2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Collins was ready to go from the moment he realized he was becoming a Cardinal.

“Steve, we’re gonna f–king kill everyone,” Collins told G.M. Steve Keim.
“We’re gonna kill everyone. . . . We’re gonna get a Super Bowl ring so f–king big on our finger that show dogs wouldn’t be able to jump over it.”

:grabs:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts 7 games in?

He's played 100% of the snaps in 5 of 7 games.

He projects to have about 115 tackles, 5 sacks, 9 TFL and 2 to 3 force fumbles. Those would be nearly identical to Hicks last year.
You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Thoughts 7 games in?

He projects to have about 115 tackles, 5 sacks, 9 TFL and 2 to 3 force fumbles. Those would be nearly identical to Hicks last year.

He's young and will only get better. He isn't near his ceiling yet.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thoughts 7 games in?

Young Hicks with far more to go.

Getting better every game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I really hope this works out.
If we talk about players filling roles similar to what they did in college, Collins playing outside fits. Playing outside in a 3-3 is more akin to playing outside in a 3-4 or a DE in a 4-3 than ILB. Not saying it will make him significantly "better" player but he should look like less of a fish out of water.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we talk about players filling roles similar to what they did in college, Collins playing outside fits. Playing outside in a 3-3 is more akin to playing outside in a 3-4 or a DE in a 4-3 than ILB. Not saying it will make him significantly "better" player but he should look like less of a fish out of water.
I am a big Collins believer, I'm excited to see him on the outside.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Always should have been an OLB as I said back at the start of this thread.

Collins is 6'5". 260lbs. 34" arms. Runs 4.66. That's OLB traits.

I don't think he will be there all the time. People had Simmons playing the Reddick role which was a mixture of positions. I think that will be Collins. I think Collins will play the Sam backer a bunch. Sometimes off the ball, but mostly not.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they are moving Collins to where a lot of us think that Simmons should be. Hmm.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think Simmons would be a terrible pass rusher, he might be the worst player on the team at shedding blocks.
probably better at blitzing, but not a true edge guy

i think he will be a safety, and i think Jalen Thompson is likely a slot corner, with Budda as the third safety

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Simmons would be a terrible pass rusher, he might be the worst player on the team at shedding blocks.

Yup. The whole Simmons to Edge thing baffles me. One of the reason's he's sucked at LB is because he can't get off blocks and he can't process quick enough.

So let's move him nearer the ball where he has less processing time and always has to get off blocks. Makes sense...

The fact this new staff has come in, watched Simmons tape and thought "This guy needs to move away from the ball" gives me confidence in this staff.

It was always apparent from his college tape he was a safety. Zero instincts to play in the box. If he's down in the box you need to give him 1 specific job to do that requires no thought.

At this stage I think it's more likely he busts out of the league within the next few years than ever makes a good player. All athletic traits and no natural feel for the game.

However he's used it has to be facing the ball. He's shocking with his back to it.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member