2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There wasn’t a window though. Not as built. I have a feeling they feared Booker would want out minus a huge acquisition.
We hadn't signed Cam Johnson, and it was looking like we wouldn't have been able to. IDK why people don't remember that. That was probably why we had to include Bridges because they only had control of Cam Johnson for this season.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The calculation is very simple:

Downside Chris Paul at $30 million = no es bueno

But Downside Chris Paul at some minimum deal = ???

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like the window is through 2026 as the contracts are lined up now.

You think KD is going to average close to 30 ppg when he's 38 or 39? Contracts don't matter, the window is now. We saw CP3 fall off a cliff at 36-37 so I don't see how a more injury prone KD is somehow healthier in his late 30's.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We hadn't signed Cam Johnson, and it was looking like we wouldn't have been able to. IDK why people don't remember that. That was probably why we had to include Bridges because they only had control of Cam Johnson for this season.

People remember. I remember. A lot of fans remember.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sarver sold, Cam J would have been a restricted free agent. We could match any offer he received. We would have resigned him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you liking this brief window better? The Suns should have kept building on their core players.

They were in the Finals in 2020-21.
They lost 4 straight and had a ton of help to get there. The rest of the West made major moves in the offseason. The Suns peaked with that team and it wasn't going to get any easier. Again, I don't think Book wants to stay minus a huge aquisition. Then what kind of window do you have?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The calculation is very simple:

Downside Chris Paul not available in playoffs at $30 million = no es bueno

But Downside Chris Paul not available in playoffs at some minimum deal =no es bueno

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns were not paying Cam 90 million. Not a chance with our cap situation. Plus you would have had to commit to him being your long term PF. Wasn't happening.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sarver sold, Cam J would have been a restricted free agent. We could match any offer he received. We would have resigned him.
There are articles on AZCentral.com, the AZ Republic, on someone had to go because we couldn't sign Cam J. Yes he would have been restricted, but we wouldn't have been able to match.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They lost 4 straight and had a ton of help to get there. The rest of the West made major moves in the offseason. The Suns peaked with that team and it wasn't going to get any easier. Again, I don't think Book wants to stay minus a huge aquisition. Then what kind of window do you have?

That's what you believe, others believe differently. I'm not sure why we need to go through this whenever anyone say anything to the contrary as far as believing the team we had pre-KD trade was better set for the future. You're making a ton of assumptions to justify the move to yourself and that's fine but others don't agree. Do we need to go round and round again?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are articles on AZCentral.com, the AZ Republic, on someone had to go because we couldn't sign Cam J. Yes he would have been restricted, but we wouldn't have been able to match.

Yes, we could have. If we paid Cam J a deal around 20m a year or less then our total team salary would be with $5m, give or take, of what it is now. It could have happened, it likely would have happened. Ishbia isn't afraid to spend money and we also wouldn't be over the tax apron yet since the new deal for Cam wouldn't be signed yet, so we still could have added pieces.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That's what you believe, others believe differently. I'm not sure why we need to go through this whenever anyone say anything to the contrary as far as believing the team we had pre-KD trade was better set for the future. You're making a ton of assumptions to justify the move to yourself and that's fine but others don't agree. Do we need to go round and round again?
Both sides are making assumptions. Like I said, you can't prove what didn't happen. But some one the side of we had a better team pre KD are forgetting things, like signing Cam J was going to be a big problem.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yes, we could have. If we paid Cam J a deal around 20m a year or less then our total team salary would be with $5m, give or take, of what it is now. It could have happened, it likely would have happened. Ishbia isn't afraid to spend money and we also wouldn't be over the tax apron yet since the new deal for Cam wouldn't be signed yet, so we still could have added pieces.
Again, Ishbia knew that, and decided to include Cam J. You can't change what happened.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way to be hypocritical. I am responding to the SAME THING that has been said a million times. So, it’s OK to repeat the same stuff over and over as long as it’s your view but not OK to respond to it.

Uh..OK.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way to be hypocritical. I am responding to the SAME THING that has been said a million times. So, it’s OK to repeat the same stuff over and over which is also speculation yet the team has regressed every year since but not OK to respond?

Uh..OK.

Last season, the Suns regressed. It's not a coincidence.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Channel 15 is now saying, Suns met with CP3's representation to discuss ALL options. If the Suns are going to waive him, CP3's agents want the move made sooner than later.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, Ishbia knew that, and decided to include Cam J. You can't change what happened.

Yes. You can't change what has already happened. This is what is frustrating to many fans.

It's all right to have a difference in opinion but the proof is in the pudding.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I wouldn't have included Bridges in a trade for Durant.
It's a moot point obviously. Not saying you are wrong. Just, IDK how we were going forward with CP3 and Booker as our two stars. No matter what back up we had.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Channel 15 is now saying, Suns met with CP3's representation to discuss ALL options. If the Suns are going to waive him, CP3's agents want the move made sooner than later.
They can wish that but he Suns have no reason to meet that demand. None. It doesn’t make sense for the Suns to do it now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There is absolutely zero reason to think we wouldn't have been able to resign Cam. Nothing in the CBA prevents it and even with an extended Cam our cap figure would be lower than it is now after the trade.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a moot point obviously. Not saying you are wrong. Just, IDK how we were going forward with CP3 and Booker as our two stars. No matter what back up we had.
Yep. Paul was hurt again. Even no trade same result. Then Cam J would have been your long term PF at 90 million. What a disaster that would have been. The regression of this team was also proof in the pudding.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yes. You can't change what has already happened. This is what is frustrating to many fans.

It's all right to have a difference in opinion but the proof is in the pudding.
It's just people keep talking about what could have been, and not moving onto what is. I know I was pissed about that Finals we lost to the Bulls. There's a LOT of should have beens in that series. Doesn't change what happened.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose