Reaction score
Green: Shelton didn’t produce

CARDINALS NOTEBOOK

By DARREN URBAN
TRIBUNE
-
-
CONTACT WRITER: (480) 898-6495 or [email protected]

****Cardinals coach Dennis Green stressed Thursday there was a simple reason why he decided to cut offensive lineman L.J. Shelton.
****Shelton simply didn’t produce.
****"I deal in results," Green said. "I don’t think many people around here are used to dealing in results.
****"I came here in 2004, I saw in four (home) games, there were less than 25,000 people in the stands. Somebody has to be accountable for that. People are not going to see you play unless you accept the responsibility of putting a winning team on the field. That’s what I always do."
****Green reiterated he thought the line was the team’s most underachieving unit when he took over last year. After cutting both Shelton and tackle Anthony Clement over the past couple of weeks, four of the team’s five offensive line starters from 2003 are no longer with the team.
****The lone player remaining, tackle Leonard Davis, also got a subtle admonition from Green.
****"We hope Leonard Davis accepts the challenge that he be as good as (Pro Bowlers) Walter Jones and Orlando Pace because he had that kind of promise coming out, he was drafted in that kind of position and he has that kind of potential," Green said.
****Green deflected questions asking him to assess his line depth. But he left no doubt that changes are possible.
****"We started it last year and we are into it again this year and we will probably continue it next year," Green said. "It’s nothing personal against Shelton or Clement or anybody else. It’s just part of what you have to do if you are going to be a winning football team."
****SHIPP’S SHAPE
****Running back Marcel Shipp looked good Thursday, running hard in the heat as he was put through rehab work by team physical therapist Rich Elsner.
****"I want to get out there, man. It’s eating me up," said Shipp, expected to combine with rookie J.J. Arrington to make up most of the Cards’ running game in 2005. "I’d go out and practice with the rookies if I could."
****Shipp admitted his rehab has taken longer than expected. He was supposed to have been ready for minicamp in late April. But Shipp said the ankle dislocation has been the lingering problem, as opposed to the broken leg suffered during the same horrific play during a training camp scrimmage last August.
****He said he will "definitely" be ready to practice June 1, when the veterans return for 11 more team organized workouts.
****"They have been very patient with me," Shipp said.
****EXTRA POINTS
****Safety Ernest Shazor missed the past two days of rookie workouts for personal business, Green said, but he is expected back for next week’s work. The rookies are off until Monday. . . .
****In Wednesday’s story about Shelton being cut, it should have said that the cap hit the Cards will now take (about $3.3 million because of a pro-rated signing bonus) comes close to canceling out the hit they would have taken if Shelton had stayed on the team (about $3.8 million, or $3 million in salary and $800,000 in pro-rated bonus). As a result, the Cards still should have between $9 million and $10 million in cap room, with about $4.3 million going to their drafted rookie pool. . . .
****Kurt Warner’s new No. 13 Cardinals jersey ranked as the 24th best seller in the entire league based on NFLshop.com’s sales from April 1 through May 14. Warner’s jersey was not even available until April 21, when the Cards unveiled their new uniforms.
****Randy Moss’ No. 18 Oakland jersey was the top seller, followed by Michael Vick’s No. 7 Atlanta jersey and Tom Brady’s No. 12 New England jersey.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Urban is usually pretty reliable so how come his cap information is different than what we were hearing yesterday? If I read him correctly we SAVED 500K by cutting LJ. Now you have to pay his replacement but his replacement is probably one of the young guys who make less than that anyways.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After ripping the media on another thread for not asking the tough follow up questions to less-than-specific comments from team players and officials, Darrell Urban seems to have come the closest to delivering the answers to questions fans are asking.

Unanswered throught offseason has been how Shipp has been progressing with rehab. Darren told us.

Some of us wanted to know what the real reasons were behind the release of LJ and Clement. Darrell (centering his opinions around Green's statements) made more sense of this than other local media sources (i.e. despite the individual reputations of the 5 player-components of the o-line, the entire unit was underperforming and changes had to be made somewhere to change the karma). Urban even picked up on Dennis' raised verbal eyebrow about Leonard Davis playing to potential.

If I'm the managing sports director of the AZR or FoxSportsAZ, I'd be embarrassed that a beat guy from (with apologies to Darrell and his bosses) "the second paper in town" was continually beating my people to the punch.

End of rant.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Wow

****Kurt Warner’s new No. 13 Cardinals jersey ranked as the 24th best seller in the entire league based on NFLshop.com’s sales from April 1 through May 14. Warner’s jersey was not even available until April 21, when the Cards unveiled their new uniforms.

Even with the new uniforms that is impressive. I wonder if Kurt bought a couple boxes to ship to tsunami victims?!?!

seesred

Reaction score
Just sent him a note. He has always been on top of the sports scene in this state. Great news on Shipp!

GBR
IN Green we trust

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I deal in results," Green said. "I don’t think many people around here are used to dealing in results.

I think #1 on that list is over half the AZ Cardinals fan base.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Totally_Red said:

That's good news about Shipp. I wonder about the Warner jersey, though. I want to buy a Cards jersey, I just don't know who I should get. I want nothing more than for warner to succeed, but if he only ends up being here one year...oh well, maybe I should just get a Boldin jersey.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally_Red said:

Even with the new uniforms that is impressive. I wonder if Kurt bought a couple boxes to ship to tsunami victims?!?!

I can't beleive that! Who is buying his jersey? Ram fans?

I would have thought that fitzgerald or Boldin would sell better than Warner.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I can't beleive that! Who is buying his jersey? Ram fans?

I would have thought that fitzgerald or Boldin would sell better than Warner.

Warner was a star on the national level. Apparently, he still has some fans all across the country. Neither Boldin or Fitz have gotten 2% of the attention he's gotten. If you're talking just the Phoenix area, you could be right. If you're talking just season ticket holders, you are for sure right.

MemphisRam

Veteran
Reaction score
Warner is huge in the Christian community. He has also developed somewhat of a cult following amongst some Rams fans.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Ross is a better pass blocker and run blocker at RT. So yes, he is better than Shelton.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
MemphisRam said:
Is Oliver Ross really better than L.J. Shelton? I have my doubts.

At RT yes, at the worst they are the same.

But the biggest diffrence is in the attitudes. Ross is a more spoken leader with a much more mean streak in him, which Shelton didnt have a shred of, and something this oline really needs.

MemphisRam

Veteran
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Ross is a better pass blocker and run blocker at RT. So yes, he is better than Shelton.

From what I've read, pass blocking isn't this guys strong suit.

In fact, according to stats.com, Ross gave up 7 sacks last year in a run first offense that had almost twice as many rushing attempts than they had passing attempts. Was Shelton really that bad?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
****"We hope Leonard Davis accepts the challenge that he be as good as (Pro Bowlers) Walter Jones and Orlando Pace because he had that kind of promise coming out, he was drafted in that kind of position and he has that kind of potential," Green said.
:thumbup: Kick his ass, Denny...