Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I mostly eat chicken and fish. Plus, the occasional filet mignon which is one of the leaner cuts of red meat.
I like to go to BJ's and have a ribeye steak every now and then. Obviously, it's not at all lean but it's delicious and I never do it more than twice a year. My favorite meal is a tossup between shredded beef tacos and spaghetti but I dream about them far more often than I eat them. I eat a Chicken Al Pastor bowl from Chipotle at least once a month but otherwise my normal routine is 2 or 3 ounces of grilled chicken 3 times a week a salmon filet 2 times a week and all my other meals are veggies or pinto beans.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Locked on Suns Podcast brings this up, and said we would have to get him for our MLE, AND beg him by saying how nice it is in PHX, and playing with Book and Durant. Yes I totally agree that with his three point shooting we could spread the floor on offense and he would get great looks.
Not only 3pt shooting, he might be the best C to defend Jokic one-one as both are not that quick. His rim protection is also among the best in NBA. We also could reunite him with his twin Robin here for nice retirement location, 3 years down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Locked on Suns Podcast brings this up, and said we would have to get him for our MLE, AND beg him by saying how nice it is in PHX, and playing with Book and Durant. Yes I totally agree that with his three point shooting we could spread the floor on offense and he would get great looks.

I doubt the Suns are going to get Brook Lopez for the taxpayer MLE. Maybe he would consider the non-taxpayer MLE.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just the fact that I think it's ridiculous that somebody nearly 50 years old isn't old enough to mentor anybody.
I think his point is that a 50 year old doesn’t typically mentor his successor in coaching because a 50 year old isn’t retiring anytime soon. The successor would have to wait 10 or more years if his mentor is successful.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I can totally see that how they structured the salaries. Maybe 2-3 years down the road Young takes over.
But why would a 49 year old coach with a championship to his name knowingly sign on for that duty?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your GUESSES are a little out there but you've remarked a few times now about Book wanting Young as HC. Is that based on anything substantive or just a guess? I know they had a good relationship but so did Monty and Booker so I wouldn't read much into it. Just curious where that's coming from.
Gambo reported this and it was repeated on national radio immediately after the search began. Not sure where some posters got it from but it was reported from jump that Booker liked Young for the job.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Was Kevin Young the Ferrari?

If so then it sounds like we have a Honda Accord to get us to work Monday through Thursday and a Ferrari for Friday and the weekend lol.

Sounds like a perfect match to me.. Can't drive the GTR to work every day.. thats why I have the Prius lol.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I see. I was talking about mentoring his replacement, as in, Young would take over in a year or two. Kind of like Cotton and Westphal.

This would be the ideal scenario. However, I'm not sure how the Suns would go about structuring the contracts.

Maybe options could be built into the contracts?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be the ideal scenario. However, I'm not sure how the Suns would go about structuring the contracts.

Maybe options could be built into the contracts?
I think there's been a misunderstanding here. I wasn't suggesting they'd done that, I was saying it's unlikely because that kind of situation usually involves a much older coach. I'd be okay if it happened. I just doubt that Vogel is at that stage in his career where he'd willingly take a job that by design came with an even shorter than usual shelf life.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's been a misunderstanding here. I wasn't suggesting they'd done that, I was saying it's unlikely because that kind of situation usually involves a much older coach. I'd be okay if it happened. I just doubt that Vogel is at that stage in his career where he'd willingly take a job that by design came with an even shorter than usual shelf life.

I understand. These were my thoughts.

There does seem to be some effort by the Suns to have their cake and eat it too by hiring Frank Vogel as the head coach and paying Kevin Young $2 million a season to be the associate head coach. They clearly want to keep him.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If the Suns really do very well under Vogel, like win the NBA or at least get to the finals, Young will be a hot name around the league for any openings.
If Young's offense is top notch he will be a hot name regardless - but it sure would be nice to make the Finals again

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I posted a link earlier to a podcast with a Lakers podcaster who says the sentiment of the Laker fans is that Vogel needs an offensive minded coach to compliment his defensive acumen. So the Suns have achieved what Laker fans wanted by pairing Vogel with an offense minded assistant.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Young's offense is top notch he will be a hot name regardless - but it sure would be nice to make the Finals again
You would think that teams would jump at the chance to hire him away from us. Having said that, rumor is they made him the highest paid assistant so maybe that was necessary to prevent him from jumping to another opportunity.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Windhorst: "CP3 will be a sun, not at $30 million, and he says they have other options than stretching him. Ayton will be on the Suns, and thinks Vogel got the job on how he would handle Ayton."

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Windhorst: "CP3 will be a sun, not at $30 million, and he says they have other options than stretching him. Ayton will be on the Suns, and thinks Vogel got the job on how he would handle Ayton."
Little discouraged, not sure how you’re gonna fill out a roster if you keep DA and Paul. DA is what he is at this point I don’t think a different coach is all of a sudden gonna make him aggressive and not lazy and lackadaisical! I hope I’m wrong but just running back the same team seems… we’ll just stupid at this point! We need gaurd depth and bigs that actually play big!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Little discouraged, not sure how you’re gonna fill out a roster if you keep DA and Paul. DA is what he is at this point I don’t think a different coach is all of a sudden gonna make him aggressive and not lazy and lackadaisical! I hope I’m wrong but just running back the same team seems… we’ll just stupid at this point! We need gaurd depth and bigs that actually play big!
I am thinking Windhorst brought up not paying Paul $30 million to add to their ability to bring guys in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose