Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KD, Booker and fodder will win 65/75% of the reg season games. Then more of the same in the playoffs, lucky to beat a 2nd round exit.
I'm really worried about how it's possible to fill out this roster? Can the new coach get DA balling by midseason for a trade?
If we keep him then Cp3 has got to go right? Does it really matter that Phoenix is now an NBA players desired destination if we cant pay ANY of them?
I suppose there's no point in guessing all will come out in time.

This is Ishbias chance to become a GOD...if he pulls it off. I honestly don't see the path, maybe he does.

I'm here for it, just gonna sit back and watch and maybe bitch a lil.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hope is that Vogel genuinely wanted him on the staff but who knows. I’m intrigued to see this offense with both Monty and CP3 gone.

Anyway, Vogel gets paid as a head coach for 5 years/ $31 million and Young is a top paid assistant with a chance to be a head coach in waiting.

Bottom line, they both get paid and have job security. Suns can figure out the rest next summer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton has to go now. We don't have time for a midseason trade and trying to build chemistry after replacing half the starting lineup, again, for a playoff push. The window is now. There's no running it back in 2025. It's either going for back to back titles or nothing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the thinking... bundle.

Kevin Young is now the highest paid assistant coach and Frank Vogel's salary is not so much the Suns can't move on down the road if they so choose.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If we're bringing back Devin's offensive guru I'd say it means Devin (and KD for that matter) is happy with how he was both utilized and encouraged to improvise in the post season post trade

I could be off but this tells me the offense isn't getting a complete overall - with DeAndre Ayton in mind - infact I think it means the opposite

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
KD, Booker and fodder will win 65/75% of the reg season games. Then more of the same in the playoffs, lucky to beat a 2nd round exit.
I'm really worried about how it's possible to fill out this roster? Can the new coach get DA balling by midseason for a trade?
If we keep him then Cp3 has got to go right? Does it really matter that Phoenix is now an NBA players desired destination if we cant pay ANY of them?
I suppose there's no point in guessing all will come out in time.

This is Ishbias chance to become a GOD...if he pulls it off. I honestly don't see the path, maybe he does.

I'm here for it, just gonna sit back and watch and maybe bitch a lil.
I just look at it as logic. When Ishbia got here, we had same players and same coaches for last two seasons. Did we win the title? No. Could we win with what we had? They determined no. They decided to go for the best available player to play alongside Booker. Knowing they had to trade Booker's running mates, I am sure they reached out to him about trading for KD or staying put. He got a say. Not saying they are doing what Booker wants. You don't make this move without "some" input from your franchise guy. They went with KD.

End of season, were they happy with results? No. They decided Monty had three bites of the apple in the playoffs and didn't get them the results desired. Keep Monty or go with someone new? They decided go with someone new.

This off season, I wouldn't get comfortable in that chair if I am JJ. He will be graded at the end of next season based on the roster he constructs this off season.

One of the things I heard on the PHX podcast is Vogel is known as someone that works with management, and is a positive person. The Lakers podcast person they brought in said Vogel always said positive things about everyone. They would almost roll their eyes, all the guys covering the Lakers, at just how nice Vogel is. To me that made it sound like he was a Ted Lasso coach, LMAO.

My take is Ishbia keeps saying how he wants the whole organization to move in the same direction. I think that Vogel's interview must have showed Ishbia that Vogel is a team player. The PHX podcast threw out a little nugget saying they heard the coach hire was a joint collaboration with CEO Bartelstein and Ishbia together. Also, you have to think Vogel got approval by JJ, since those two would have to work together.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we're bringing back Devin's offensive guru I'd say it means Devin (and KD for that matter) is happy with how he was both utilized and encouraged to improvise in the post season post trade

I could be off but this tells me the offense isn't getting a complete overall - with DeAndre Ayton in mind - infact I think it means the opposite

I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns keep Ayton, he has some new wrinkles for him.

Stix played exceptionally well under Young.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I don't know if we can get what we want for Ayton. That's my problem with Ayton. I think we are stuck. Ayton hasn't exactly been a top rim protector, and I figure Vogel will want someone more defensive minded as a big. I think if I had to guess, at least two guys of the top five will be defensive first players, if not spots 3-5, meaning KD and Book are the top two players, not saying positions..

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns keep Ayton, he has some new wrinkles for him.

Stix played exceptionally well under Young.
That's also where I am stuck on Ayton, I could see us keeping him another year. I just look at his blocked shots per game, his rebounding getting worse, etc, and I could see moving on. However, I know it's a small thing, but Ayton sets impeccable screens.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's also where I am stuck on Ayton, I could see us keeping him another year. I just look at his blocked shots per game, his rebounding getting worse, etc, and I could see moving on. However, I know it's a small thing, but Ayton sets impeccable screens.

A lot may depend on what the Suns can do with Chris Paul's contract.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I doubt if we keep DA that Vogel will have him guarding ALL the other teams 3pt shooters.
If DA stays I would be shocked if his numbers didn't improve, especially rebounding.
All we need that 7ft dumpster fire to do is rebound anything KD and Book miss and pass it back out.
That seems like something DA can do if he's in the right position, which I cant recall EVER seeing him in under Monte.
It's almost too bad we have to trade his ass, but we really need the parts he could bring.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I doubt if we keep DA that Vogel will have him guarding ALL the other teams 3pt shooters.
If DA stays I would be shocked if his numbers didn't improve, especially rebounding.
All we need that 7ft dumpster fire to do is rebound anything KD and Book miss and pass it back out.
That seems like something DA can do if he's in the right position, which I cant recall EVER seeing him in under Monte.
It's almost too bad we have to trade his ass, but we really need the parts he could bring.
Did you notice how many rebounds KD got because Ayton was out guarding the 3 point line, leaving no one to rebound? I'm not saying that is Ayton's fault. If that is the scheme for defense, that sucks! No wonder teams ate our lunch on the offensive boards!

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
New home for Ayton, Shamet, and Suns get a C & PF. Salaries work. Maybe Detroit's piece changes.

You must be registered for see images attach
I like it but im gonna need Atlantas # 15 pick as well. :p

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't know if we can get what we want for Ayton. That's my problem with Ayton. I think we are stuck. Ayton hasn't exactly been a top rim protector, and I figure Vogel will want someone more defensive minded as a big. I think if I had to guess, at least two guys of the top five will be defensive first players, if not spots 3-5, meaning KD and Book are the top two players, not saying positions..
Of all bigs in the league, Ayton had the third best FG%A/game a couple of seasons ago. It’s all about mutual buy-in. If Ayton and Vogel are on the same page, it’s more likely than not that Ayton will come back motivated to prove people wrong

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did you notice how many rebounds KD got because Ayton was out guarding the 3 point line, leaving no one to rebound? I'm not saying that is Ayton's fault. If that is the scheme for defense, that sucks! No wonder teams ate our lunch on the offensive boards!
I think I got an Ulcer screaming about how he was always out of position. Again maybe not his fault?