came from. Or maybe his dad is a cop and I just don't know that, I know Rolle's is there was some innuendo that the trouble Rolle got into prior to his senior year went away in part because of his dad's connections.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taylor is not going to be convicted of any misconduct involving the gun. I'm sure of it. He'll get a simple battery conviction and a slap on the wrist. I don't see why he'll be any different from guys like Pittman, Little, Chmura, etc., etc.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Taylor is not going to be convicted of any misconduct involving the gun. I'm sure of it. He'll get a simple battery conviction and a slap on the wrist. I don't see why he'll be any different from guys like Pittman, Little, Chmura, etc., etc.

If the law in Florida is what PFT says it is then clearly the key to his whole future outlook is if he can plea bargain the gun out of the equation.

That said even if you're right and he gets off that light I would expect the NFL to step in and suspend him if not Washington. I gotta believe at least some of what he did violates some clause in his contract and with him holding out I can't see why Washington wouldn't use that violation to suspend him without pay.

Based on what I've read I would agree he's not likely to be facing a 10-20 year sentence it doesn't appear he fired the gun, he's disputing he even drew it, but it's still a case where IMHO if they let the guy off with a wrist slap he'll just learn there are no consequences to his actions and do something worse the next time. SO I'd hope he at least gets some sort of NFL suspension and loses some pay over this assuming he's convicted.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:

PK1

Yeah, I wouldn't have been pushing for him but Section 11 made me do it. :D

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Rolle's dad is a cop, I don't think Taylor's is. Taylor was ironically enough a criminology major at Miami so that may be where that came from. Or maybe his dad is a cop and I just don't know that, I know Rolle's is there was some innuendo that the trouble Rolle got into prior to his senior year went away in part because of his dad's connections.

This is how rumors get started and perpetuated. Taylor's father is the Chief of police in Florida City. Fl. Taylor was a very good student . Taylor has long been noted for being a whacko. So, we may conclude that good family and education don't guarantee anything. Taylor is definitely different.

Rolle's father is the Chief of Police in Homestead which is right next door to Florida City, Fl. These are the last 2 mainland towns on the way to the Keys. Agriculture/farming communities with lots of migrants and illegal aliens.

Rolle did not get off because of his father's connection. His father and the arresting Miami Beach department went public and open and left any connection out of the circumstances. The press immediately jumped on this aspect and it was addressed before he was arraigned. If anything, the scrutiny made it more difficult. The charges were dropped because they were bogus and exagerated. He was racially profiled, which is extremely common for a Cuban /Latin dominated Miami Beach police department. The immigrant Cuban and Black communities have a long history of animosity. Fact of life. Goes back to immigrant Cubans taking over black dominated jobs in the food and hotel industry during the 60's. They basically hate each other. :shrug:

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

Terrible sense of timing for Taylor. If he had waited until October 1, he would have been , by law, allowed to brandish a gun and shoot the guy. :eek:

It's great living in Florida. :sarcasm:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
This is how rumors get started and perpetuated. Taylor's father is the Chief of police in Florida City. Fl. Taylor was a very good student . Taylor has long been noted for being a whacko. So, we may conclude that good family and education don't guarantee anything. Taylor is definitely different.

Rolle's father is the Chief of Police in Homestead which is right next door to Florida City, Fl. These are the last 2 mainland towns on the way to the Keys. Agriculture/farming communities with lots of migrants and illegal aliens.

Rolle did not get off because of his father's connection. His father and the arresting Miami Beach department went public and open and left any connection out of the circumstances. The press immediately jumped on this aspect and it was addressed before he was arraigned. If anything, the scrutiny made it more difficult. The charges were dropped because they were bogus and exagerated. He was racially profiled, which is extremely common for a Cuban /Latin dominated Miami Beach police department. The immigrant Cuban and Black communities have a long history of animosity. Fact of life. Goes back to immigrant Cubans taking over black dominated jobs in the food and hotel industry during the 60's. They basically hate each other. :shrug:

Thanks for the correction on Taylor's dad.

Regarding Rolle, as I said, there was some innuendo, I didn't say it was true but as you said there were rumors at the time that his father being a cop helped him get off, that's what I mean by innuendo.

Did Taylor have run ins with the law before he got to the NFL? If he did I'm amazed it didn't come out pre draft and make him drop like a stone, if this kind of stuff is not new I'm amazed he went as high as he did.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Thanks for the correction on Taylor's dad.

Regarding Rolle, as I said, there was some innuendo, I didn't say it was true but as you said there were rumors at the time that his father being a cop helped him get off, that's what I mean by innuendo.

Did Taylor have run ins with the law before he got to the NFL? If he did I'm amazed it didn't come out pre draft and make him drop like a stone, if this kind of stuff is not new I'm amazed he went as high as he did.

No run ins with the law that I am aware of. Just was considered different by team mates and coaching staff. There may have been some low key stuff. He basically sees himself as a " tough guy". Got a bit carried away with that image.
Definitely not choir boy image.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
No run ins with the law that I am aware of. Just was considered different by team mates and coaching staff. There may have been some low key stuff. He basically sees himself as a " tough guy". Got a bit carried away with that image.
Definitely not choir boy image.

Thanks, about the only negative I heard on Taylor pre draft was that coaches occasionally had to pull him off the field in practices because he was playing too hard and they were afraid he was going to hurt himself or others. He just didn't like no contact practices.

I hope he learns from this.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I was in the don't touch Taylor with a ten foot pole boat!

:self:

Miami players have a reputation for being long on talent and short on brains. It is now a real possibility that neither Taylor or Winslow, the top two selected Miami players from last season, will not play this upcoming season. Let's hope this year's crop does a little better at taking care of business off the field. They certainly have a lot of examples of what not to do if you are an ex-Miami player.

I think Rolle will be fine. He seems like a good kid who is sincere about being a player in this league. But that is what you would expect leading up into a contract negotiation. It seems like once they get the dough, some revert back into being punks, but I don't get the impression Rolle will do that. He's impressed me so far and I'm glad the Cards picked him. I can't wait to see him on the field as it has been a few years since the Cards had a shutdown CB in the lineup.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
For what its worth... I race motocross in the quad pro class. My bike has a lot of money, time, and energy invested in it. Before I pass judgement, I have to ask myself what I would do. None of us know all the circumstances, but hypothetically speaking, if Joe Blow down two blocks away swiped my baby, there would be problems. I dont think I would shoot anyone over it, but I could see me assulting someone, especially if I caught them with it. I know these guys make a lot of money and need to excersise better judgement at times, but they still react how most of us would. I think the whole miami thing, malcontent 1st rd pick, contract crap just add to the sensationalism that he is a hood. BTW- as the son of a cop, and wouldabeen 5th generation cop if I didnt break the cycle, It dont mean **** as far as your behavior goes. I was always in trouble.:devil:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No matter what, Taylor loses ALOT of money.

Who knows if he would have gotten a new restructured deal he was complaining about, but now....there's no chance.

So you can't say he would have gotten a deal, but could have. Now that could have is a never going to happen.

Couple that with suspension/fine.....and that's at the very least he'll face.

Who knows what they will charge him with, but even in HIS best scenario, he lost a lot by doing this.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
what a mess, when are these guys going to realize how stupid this all seems, they make all this money and they're running around playing Boyz N the Hood?

Not anytime soon. You can carve that in stone.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose