2023 NBA Playoffs - Other Teams

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. Once he gets this ring wonder what the haters are gonna say

I’m looking at you Perk

As soon as Denver goes up 3-1 or 3-0 Perk will sing Jokic's praises and hail the return of the "big man", while making some pathetic excuse that he hadn't seen Joker against "real competition".

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as Denver goes up 3-1 or 3-0 Perk will sing Jokic's praises and hail the return of the "big man", while making some pathetic excuse that he hadn't seen Joker against "real competition".

Which again goes to how unique Joker is. In a time when lots of teams don't have a traditional big, here's this big slow dude just dominating because he can play the modern NBA game, space the floor etc, AND he can also just get down in the low block and score if needed. And you can run your entire offense through him because he's such a good passer.

There's some discussion on how good of a passer he actually is, there are people I respect who are arguing he's as good a passer as we've ever seen. If you think about it, Magic was amazing but it's "easier" to rack up assists playing in a high octane offense like that. A huger part of Joker's assists are in the halfcourt.

And they made a point last night that can't be emphasized enough, he's so smart, he got a rebound and before his feet landed he'd turned his head and passed the ball ahead to Gordon who started the break. It wasn't even a hockey assist but he does this constantly he moves the ball and in a way that benefits his team. It's not just not being a ball stopper it's making plays that put his team in a better position right away.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which again goes to how unique Joker is. In a time when lots of teams don't have a traditional big, here's this big slow dude just dominating because he can play the modern NBA game, space the floor etc, AND he can also just get down in the low block and score if needed. And you can run your entire offense through him because he's such a good passer.

There's some discussion on how good of a passer he actually is, there are people I respect who are arguing he's as good a passer as we've ever seen. If you think about it, Magic was amazing but it's "easier" to rack up assists playing in a high octane offense like that. A huger part of Joker's assists are in the halfcourt.

And they made a point last night that can't be emphasized enough, he's so smart, he got a rebound and before his feet landed he'd turned his head and passed the ball ahead to Gordon who started the break. It wasn't even a hockey assist but he does this constantly he moves the ball and in a way that benefits his team. It's not just not being a ball stopper it's making plays that put his team in a better position right away.

To use a boxing term I’d say he’s pound for pound the best passer I’ve ever seen.

You have to take into account he’s 7 feet tall. For him to routinely get the rebound and lead the break is crazy to me. That play you mentioned where he gets the rebound and while he’s in the air throws it to Gordon was crazy

He’s the most unique talent I’ve ever seen. He’s 7 feet tall and averaging a triple double in the playoffs. He’s 7 feet tall and shooting 47% from 3 in the playoffs that’s Steph Curry stuff right there. He’s 7 feet tall and leading the playoffs in assist

The two games they lost in Phoenix here had
30/17/17
53/11/4

Crazy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the guys on a UCLA board I frequent made a great point. The only reason Joker didn't get MVP for a 3rd year in a row is "voter fatigue" voters feel like we can't just keep giving it to him. You can argue his first year, Giannis could have won and that would have been HIS 3rd in a row so he may have benefitted a bit from voter fatigue to get his first MVP but it likely cost him #3 in row.

And he's a great guy. After the game they asked him if he was the best player, on the Nuggets, not in the world on his own team. He said I don't know, some times I think I am, some times I think I'm not.

How do not love a guy putting up a triple double nightly in the playoffs and he won't even declare himself the best player on his own team?

At this time last year I thought Memphis was the next team and they completely fell apart, Adams hurt was big but it's basically some of their core, especially Ja and Dillon Brooks, just went completely bat crap crazy. You look at Denver and just doesn't seem even remotely likely for anybody on that roster to become a headcase problem.

As a Warrior fan you look at what we need to do to get better for next year and I almost laugh Denver is SO far ahead of where the Warriors are the answer is essentially you can't do anything. That window closed when Wiseman didn't turn out to fit the system.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also because Denver led basically wire to wire, one point was completely lost. Denver shot TWO FT's in the entire game and won by double digits!

THe argument for Miami is they missed lots of good shots, several good shooters had horrible days they'll get better. The argument for Denver is they didn't get any calls at all and still dominated.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

He’s hands down the smartest player in the league. And I think he has the best touch, both shooting and passing. And it feels like he’s taken this all to another level in the playoffs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
One of the guys on a UCLA board I frequent made a great point. The only reason Joker didn't get MVP for a 3rd year in a row is "voter fatigue" voters feel like we can't just keep giving it to him. You can argue his first year, Giannis could have won and that would have been HIS 3rd in a row so he may have benefitted a bit from voter fatigue to get his first MVP but it likely cost him #3 in row.

And he's a great guy. After the game they asked him if he was the best player, on the Nuggets, not in the world on his own team. He said I don't know, some times I think I am, some times I think I'm not.

How do not love a guy putting up a triple double nightly in the playoffs and he won't even declare himself the best player on his own team?

At this time last year I thought Memphis was the next team and they completely fell apart, Adams hurt was big but it's basically some of their core, especially Ja and Dillon Brooks, just went completely bat crap crazy. You look at Denver and just doesn't seem even remotely likely for anybody on that roster to become a headcase problem.

As a Warrior fan you look at what we need to do to get better for next year and I almost laugh Denver is SO far ahead of where the Warriors are the answer is essentially you can't do anything. That window closed when Wiseman didn't turn out to fit the system.
Honestly I think the weak point for Denver is Malone. But they won’t jettison him bc he’s going to their first championship. But they kept letting the heat back into the game because of multiple trips down the floor without jokic getting a touch. That’s idiotic. And that’s on the coach.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also because Denver led basically wire to wire, one point was completely lost. Denver shot TWO FT's in the entire game and won by double digits!

THe argument for Miami is they missed lots of good shots, several good shooters had horrible days they'll get better. The argument for Denver is they didn't get any calls at all and still dominated.
Ah, no. Denver shot 20 free throws. Miami only shot 2.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He’s hands down the smartest player in the league. And I think he has the best touch, both shooting and passing. And it feels like he’s taken this all to another level in the playoffs.
And he is capable of big minutes, thanks to his conditioning. He somehow doesn't look like he is in shape, but by all accounts he is.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
To use a boxing term I’d say he’s pound for pound the best passer I’ve ever seen.

You have to take into account he’s 7 feet tall. For him to routinely get the rebound and lead the break is crazy to me. That play you mentioned where he gets the rebound and while he’s in the air throws it to Gordon was crazy

He’s the most unique talent I’ve ever seen. He’s 7 feet tall and averaging a triple double in the playoffs. He’s 7 feet tall and shooting 47% from 3 in the playoffs that’s Steph Curry stuff right there. He’s 7 feet tall and leading the playoffs in assist

The two games they lost in Phoenix here had
30/17/17
53/11/4

Crazy
IDK, quadruple doubles by Hakeem Olajuwon made him pretty unique. :)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It took me awhile for me to come around abound about Jokic because he doesn't look the part but he is legit.

And many thought Doncic was the next great player.

Watching Jokic lead the fast break at his size is amazing.

Joker finished 3rd in the league in assist.

He’s shooting 47% from 3 in the playoffs.

Insane

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hakeem was a great center. Period. No doubt about it.

I will point out that Jokic could be a better defensive center if he didn't have to do so many things for the Nuggets including running their offense.

He simply can't afford to foul much because he is so important to the team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I will point out that Jokic could be a better defensive center if he didn't have to do so many things for the Nuggets including running their offense.

No matter how much attention he paid to defense he would never be the defender that olajawon was. He doesn’t have the basic athleticism that Hakeem possessed in the terms footspeed, lateral movements and jumping ability. But he does have quick hands like Hakeem.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Hakeem came too early whereas guys like Shaq and Duncan were perfect for their era. Olajuwon today running the floor and handling the ball, switching and protecting the rim would be like Anthony Davis with elite drive and durability.