New Owner - Mat Ishbia

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
...and?

You and your group keeps repeating this mantra over and over and over and over, and I can't figure out why. Setting yourself up so you can say, "I told you so," in a year? You literally say the same thing in nearly every post. It's maddening.
It is getting old. However, if the Suns win a championship then that is all moot. I guess, if the Suns don't win, people can feel smart it was an overpay. It is getting old repeating that. The deed is done. No take backs. How does the team move forward is the key.

My silver lining, is the new coach is set up with ten free agent contracts, which gives the Suns options on keeping some, or rebuilding a whole new team. The new coach literally can have a blank slate to work with. No moaning about what we don't have. Monty always said, "Everything you want is on the other side of hard."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is getting old. However, if the Suns win a championship then that is all moot. I guess, if the Suns don't win, people can feel smart it was an overpay. It is getting old repeating that. The deed is done. No take backs. How does the team move forward is the key.

My silver lining, is the new coach is set up with ten free agent contracts, which gives the Suns options on keeping some, or rebuilding a whole new team. The new coach literally can have a blank slate to work with. No moaning about what we don't have. Monty always said, "Everything you want is on the other side of hard."
I certainly won't feel smart. I'll mostly feel sorry I was stupid enough to continue investing my time and passion in this team. I honestly never thought there was anything they could do that could kill my passion but I'm close to accepting I was wrong. I'm going to try and hang on for another season to see if they can somehow turn two players into a full team but I don't think I have the patience to go through yet another bottom-dwelling stretch that I suspect is coming in a few years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly won't feel smart. I'll mostly feel sorry I was stupid enough to continue investing my time and passion in this team. I honestly never thought there was anything they could do that could kill my passion but I'm close to accepting I was wrong. I'm going to try and hang on for another season to see if they can somehow turn two players into a full team but I don't think I have the patience to go through yet another bottom-dwelling stretch that I suspect is coming in a few years.

You are not alone. I don't have the time to wait another 50 years.

It's even harder to see the Cardinals go through a likely rebuild at the same time.

Chris Mannix Feb 21, 2023, Sports Illustrated:

Ishbia: I think there is no risk. I don't look at it as a risk at all. I look at it as a vision and a decision. And you go with your decisions and you run with it. It doesn't mean everything's going to work out or that we’re going to win multiple championships and you know it was right. You have to play the games.

However I don't look at it like a risk at all. I know what the vision is. I'm going to own this team for 50 years, so like zero [risk]. I don't need to come in and win in the first year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think including Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Crowder and four unprotected first round picks and a swap qualifies it as a gross overpay.
I consider the Rudy Gobert trade a gross overpay. Before hurting his knee KD was a top-3 player and leading the Nets to a lot of wins. I wouldn’t liked to have seen us go into the postseason with a few more games under his belt. KD is injury prone but the pregame thing was a total fluke. I will judge this trade in another year or two.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I consider the Rudy Gobert trade a gross overpay. Before hurting his knee KD was a top-3 player and leading the Nets to a lot of wins. I wouldn’t liked to have seen us go into the postseason with a few more games under his belt. KD is injury prone but the pregame thing was a total fluke. I will judge this trade in another year or two.

Fair enough, I hope the Kevin Durant trade turns out well because it's all I have to cling too as a lifetime Suns fan.

The trade for Rudy Gobert was an even a further reach and a worse trade IMO, but at least Rudy will be four years younger this coming season.

However, I'd like to see the Suns measured by good trades, not bad.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

10 contracts for the league minimum. That is going to bring in guys like Damien Lee, Josh Okogie, Saben Lee, Ish Wainwright, etc. We can bring 50 of those guys but we aren't winning a title. Every other team in the league can offer the same, as in minimum deals. The Suns aren't a title favorite, they aren't even the favorite to win their division, they aren't attracting a bunch of ring chasers that can contribute on a consistent basis.

We also had a defense first coach and a top defense just 2 years ago. The idea Vogel is going to instill this amazing defense that shuts teams down isn't happening without proper personnel. We saw what happened in LA when he didn't have it. We needed a strong offensive coach and A that's not who was hired. I'm not saying it can't or won't work but it's an uphill battle.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a terrible analogy by both of you.

It was ridiculous. Hence the equally ridiculous rebuttal that was being a bit facetious.

Other opinions belong to other posters, but I stand by my take.

This wasn't a "swing for the fences", it was a blind hack... a panic move, with almost no analysis behind it and a total disregard of the consequences.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This wasn't a "swing for the fences", it was a blind hack... a panic move, with almost no analysis behind it and a total disregard of the consequences.

Actually, I borrowed the word "flail" from you in post #634. :cool:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it's pretty clear where everyone stands on their takes.....abundantly.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
10 contracts for the league minimum. That is going to bring in guys like Damien Lee, Josh Okogie, Saben Lee, Ish Wainwright, etc. We can bring 50 of those guys but we aren't winning a title. Every other team in the league can offer the same, as in minimum deals. The Suns aren't a title favorite, they aren't even the favorite to win their division, they aren't attracting a bunch of ring chasers that can contribute on a consistent basis.

We also had a defense first coach and a top defense just 2 years ago. The idea Vogel is going to instill this amazing defense that shuts teams down isn't happening without proper personnel. We saw what happened in LA when he didn't have it. We needed a strong offensive coach and A that's not who was hired. I'm not saying it can't or won't work but it's an uphill battle.
Yep, we are definitely hoping our GM builds the right team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Is Devin Booker Ishbia's guy? Is Ishbia Booker's guy? Hmm.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A small but really underrated benefit of ditching Sarver is that it also extracted Amin Elhassan's annoying ass from our team's daily business.

I happened across him on Twitter and I thought how great it was that we no longer had him publicly dragging our franchise every waking moment of his day.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A small but really underrated benefit of ditching Sarver is that it also extracted Amin Elhassan's annoying ass from our team's daily business.

I happended across him on Twitter and I thought how great it was that we no longer had him publicly dragging our franchise every waking moment of his day.
Ah ha! You are correct sir! I had not noticed that but it is so true.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Love the news of a new food vendor. The club level food looks great but I’ve never bought those tickets. The rest of the arena’s food is pretty bad.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Love the news of a new food vendor. The club level food looks great but I’ve never bought those tickets. The rest of the arena’s food is pretty bad.

I know there's great places to eat around the arena but it was almost a necessity to eat elsewhere because the food in the arena sucked. Not sure who the DBacks/Chase Field has contracts with but I know eating there was always fine, in terms of quality. Not worth complaining over pricing because everyone knows it's overpriced inside any sporting event but good quality items make that an easier pill to swallow.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are not alone. I don't have the time to wait another 50 years.

It's even harder to see the Cardinals go through a likely rebuild at the same time.

Chris Mannix Feb 21, 2023, Sports Illustrated:

Ishbia: I think there is no risk. I don't look at it as a risk at all. I look at it as a vision and a decision. And you go with your decisions and you run with it. It doesn't mean everything's going to work out or that we’re going to win multiple championships and you know it was right. You have to play the games.

However I don't look at it like a risk at all. I know what the vision is. I'm going to own this team for 50 years, so like zero [risk]. I don't need to come in and win in the first year.

Life will be too short for the next rebuild when it comes around. I will probably just have to turn in my NBA fan card and do something else.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose