Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0519cards0519.html

Cards cut ties with Shelton
Timing hits cap for $3.3M

Odeen Domingo
The Arizona Republic
May. 19, 2005 12:00 AM

The Cardinals cut offensive tackle L.J. Shelton on Wednesday, a surprising move because of its timing.

By releasing him Wednesday, it is believed that about $3.3 million will be counted against the Cardinals' cap space for this year, which is around $9 million. Had the team cut him after June 1, the 2005 cap hit would have been about $833,000, with the rest of the money ($2.5 million) going toward the 2006 salary cap.

But Rod Graves, Cardinals vice president of football operations, said the team has so much cap room, it didn't mind cutting Shelton before June 1. The team had been trying to trade Shelton before, on and even after the NFL draft - most notably to the Buffalo Bills for running back Travis Henry - but failed. advertisement

"We just felt like at this point it made no sense to hold him any longer," Graves said. "There are ramifications from a cap standpoint but we have (a lot of) cap room and we'd rather take that medicine now rather than push it to next year."

Shelton and the team have been on opposite ends for quite some time. Cardinals coach Dennis Green demoted Shelton from starting left tackle to backup last summer, just a half-year after Shelton signed a five-year extension worth between $20 million to $25 million.

Although he saw some starts in 2004, Shelton, a 1999 first-round pick, never became one of Green's guys.

The Cardinals gave Shelton permission to not report to any of this off-season's workouts. Shelton, who had four years remaining on his contract at $3 million a year, has been paid about $10 million from his contract extension.

Shelton, 29, said he doesn't hold ill will toward the team and hopes it doesn't hold any toward him. He said he believes the move gives him a head start in finding a new team over the players who will be cut after June 1.

"It's a credit to the Cardinals," Shelton said. "They could have held me to June 1. But they did this, in my opinion, to give me a head start on the second wave of free agency. It just shows how a classy organization they are and I'm thankful for that."

Eric Metz, an agent based in Phoenix who along with Colorado-based Vance Larimer represents Shelton, said he is pleased that the Cardinals gave them an opportunity to find Shelton a better situation. Both Shelton and Metz said other teams have been calling, although declined to say which teams and how many contacted them Wednesday.

"We've spoken to some other clubs. There's definitely some interest in him," Metz said. "It's definitely to his advantage that it happened now than two weeks from now. It gives him an extra two weeks to shop the market."

Little-used second-year tight end Lorenzo Diamond was also cut. Diamond recorded three receptions for 19 yards in 2004

From the Republic. We been over this a million times, but notice:
By releasing him Wednesday, it is believed that about $3.3 million will be counted against the Cardinals' cap space for this year, which is around $9 million. Had the team cut him after June 1, the 2005 cap hit would have been about $833,000, with the rest of the money ($2.5 million) going toward the 2006 salary cap.
Whoever this new guy is - He doesn't understand the cap. $3.3M would have been correct if the Cards hadn't used exiting cap space to extent him - they did...

AND releasing a player after June 1 would have split the $3.3M hit, not divided it into a 800,000 and 2,5M hit.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in St. Louis or Tennessee. :). Those are always my first guess whenever we cut someone.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
HookemCards said:
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in St. Louis or Tennessee. :). Those are always my first guess whenever we cut someone.
:) Good One...

I think he'll end up in Chicago. They wanted LJ and LJ wanted to go there, too. The Bears and Cardinals just couldn't agree on the price (The Cards didn't want McQuarters at $3M a year). Plus the Bears have the room for a 1,5-2M a year deal that LJ will get.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
BACH said:
:) Good One...

I think he'll end up in Chicago. They wanted LJ and LJ wanted to go there, too. The Bears and Cardinals just couldn't agree on the price (The Cards didn't want McQuarters at $3M a year). Plus the Bears have the room for a 1,5-2M a year deal that LJ will get.

da Bears already signed Fred Miller from Tennessee. Tennessee has 0 cap space. I doubt they could afford 1 million.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
The teams right now that can afford him with a minimum 1 mill cap hit and still be able to sign their rookies without cutting anyone are:

Minnesota Vikings
Houston Texans
Philadelphia Eagles
Dallas Cowboys
San Diego Chargers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Cleveland Browns
Baltimore Ravens
Indianapolis Colts
Miami Dolphins
Cincinnati Bengals
Chicago Bears

Houston, SD, Cleveland, Miami, and Chicago all the most likely destinations.

Plus dropping Shelton before June 1st not only put the whole hit this year but gave us a pretty good commercial from Shelton to the whole NFL which could help with the NFL's perception of our team. Classy move by both parties and shows there has never been any bad blood between the two sides, they just both felt that the fit was no longer there.

"It's a credit to the Cardinals," Shelton said. "They could have held me to June 1. But they did this, in my opinion, to give me a head start on the second wave of free agency. It just shows how a classy organization they are and I'm thankful for that."

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This

was another "Green" pride mistake.
I think Green is the coach to take us over the hump, but, he's made some bad moves and instead of acknowledging that (in his own head) he plays the "I'm the head coach" card.
Shelton would have been more than a servicable backup at many Oline positions. His team attitude and leadership would have been valuable in itself.
JMO, but, stat wise, position wise, it made more sense to keep him.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score

:raccoon:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
HookemCards said:

Where ever L.J. ends up I think he will do very well. If we are saving money that is great for the Bidwills unless we can use any savings to acquire some other player(s). Just getting rid L.J. does not improve the team unless we can replace him with someone better. I fear we are just saving money to cover last years losses. If a good player or two appear after June 1 I surely hope we use some of our money to further improve the team.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
john h said:
Where ever L.J. ends up I think he will do very well. If we are saving money that is great for the Bidwills unless we can use any savings to acquire some other player(s). Just getting rid L.J. does not improve the team unless we can replace him with someone better. I fear we are just saving money to cover last years losses. If a good player or two appear after June 1 I surely hope we use some of our money to further improve the team.
Could we please stop this nonsense? The move had NOTHING to do with the Bidwills wanting to save money!

CardsGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Cardinals, Shelton finally part ways

Cardinals, Shelton finally part ways

By Darren Urban, Tribune

L.J. Shelton was never going to be an Arizona Cardinal for the 2005 season.

The veteran offensive tackle said the right things, implying he would stick it out.

The Cardinals made the same kind of comments, whether it was coach Dennis Green or vice president of football operations Rod Graves.

But the inevitable was coming, with Shelton in Green’s version of a doghouse for more than a year. Reality finally arrived Wednesday, when the Cardinals released Shelton.

"I really believe everything happens for a reason," Shelton said, when
reached by phone Wednesday afternoon. "I have learned from this and I am a better player because of it."

The Cardinals also cut tight end Lorenzo Diamond, who disappointed Green so much last season he fell from second-string to the practice squad by the end of the season.

The team had tried to trade Shelton throughout the offseason, including the much-publicized swap for Buffalo running back Travis Henry. Graves said that after the prime trading time of the draft passed, the Cardinals decided to wait until after teams had minicamps to see if Shelton looked any more attractive to the rest of the league.

When no teams expressed interest, "there was really no reason for us to keep him any longer," Graves said.

"We are disappointed things didn’t work out for us long term," Graves said. "We recognized that, made a decision and we move on."

By dumping Shelton before June 1, the Cards absorb all of the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus from his 2003 contract extension, about $3.3 million. If the team had waited until June, they could have pushed about $2.5 million of that onto the 2006 salary cap.

The Cardinals now have around $6.5 million in cap space remaining. The team must put $4.3 million of that toward its seven drafted rookies.

"Cap considerations have never been an issue for us," Graves said. "We would take a cap hit either way and neither one of those would drive a decision."

Shelton said the "phone has been ringing off the hook" since he was cut, although he declined to name which teams were interested.

Whatever happens, Shelton believes he is "definitely" still worthy of starting.

"A lot of teams have their lineups set or at least think they have their lineups set," Shelton said. "I know I am going to have to work at it."

Green had considered cutting Shelton last season before money considerations put a stop to that. Admittedly out of shape before offseason workouts last year, Shelton was also coming off ankle and elbow surgeries.

Still, Green was not happy. Green also wanted to move Leonard Davis from guard to left tackle, sending an upset Shelton to the bench.

The relationship never got much better, even after Shelton finally cracked the starting lineup as a guard five games into the 2004 season. His season ended in December when he suffered a knee sprain.

The 1999 first-round draft pick had received a contract extension in 2003 that paid him more than $10 million since the beginning of that season.

The Cardinals now have cut both their veteran backup tackles, after getting rid of Anthony Clement April 25.

Shelton declined to give his opinion of whether he should have been considered one of the Cardinals’ top five offensive linemen. He insisted he was only taking positives from his time in Arizona.

"I am more than financially stable, my son has college paid for," Shelton said."The Arizona Cardinals are responsible for that."

Contact Darren Urban by email, or phone (480) 898-6525

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pete said:
What happened to Kent Somers?

Hmmmm. ...

This Domingo guy shows up the same time as ************* here.

Co-in-ki-dink?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pete said:
What happened to Kent Somers?

I don't know, but it's refreshing to have a guy just write about football stuff. Somers is so jaded about the Cards, every article has to have some sort of negative comment about the teams past in it.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Seems to me that LJ is a TOTAL class act, something that has become more and more rare in Pro Sports these days. Hope he does well........ :thumbup:

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good luck to LJ. Sounds like he was probably going to be a backup here at best. Maybe he'll start and do a good job elsewhere. I don't think not having him will break the Cards. I think we are heading in the right direction with or without LJ.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I don't know, but it's refreshing to have a guy just write about football stuff. Somers is so jaded about the Cards, every article has to have some sort of negative comment about the teams past in it.

I think you must be confusing Somers with Bagnato, who seems to want to bash the Cards no matter what topic he is writing on. I think Somers has been pretty objective over the years. The past decade has been bad for the Cards so he was just telling it like it was.

Hopefully this new guy won't turn into a weenie like the rest of them over there. Can he write editorials too??? :thumbup:

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Metcalf Rules said:
Good luck to LJ. Sounds like he was probably going to be a backup here at best. Maybe he'll start and do a good job elsewhere. I don't think not having him will break the Cards. I think we are heading in the right direction with or without LJ.

I think all Card fans wish LJ the best. He deserves a chance to be a LT again and the Cards did him a favor by giving him a head start towards that goal.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad for LJ. He is a true class act. It's a shame things didn't work out here for him but I think he will get a better chance to start somewhere new.

Obviously no team was willing to give up anything of value for him. I'm glad the Cards are taking their lumps this year and not spreading out the hit. That way when we move into the new stadium we can make a serious push for the superbowl.

DKCards

Reaction score
john h said:

This wasn’t about saving the Bidwills money but it was the opposite. Right or wrong Green had decided that LJ was not going to be a major part of this team. By cutting him now they put the cap hit against this years cap and did not push it off until next year. To me it is another sign that the Cards are doing things right. That came to the conclusion that LJ was not going to help and they ate that $3 million to be in just a little better position next year cap wise. If it was about saving the Bidwills money they would not have cut him. They would have started him because they were spending $3 mil plus on him regardless of his contribution to the team.

I wish LJ the best. He was a class act the whole time this was going down.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Everyone should know my feelings about the cap and this Shelton issue, so I'll skip that.

But, Bach, the new guy is correct.

Whoever this new guy is - He doesn't understand the cap. $3.3M would have been correct if the Cards hadn't used exiting cap space to extent him - they did...

AND releasing a player after June 1 would have split the $3.3M hit, not divided it into a 800,000 and 2,5M hit.

Salary Cap 101 :

Cutting a player after June 1st does NOT split the cap hit. If Shelton has 4 years of prorated signing bonus money outstanding and is cut after June 1st, ONLY 2005 prorated portion would count for this year, the remaining 3 years accelerates into 2006. If a player had a 5 year $1M contract, his prorated signing bonus is $200K per year. If he's cut before June 1st all of his uncounted prorated signing bonus hits that year. If he's cut after, only $200K for the current year counts. Make sense?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pete said:
I think you must be confusing Somers with Bagnato, who seems to want to bash the Cards no matter what topic he is writing on. I think Somers has been pretty objective over the years. The past decade has been bad for the Cards so he was just telling it like it was.

Hopefully this new guy won't turn into a weenie like the rest of them over there. Can he write editorials too??? :thumbup:

Oh, Somers is nothing like Bagnato or Tyers. Guys who bag on the team several times in every article they write. But, he does seem to feel compelled to point out things like Kendall, or the McCown benching, draft mistakes, etc, in articles where it doesn't directly pertain. I can't really blame him for being cynical, but he's not that objective any more. For example, he was all over the radio a few months ago saying that the Cards would not be successful in free agency because guys wouldn't want to play for Green or the Cards franchise.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
was another "Green" pride mistake.
I think Green is the coach to take us over the hump, but, he's made some bad moves and instead of acknowledging that (in his own head) he plays the "I'm the head coach" card.
Shelton would have been more than a servicable backup at many Oline positions. His team attitude and leadership would have been valuable in itself.
JMO, but, stat wise, position wise, it made more sense to keep him.

what leadership are you talking about? And what attitude? Sorry Dvl - I never saw either one of those attributes by anyone on a constantly underachieveing O-line throughout the years.

I think this was amatter of - this guy's not buying in - he costs a ton - he's never been part of success - adios amigo!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson