Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What was the time span between the Vogel and Young hirings?

We know they hired Vogel first but who did they tell first? Book or Young?

My guesses:

1) Hired Vogel, told him to pick his staff (like normal)

2) Young hears of the hiring, he knows he's assed out

3) Book hears of the hiring, talks to JJ and says something like "I thought we were going with Young"

4) Book is told Ishbia wanted defense and championship experience instead

5) Book doubles down and says something like "but me and KD wanted Young"

6) JJ proposes to Ishbia they keep Young around, but mentions it will be harder to do

7) I think JJ calls Young and I think Ishbia calls Vogel (or their agents)

8) I think both Young and Vogel had hesitations - so some type of meeting of the minds took place - on the fly

9) An agreement was reached, not sure what (if anything) extra they gave Vogel but they gave Young a lot of freakin money

10) They all agreed (JJ, Ishbia, Booker, KD, Vogel, Young) to get rid of Ayton asap :)

I think your GUESSES are a little out there but you've remarked a few times now about Book wanting Young as HC. Is that based on anything substantive or just a guess? I know they had a good relationship but so did Monty and Booker so I wouldn't read much into it. Just curious where that's coming from.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I said they were speculation. Instead of losing your mind wouldn’t it have been simpler to just say, “Yep.”?
Never lost my mind, you're just making up more BS lol

Nothing better to do on your Sunday? Why are you so angry Chap?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your GUESSES are a little out there but you've remarked a few times now about Book wanting Young as HC. Is that based on anything substantive or just a guess? I know they had a good relationship but so did Monty and Booker so I wouldn't read much into it. Just curious where that's coming from.
Maybe from me, I know I've mentioned it a few times too. Actually I thought it was pretty well established but maybe it's just everybody reading between the lines of all the reports that mentioned how much Booker likes Young.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I've read somewhere Young was most responsible for the new offense after we got KD, and Booker thrived in the new offense

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I said a post was speculating (which it was) and he replies with passive aggressive name calling. And I’M the one making it personal?
Lmao sounds like you are arguing they were speculations and not guesses? Tom Petty much??

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mexican food IS better. Better than Cajun food, better than Italian food, better than sex - it's just better. Okay, I might buy an argument on the last two items.

If you're eating in a restaurant just make sure you skip or go lightly on the chips and salsa. Also, I'd order ala carte unless they have healthily prepared vegetables to replace the rice and beans. A couple of carne asada or grilled chicken tacos are filling and not too bad for you. Or better yet, make some delicious grilled tacos at home so you can control the sodium and the calories. And if you're going meatless, grilled portabello mushroom tacos can be every bit as tasty as the meaty choices.

Yes, Mexican food wins in my book as well, except for the sex. :)

One of my favorite things is eating a shredded beef burrito enchilada style and putting chips under the salsa and beans to soften them up. They are fantastic that way. I can only guess how bad they are for your health.

I do love good salsa with cilantro.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Mexican food IS better. Better than Cajun food, better than Italian food, better than sex - it's just better. Okay, I might buy an argument on the last two items.

If you're eating in a restaurant just make sure you skip or go lightly on the chips and salsa. Also, I'd order ala carte unless they have healthily prepared vegetables to replace the rice and beans. A couple of carne asada or grilled chicken tacos are filling and not too bad for you. Or better yet, make some delicious grilled tacos at home so you can control the sodium and the calories. And if you're going meatless, grilled portabello mushroom tacos can be every bit as tasty as the meaty choices.
Agree with everything except the meatless tacos lol that's so gross

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solid hire! I loved his Indiana teams back in the day. He will take care of the defense for sure. On offense, he is obviously used to coaching stars, but I am not really sure how good he is when it comes to offense. He is better than Monty, but I really don't know just how good he is. Not a sexy hire, but a very solid one. I would like to see a great offensive assistant coach next to Vogel.

And you got one in Kevin Young.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with everything except the meatless tacos lol that's so gross
I've had some meatless meals that I found unimpressive (sometimes even inedible) but grilled mushrooms makes this meat eater very happy - especially grilled portabellos. And I never thought I'd say that about any possible meat substitute.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I've had some meatless meals that I found unimpressive (sometimes even inedible) but grilled mushrooms makes this meat eater very happy - especially grilled portabellos. And I never thought I'd say that about any possible meat substitute.
Rock on my man, to be honest I don't eat any mushrooms unless they send me to other dimensions. And I've never eaten a meatless taco unless you count that vegan I dated back in the 90s

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I eat meat in modest proportions but I prefer pizza with lots of vegetables and no meat unless one counts cheese.

If I could have eggs, cheese and milk and it counted as being a vegetarian, I could become one without much effort.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I eat meat in modest proportions but I prefer pizza with lots of vegetables and no meat unless one counts cheese.

If I could have eggs, cheese and milk and it counted as being a vegetarian, I could become one without much effort.

That does count as vegetarian. Vegan it would not.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My son had a Hawaiian themed event recently at his house and he made Hawaiian Barbecue Jackfruit. It was phenomenal. I make a Posole with Soy Curls by Butler Foods that I buy at Natural Grocers. Everyone that has eaten my posole say it's the best ever and that they really like the meat! When I tell them there's no meat, they argue with me. LOL. I make all my food without oil now. A lot of Mexican, Indian, Cajun, etc. just every stage of cooking a recipe starts by adding oil to the pan. Learning to saute with water or broth lowers the calories in a dish big time.

Calorie Density Chart

You can eat a pound of non starchy veggies for 100-150 calories. I lost 80 pounds this year eating foods from the three lowest calorie density foods on the chart and eliminating oil from my diet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Kevin Young a great offensive mind though? I have my doubts. Maybe Monty shut him out but I think his offensive acumen is overrated.

I've heard a lot of people say it but I don't know if it's true.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
My son had a Hawaiian themed event recently at his house and he made Hawaiian Barbecue Jackfruit. It was phenomenal. I make a Posole with Soy Curls by Butler Foods that I buy at Natural Grocers. Everyone that has eaten my posole say it's the best ever and that they really like the meat! When I tell them there's no meat, they argue with me. LOL. I make all my food without oil now. A lot of Mexican, Indian, Cajun, etc. just every stage of cooking a recipe starts by adding oil to the pan. Learning to saute with water or broth lowers the calories in a dish big time.

Calorie Density Chart

You can eat a pound of non starchy veggies for 100-150 calories. I lost 80 pounds this year eating foods from the three lowest calorie density foods on the chart and eliminating oil from my diet.
80 pounds?! I may have to try your chart

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Who ARE you? You are a monster! I love me some well prepared rice and refried beans. Have you never eaten at Comedor Guadalajara? And mushrooms instead of meat?! GROSS!!!