Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the cap- yes. Over the luxury tax threshold- no. Waiving and stretching Paul would give them bigger mid-level exception and the other bi-annual exception. That said, I do agree that the Suns can't rely on CP3. I also don't know of a way to have CP3 on the roster not at his current salary. Windhorst claims that there is, and I would guess he knows more than I do, but he provided no specifics.

FWIW,

Flex has been saying for a long time the Suns were going to pay Chris Paul $30 million. This is one thing he has been very consistent about.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
SORRY
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Says CP3 is staying and there are 5 or 6 teams with packages for DA?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like we are going on a spending binge for asst coaches. Might make us more intriguing for players.
The Suns didn't like spending a ton of money on coaches/assistents. I remember Sarver saying one time on an interview he would prefer up and coming coaches who feel like they have something to prove. Sounds like Ishbia is taking a different approach and willing to pay what it takes to get coaches/assistants in here.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns are hiring Jazz associate GM David Fizdale as an assistant coach.

Take that for data!

Atleast one of these guys will speak up for us now, instead of "doing things the right way".

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW,

Flex has been saying for a long time the Suns were going to pay Chris Paul $30 million. This is one thing he has been very consistent about.
It's been widely known that unless they cut him him that by 6/28 he would get the full 30.8 million guaranteed. If they do, they are still on the hook for half that. What is interesting is I have also heard Gambo say consistently that the Suns DON'T want to pay Chris the 30 million and mentioned the waive and stretch.

It's not going out on a limb to say the Suns are not going to do anything that leaves them without a PG. So, they may not have a choice but it sure sounds like give the choice they wouldn't pay him the $30 million. Vogel might feel differently about a ton of things though including what to do with the roster. It should be interesting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been widely known that unless they cut him him that by 6/28 he would get the full 30.8 million guaranteed. If they do, they are still on the hook for half that. What is interesting is I have also heard Gambo say consistently that the Suns DON'T want to pay Chris the 30 million and mentioned the waive and stretch.

It's not going out on a limb to say the Suns are not going to do anything that leave them without a PG. So, they may not have a choice.

There are a of different stories being floated around by the media. My guess is they pay him.

There may be positive trade and balance sheet implications going forward if they keep him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are shelling out big money for assistants. I'd like to apply for a job... maybe a computer scout.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Stretching or cutting Paul and re-signing him does nothing in terms of signing other players. We’re over the cap with or without him.

Also relying on CP3 going into another postseason would be asinine whether his responsibility load is lighter or not.
Windhorst on the video does say it's not stretching him. Like you say. He's very vague, but there seems to be an option that hasn't been talking about because it's not waiving him either.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a of different stories being floated around by the media. My guess is they pay him.

There may be positive trade and balance sheet implications going forward if they keep him.
I don't see what choice they have if they can't replace him. The thought of going to war with Payne as our primary PG or making Book becoming full time point book makes me cringe.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Speaking of the Vogel hire, anyone here get any news about his press conference? Are season ticket holders getting to attend like the KD one?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see what choice they have if they can't replace him. The thought of going to war with Payne as our primary PG or making Book becoming full time point book makes me cringe.

The Suns might look at other point guard options in free agency, obviously without the big name and resume.

Thirty million dollars is a lot to pay a for a player who is on the downside of his career and has a history of injury. Still, I think the Suns will bring him back.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns might look at other point guard options in free agency, obviously without the big name and resume.

Thirty million dollars is a lot to pay a for a player who is on the downside of his career and has a history of injury. Still, I think the Suns will bring him back.
I don't see the Suns going for a PG who would likely be at the same level as Payne and rolling the dice on that. I think they would rather take their chances with Paul even if they don't want to pay that contract.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think, no matter what type of PG they bring in, they should go for guys that are playoff tested. Maybe not the top line guys, but guys who proved they can be reliable in the playoffs. I think Vogel would have ideas on that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the Suns going for a PG who would likely be at the same level as Payne and rolling the dice on that. I think they would rather take their chances with Paul even if they don't want to pay that contract.

That's a lot of money but I think the Suns are looking for other ways to use his $30 million contract.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ishbia wants a championship and will pay the bucks to get it done. You can see that with the coaching staff changes that have happened. It is going to be a very exciting off season as the Suns need to make many changes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ishbia wants a championship and will pay the bucks to get it done. You can see that with the coaching staff changes that have happened. It is going to be a very exciting off season as the Suns need to make many changes.

The Suns will have the best coached G-League players money can buy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will have the best coached G-League players money can buy.
A little depressing but I agree. On the plus side, look at what Miami has done with similar level players. If we're patient and if we're proactive at the right time, with an owner determined to win and willing to spend towards that goal, we could shorten our rebuild considerably.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But so will the rest of the NBA, too!

I think Mat Ishbia is serious about going first class with coaching, scouts and players. It's too bad the CBA has tied his hands.

Any day, I'm expecting he will announce the Suns will be forming a G-League team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think Mat Ishbia is serious about going first class with coaching, scouts and players. It's too bad the CBA has tied his hands.

Any day, I'm expecting he will announce the Suns will be forming a G-League team.
Well if you can't pay for top talent, you pay for top coaches. Gotta coach em up! Get those young, tall, scrappy players and coach em up! :thumbup:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if you can't pay for top talent, you pay for top coaches. Gotta coach em up! Get those young, tall, scrappy players and coach em up! :thumbup:

Let's do the Miami Heat model. I've been wanting that for years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little depressing but I agree. On the plus side, look at what Miami has done with similar level players. If we're patient and if we're proactive at the right time, with an owner determined to win and willing to spend towards that goal, we could shorten our rebuild considerably.

I've always enjoyed watching young talent, at least on the tail end of the roster.

I seriously believe the talent is out there. We just have to find it.

The Nuggets are crowding our window but who knows. We have to believe.