Gambo

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't Igor an assistant in Orlando briefly? I recall hearing that he coached Elfrid Payton there. Perhaps he doesn't think Elfrid is the sort of player he can mold. I know a lot has been said about working with PG's and helping them develop a jumper but Rubio is the only example of that. Rubio has been a hard worker since he's been in the league. No one can knock his effort so someone taking the time to help him shoot isn't that surprising. I'd like to know of a 2nd player Igor has helped develop a shot though before we start saying he's the PG miracle worker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm high on Igor as the coach but expecting him to take a garbage shooter and turn them in a solid shooter is asking a lot, especially when that player has spent a few years in the league and they haven't even shown an ability to improve anything.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will pass on Changing Frye. The funny thing, I think he was underrated as a player, but I did not think he was worth the money the Magic payed him.

The Suns have too much dead wood already in Dudley and a player past his prime in Chandler.

I will leave the decision about Rondo to the Suns front office. Unless he has changed, it sounds a bit risky.

Understandable. I'm only behind the idea of bringing him in for a few scenarios. If we bring a headcase like Rondo in, that's one of the reasons I'd want him brought back. No more than a minimum deal though, perhaps a little more but just a 1 year deal. Team option for anything beyond 1 year. Mainly as a mentor who can actually play, unlike Dudley. If we trade Dudley or Chandler, look at him to fill the hole as veteran leader also. No more than $3 million a year, so just a little more than a team's bi-annual exception.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understandable. I'm only behind the idea of bringing him in for a few scenarios. If we bring a headcase like Rondo in, that's one of the reasons I'd want him brought back. No more than a minimum deal though, perhaps a little more but just a 1 year deal. Team option for anything beyond 1 year. Mainly as a mentor who can actually play, unlike Dudley. If we trade Dudley or Chandler, look at him to fill the hole as veteran leader also. No more than $3 million a year, so just a little more than a team's bi-annual exception.

As I view it, it would tie up too many roster spots in players that may not be that effective in Dudley, Frye, Knight and Chander.

Maybe it makes some sense if the Suns are trying to clear CAP room for the following season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Rodriguez. Suns drafted him in the first rd and traded him to Portland. Same with Rudy the next year.
I thought Rodriguez. I was hopeful for him, but not nearly to the same extent as rondo. I was higher on Rudy.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It was amazing how many good players and draft picks we used to just give away during the D'Antoni era. Not all of them were fantastic by any means, but it would be an impressive list of players for which we literally received nothing - and in some cases, gave away assets along with.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It was amazing how many good players and draft picks we used to just give away during the D'Antoni era. Not all of them were fantastic by any means, but it would be an impressive list of players for which we literally received nothing - and in some cases, gave away assets along with.

Imagine Joe, Iggy, Shawn and Amare with Steve running the show. Probably the most athletic lineup in history. Sigh.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo seems to be getting his groove back recently after seemingly being frozen out after Sarver turned the reins over to JJ.

I doubt he's made any significant connections to Ishbia just yet, but he does have strong historic connections to the following teams/coaches.

GMs and executives:
Ainge/Utah: He was likely the source for Fizdale.
Griffin/NOLA: Obvious connection from his time in Phoenix. Gambo always has a pulse on anything related to NOLA due to this.

Coaches:
Dudley/Dallas: This may also be a source surrounding coaching candidates as you'd imagine Dudley hears a lot and likes to talk. He may be the source for some of this Dallas trade talk that Gambo has hinted at as well.

Outside of his past relationship with Sarver, does anybody recall any of his other sources? I imagine there are a few agents and players/coaches.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Gambo seems to be getting his groove back recently after seemingly being frozen out after Sarver turned the reins over to JJ.

I doubt he's made any significant connections to Ishbia just yet, but he does have strong historic connections to the following teams/coaches.

GMs and executives:
Ainge/Utah: He was likely the souce for Fizdale.
Griffin/NOLA: Obvious connection from his time in Phoenix. Gambo always has a pulse on anything related to NOLA due to this.

Coaches:
Dudley/Dallas: This may also be a source surrounding coaching candidates as you'd imagine Dudley hears a lot and likes to talk. He may be the source for some of this Dallas trade talk that Gambo has hinted at as well.

Outside of his past relationship with Sarver, does anybody recall any of his other sources? I imagine there are a few agents and players/coaches.

He is also SUPER close with Jason Kidd. After Ainge, Kidd is probably his second best big source. Having Dudley on Dallas as well just kinda doubles up on the same team. It would probably be pretty beneficial to Gambo if Dudley (or Kidd) went to another team where he didn’t have a strong source.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo is connected with the Knicks as well. Dude gets crapped on all of the time; but for Suns news, there are few I trust more than him.

Many of his connections are also with players
Totally agree, like him or not he really is tuned in to Suns news with insider information.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GMs and executives:
Ainge/Utah: He was likely the souce for Fizdale.

Coaches:

I think it's someone in James Jone's orbit or even possibly James. There are some things he knows that he doesn't reveal. Whenever you hear Gambo rule something out? It's a great tactic because he is giving bits of info without blowing his source. When he shuts something down? He almost always knows more than he is telling. He has shut down alleged insiders and national guys multiple times over the past year and been right on the nose. Gambo is a knucklehead but he has legit connections.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think it's someone in James Jone's orbit or even possibly James. There are some things he knows that he doesn't reveal. Whenever you hear Gambo rule something out? It's a great tactic because he is giving bits of info without blowing his source. When he shuts something down? He almost always knows more than he is telling. He has shut down alleged insiders and national guys multiple times over the past year and been right on the nose. Gambo is a knucklehead but he has legit connections.
That's why the small PG thing seems legit. There have been guys available, and Gambo keeps repeating we won't bring them in because they are too small, and sure enough, we don't. I just don't see anyone free agent wise, unless there's a trade, we can get as a tall combo/PG.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why the small PG thing seems legit. There have been guys available, and Gambo keeps repeating we won't bring them in because they are too small, and sure enough, we don't. I just don't see anyone free agent wise, unless there's a trade, we can get as a tall combo/PG.

Let's hope the small point guard mentality comes to an end. You go with the best players available. For years, lots of good small guards got passed over in the draft.

I'd start a younger Kyle Lowry.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That small PG talk was prior to the KD trade. I haven't heard anything like that post trade. It's a different team now. I'd put that "avoiding small PG" stuff to bed.