What is the possible downside of signing Emmitt Smith?

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we sign him and he turns out to stink, we sit him on the bench and play Shipp until the earliest convenient chance to cut him.

As far as the "money better spent elsewhere" theory, the free agent pickins are pretty slim right now, and besides we have more than enough cap space to sign Smith and any number of other players. Signing Smith in no way prohibits the signing of any other player on the market.

Seriously, this isn't a big deal. If he blows, cut him. The cap hit will be minimal unless we pay him some ungodly huge bonus.

Big_Red_One

Rookie
Reaction score
The only downside is this will cut into Shipp's development.

Young, promising back who needs carries just extended before the end of the season. Not gonna get the carries if Smith comes here.:(

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Given the fact that we do have more cap room left, I'm beginning to soften a little on Smith. He couldn't hurt.

What he could help with is other free agents, especially after June 1, when I think we're going to be busy.

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a little carrying time would be worth what Smith could pass on to Shipp?

I mean the guy has to have loads of information that could help a young back develop.

The only other downside would be if we sacrifice something else to get Smith.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It isn't that I am dead set against his signing...in fact I am rather indifferent about it. I just don't see the point when I, personally, am comfortable with Shipp Anderson and Scobey. Maybe I am being too positive about them but I think Shipp and Anderson in particular are going to continue to develop nicely and I just hate to see that development stymied in any way.

Again, don't care one way or the other in the grand scheme. I just don't see the point.

pinnacle

Reaction score
I always thought a big benefit to emmit is as a recruitement tool...how can a mid level guy like holliday (example) say he is not coming here (even if we have more $$ on table)..when the leading rusher and one of the biggest stars in the league just came here on his own free will..sit emmitt down with the free agents we really want...if it is good enough for him - it is good enough for them..

but..in order to have a benefit - we could use him sooner as opposed to later.

Cardinator

Reaction score
I think most of the anti Emmitt sentiment is based on the "Plummer" scenario. They are scared no matter how bad Emmitt plays he will start because he is Emmitt. I welcome him as long as we have true competition at the position.

ds512az

All Star
Reaction score
I think Jeff meant that the felon fans would start to come here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't know why you think that any FA would care that Emmitt is here. There's no evidence of any of that ever happening anywhere else. Look at all the premire FAs that ran to Dallas during his tenure.

Reaction score
Cardinator nailed it:

I think most of the anti Emmitt sentiment is based on the "Plummer" scenario. They are scared no matter how bad Emmitt plays he will start because he is Emmitt. I welcome him as long as we have true competition at the position.

I am afraid, that because he is earning 3million a year and Bidwill believes that Emmitt needs to be on the field the put butts in the seats, that Marcel Shipp will not get fair consideration to be the No. 1 back!

This could turn to crap in a hurry!:(

OP
OP
E

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Cardinator nailed it:

Originally posted by CardLogic
I am afraid, that because he is earning 3million a year and Bidwill believes that Emmitt needs to be on the field the put butts in the seats, that Marcel Shipp will not get fair consideration to be the No. 1 back!

This could turn to crap in a hurry!:(

Thomas Jones made more last year and they didn't hesitate to yank his carries away in favor of Shipp.

Cardinator

Reaction score
I could be wrong Ed, because this is just from memory, but didn't Thomas Jones take himself out with an injured ankle?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Re: Re: Cardinator nailed it:

Originally posted by Ed B
Thomas Jones made more last year and they didn't hesitate to yank his carries away in favor of Shipp.

That can't be right. Guy was a rookie, and his cap number next year is something like $800K. Vet QBs make $3 mil. Rookies don't. I guarantee that DB made less than $3 mil last year, in the last year if his contract.

Reaction score
kerouac9: That can't be right. Guy was a rookie, and his cap number next year is something like $800K. Vet QBs make $3 mil. Rookies don't. I guarantee that DB made less than $3 mil last year, in the last year if his contract.

HUH???

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Then I misunderstood. I thought he was saying that TJ made more than $3 mil last year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Shane H has an opinion on this topic? I wonder what it could be? :D

X-29Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
IMHO

I don't see a lot of upside in signing Smith.

Smith is definitely on the downside of his career. With 16 game seasons, rushing for 1000 yards is not the barometer it once was for a running back. Yards per carry are the barometer IMO. Smith averaged 3.8 per carry last season. The year before, he averaged 3.9 per carry. On the other hand, behind the same line, Hambrick averaged 4.0 last year and 5.1 per carry the year before. Is Hambrick "all that"? I don't think so. But, I think that these numbers are an indication that a "spare" running back can put up as good or better numbers than Smith, behind the same line, at this point of his career.

I don't think that other players would want to come to AZ because the Cards signed Smith. Granted, after those players are "has-beens" and want to draw a pay-check. Yes. But, not in their prime. I think many of those free-agents would be more impressed had the Cards found ways to keep Jamir, Aeneus, Rice, and Boston in the fold.

Also, if the Cards don't address their receiving positions, their offense will be facing "8 men in the box" more frequently than not, and no back will be gaining yards. Get some receivers.

I would rather the dollars be spent on areas of serious need. Bottom line, that IMO, the downside is unnecessarily over-spending for a player that is past his prime. I don't care how much cap room the Cards have. IMO, this is the time to work the phones to try to acquire players via trade, or hold onto those cap dollars and see if their are any bargains after June 1st. If I am not mistaken, in both cases, players can be had for their salary, with no signing bonus effect to the cap of the team receiving the rights to that player. IMO, there is never a good reason to waste cap dollars. And, IMO, overpaying Smith is wasting cap dollars.

For near the minimum, I would not mind seeing Smith in a Cards uniform. Like was mentioned earlier, if he stinks it up, cut him. But, if Smith is given a good size signing bonus (hope not), releasing him will be a more difficult decision.

Much more dollars that the minimum reeks of "PR".

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
I wonder if Shane H has an opinion on this topic? I wonder what it could be? :D

I'll saty out of this everyone knows how I feel??? :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads