Boldin

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Only if they finish the season three million dollars under the cap could you argue that the Cards cut Shelton and didn't spend it on anyone else.

Right but it does not get them down below the league spending minimum so there is nothing to force them to spend that money correct?

"I hate lotteries" commented the defense attorney. "It makes your average juror think that $4 million dollars is chump change."

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Right but it does not get them down below the league spending minimum so there is nothing to force them to spend that money correct?

"I hate lotteries" commented the defense attorney. "It makes your average juror think that $4 million dollars is chump change."

They are well above the league spending minimum right now.

Reaction score
Harry said:
I understand the concerns are now mostly wording and side issues. I take it from what I am hearing that the money is largely agreed to. If you've ever seen a contract, it's easy to see why finishing it is so hard. There's no longer a standart contract. I think the Cards would like to have it done before June 1, but that may not be possible. My understanding on the minor issues is that none are deal-breakers.

Thanks, Harry!

This makes perfect sense... Money is settled; Boldin comes in to workouts, knowing that the little details will be worked given time.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Harry said:
I understand the concerns are now mostly wording and side issues. I take it from what I am hearing that the money is largely agreed to. If you've ever seen a contract, it's easy to see why finishing it is so hard. There's no longer a standart contract. I think the Cards would like to have it done before June 1, but that may not be possible. My understanding on the minor issues is that none are deal-breakers.

Great news. Git er done!!!! :thumbup: :beer:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
If we can get him signed soon that equals no problems in camp. God I hope we get him signed soon.

did we sign all our rookies without my noticing already?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I really would have answered sooner, but I have been out of the country. Sorry. No I don't hang at camp. In fact, I now live in Florida. Even though this hasn't been signed yet; it's a done deal. Rosenhaus is holding up any signing as he is an a tricky spot. The client who reported, against his wishes, is the one who got the deal. The could announce it any time, but it looks like they are likely to wait until there is some progress on one of the other players.

As to my sources, they are fewer these days, but mostly straight up people. I still have friends in the press and among the scouting services with whom I correspond. Occasionally I still give an opinion on someone when asked (which isn't often thank goodness). I am truly retired. I pop in to this board when I get the chance, but I must admit life is good. I am a cancer survivor who reordered his priorities in recent years. I still read as many of the posts as possible and I truly think this is one of the best boards I have seen, especially with regard to player evaluation. Oh yeah, I am the guy who sometimes can fit in an article. Thanks for the kind words.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Harry said:
I really would have answered sooner, but I have been out of the country. Sorry. No I don't hang at camp. In fact, I now live in Florida. Even though this hasn't been signed yet; it's a done deal. Rosenhaus is holding up any signing as he is an a tricky spot. The client who reported, against his wishes, is the one who got the deal. The could announce it any time, but it looks like they are likely to wait until there is some progress on one of the other players.

As to my sources, they are fewer these days, but mostly straight up people. I still have friends in the press and among the scouting services with whom I correspond. Occasionally I still give an opinion on someone when asked (which isn't often thank goodness). I am truly retired. I pop in to this board when I get the chance, but I must admit life is good. I am a cancer survivor who reordered his priorities in recent years. I still read as many of the posts as possible and I truly think this is one of the best boards I have seen, especially with regard to player evaluation. Oh yeah, I am the guy who sometimes can fit in an article. Thanks for the kind words.
Thanks, Harry. Good to have you around.

Always enjoy your evaluations and articles.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry said:

Harry, you are flat out the best! Keep it coming!

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
Harry said:

Harry, enjoy seafood ,the beach,sunshine and the most important, live every day like it's your last. May we all bring you a Big Red Super Bowl Victory.
I have always enjoyed your message board and chat room during the draft.
Class act!

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Harry said:

Thanks for the info Harry!!!

:raccoon:

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate the info on Boldin, Harry. But, I'm confused as to why an agent would hold up the signing for the reasons you indicated. I'm under the assumption that the agent works for the player. And, at this point, it would seem that if they actually have arrived at an agreement it should be made public. That is, it would make the player look good from the fans perspective!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Chainthroer said:
I appreciate the info on Boldin, Harry. But, I'm confused as to why an agent would hold up the signing for the reasons you indicated. I'm under the assumption that the agent works for the player. And, at this point, it would seem that if they actually have arrived at an agreement it should be made public. That is, it would make the player look good from the fans perspective!

Well to me it makes sense enough.

I can picture Drew asking Boldin to hold up to help out he other players and Boldin having no problem doing that if the deal is done he probably could care less about announcing it since there isn't an issue because he's reporting now when he should.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Well to me it makes sense enough.

I can picture Drew asking Boldin to hold up to help out he other players and Boldin having no problem doing that if the deal is done he probably could care less about announcing it since there isn't an issue because he's reporting now when he should.

What if Boldin gets injured before signing??

I mean I hope the Cards would do the right thing.... but what is right for me is not necessarily right for the Cards.

Oh.... and Harry is Da-Bomb!!!

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
What if Boldin gets injured before signing??

I mean I hope the Cards would do the right thing.... but what is right for me is not necessarily right for the Cards.

Oh.... and Harry is Da-Bomb!!!

That was my thinking. Seems like a high risk gamble on Boldin's part. If he blows out a knee again, and is still under his current contract, who would be so quick to sign him to a longer, more lucrative contract?

If I were Boldin, my line of thought would be "Screw Drew, and what he is trying to accomplish with T.O. etc"

Take care of yourself and let Drew worry about the mess he's created.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Harry said:
I'm hearing the extesion will get done and likely very soon.

The Cubs signed their 1st round draft pick (#21) on the same day he was drafted this week. His agent is Scott Boras. This is amazing considering Boras is his agent but then again he is a left handed high school pitcher who received a 1.7 milllion signing bonus. I think Boras is Boldin and Owens agent is he not.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
That was my thinking. Seems like a high risk gamble on Boldin's part. If he blows out a knee again, and is still under his current contract, who would be so quick to sign him to a longer, more lucrative contract?

If I were Boldin, my line of thought would be "Screw Drew, and what he is trying to accomplish with T.O. etc"

Take care of yourself and let Drew worry about the mess he's created.

I'd have to believe that part of not signing the deal would be an injury waiver that is very close to what rookies sign, allowing them to practice.

The wording could leave a small gap but mostly if it's been done then Boldin is fine.

That being said, yeah if he's going without one then Drew is skating on really thin ice and dragging Boldin with him.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
john h said:
I think Boras is Boldin and Owens agent is he not.

Negative. I believe Rosenhaus is their agent. Unless I'm wrong, Boras is strictly a baseball agent.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
Negative. I believe Rosenhaus is their agent. Unless I'm wrong, Boras is strictly a baseball agent.
I think John is saying that Boras is the opposite of Rosenhaus. I'm not positive, though...

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rosenhaus

reps them both and others. Johnson just reported saying his agent works for him not the other way around.