2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I wish the media would switch to proposing all these humongous trades for the Lakers.
That's just called a normal sports day. Just like all year hear about are Dallas Cowboys during the NFL season. When have they done anything lately?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Mark Bryant may follow Monty to Detroit. It makes me wonder if a new coach might help Ayton.

Jarrett Jack could possibly be another casualty.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I am all for sending Bryant to Detroit. I'll help carry his suitcases to the check in at Sky Harbor! I have been wanting a new big man coach here for 4 years now!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just called a normal sports day. Just like all year hear about are Dallas Cowboys during the NFL season. When have they done anything lately?

I'm used to the Suns mostly getting a pass. After the addition of Kevin Durant, the Suns are in the media crosshairs.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it really shows how having two superstars on the same team changes the media coverage.

It's kind of crazy.

Here is a whole segment on how James Harden is going to join us after we waive CP3 What?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
We don't know much about this new owner... but I would not be surprised to see him do this.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
CP3’s full cap hit if guaranteed next year is $31m…

Clippers cap hits next season:
Gordon - $20m
Powell - $18m
Morris - $17m
Covington - $12m
Batum - $11m
Mann - $10m
Hyland - $3m

3 for 1 deal? I doubt Mann or Powell would be on the table though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They barely even play Morris, except against us. I'm sure they would want him win the package to us. Gordon to me is the same as Paul.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3’s full cap hit if guaranteed next year is $31m…

Clippers cap hits next season:
Gordon - $20m
Powell - $18m
Morris - $17m
Covington - $12m
Batum - $11m
Mann - $10m
Hyland - $3m

3 for 1 deal? I doubt Mann or Powell would be on the table though.

If the Suns can get Bones Hyland included then we can talk turkey.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see why the Lakers or Clippers would trade for Paul. Those are the obvious top candidates to sign him, basically for free, if the Suns release him. Them giving up anything of value for the right to pay Paul 30 million dollars just doesn't make sense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about the report the Suns were waiving Paul, the more I believe Paul's team leaked it. It puts pressure on the Suns to do something soon.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about the report the Suns were waiving Paul, the more I believe Paul's team leaked it. It puts pressure on the Suns to do something soon.

I have no problem with it. The early announcement may help create a trade opportunity, although I'm not counting on it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's been established. Chris Haynes said that is where he got his info. He said Paul's team walked away with the impression the Suns were waiving him since other options likely were not viable. The reality is they told him they would explore all opportunities but if it came down to it they would waive him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's been established. Chris Haynes said that is where he got his info. He said Paul's team walked away with the impression the Suns were waiving him since other options likely were not viable. The reality is they told him they would explore all opportunities but if it came down to it they would waive him.

I know Paul's people came out and said they want the Suns to make a move sooner rather than later regarding waiving him but that's all. Of course they want a decision sooner but the idea he was waived is what I believe his people pushed out there to sort of make something happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones made some comments to Duane Rankin. See below.

Actually, this is how I thought the Suns were building the team until the 2019 and 2020 drafts although the talk about skeletons didn't help either.

By Duane Rankin, Arizona Republic:

Jones also talked about possibly getting back into the draft in looking at roster construction. The Suns currently have just a second-round pick (52nd overall) in the June 22 draft.

"I want to do it all," Jones said. "I think a lot of times people think there's only one way to do it. Would love to get into the draft and find a player you can develop and get into free agency and acquire a player who can grow with you and get into the trade market and trade for a player that can help you. You want to touch it on all levels and that's exciting part and it's the necessary part if you want to have sustained success."

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
James Jones made some comments to Duane Rankin. See below.

Actually, this is how I thought the Suns were building the team until the 2019 and 2020 drafts although the talk about skeletons didn't help either.

By Duane Rankin, Arizona Republic:

Jones also talked about possibly getting back into the draft in looking at roster construction. The Suns currently have just a second-round pick (52nd overall) in the June 22 draft.

"I want to do it all," Jones said. "I think a lot of times people think there's only one way to do it. Would love to get into the draft and find a player you can develop and get into free agency and acquire a player who can grow with you and get into the trade market and trade for a player that can help you. You want to touch it on all levels and that's exciting part and it's the necessary part if you want to have sustained success."

With the new rules we won't be able to sign a bunch of top dollar players - billionaire be damned - so now drafting becomes even more important - - sounds like they may be dangling Ayton as trade bait

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the new rules we won't be able to sign a bunch of top dollar players - billionaire be damned - so now drafting becomes even more important - - sounds like they may be dangling Ayton as trade bait
I think they are dangling him, but they won't trade him unless the return is high enough.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is about all the trade bait the Suns have unless Chris Paul is miraculously traded. I hope some team is selling 2nd round picks.

What bothers me in regard to the above comments, what were Ayton, Bridges, Cam Johnson and Jalen Smith.

Also, where are those 1st round picks.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Paul's people came out and said they want the Suns to make a move sooner rather than later regarding waiving him but that's all. Of course they want a decision sooner but the idea he was waived is what I believe his people pushed out there to sort of make something happen.
On 98.7 they said that Chris Haynes clarified that Paul’s people came away with the impression he was getting waived. Not sure where they go that but that’s what they said.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On 98.7 they said that Chris Haynes clarified that Paul’s people came away with the impression he was getting waived. Not sure where they go that but that’s what they said.

Chris Haynes was played. Like I said, Paul's people pushed it out there to force the Suns hand so he gets his wish of a decision being made well before June 28th.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Haynes was played. Like I said, Paul's people pushed it out there to force the Suns hand so he gets his wish of a decision being made well before June 28th.
I don’t get why they would think it would force the Sun’s hand. It makes no sense for the Suns to do it now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t get why they would think it would force the Sun’s hand. It makes no sense for the Suns to do it now.

Look at what its done, all the talking heads are now throwing out CP3 trades. It's helping Paul's camp because they wanted a decision sooner than later. It's like a when a player demands a trade, that doesn't mean the team has to trade them but it takes over the discussion and puts pressure on the front office to make a move. This is akin to that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at what its done, all the talking heads are now throwing out CP3 trades. It's helping Paul's camp because they wanted a decision sooner than later. It's like a when a player demands a trade, that doesn't mean the team has to trade them but it takes over the discussion and puts pressure on the front office to make a move. This is akin to that.
Yeah but that doesn’t force the Suns hand at all. I am pretty sure the Suns are not dumb enough to think it can’t get out. If they really cared they would have waited until closer to the deadline. If anything it helps the them get trade talk going in a situation where waiving him was more likely.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah but that doesn’t force the Suns hand at all. I am pretty sure the Suns are not dumb enough to think it can’t get out. If they really cared they would have waited until closer to the deadline. If anything it helps the them get trade talk going in a situation where waiving him was more likely.
And Paul has zero power here. Nothingburger.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Paul has zero power here. Nothingburger.
Agree. The only reason to waive him now would be for some respect thing. Screw that. We paid him a ton and he went awol in the playoffs. Hold on to him until you 100% exhausted all options.