Cardinals announce they have released Hopkins - Signed with Titans

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Isnt that what you should do tho? Hold out for the highest compensation. We all thought Nuk should get us a 2nd or 3rd. If Monti would of settled for 6th rd pick by draft we would of all wanted Monti gone. Holdout for the highest compensation if no one bites lower your asking price. If its a 6th rd pick or cap space. Take the cap space atleast with cap space you can get a guaranteed starter. A 6th rd pick becoming a starter is what 20% chance of happening.
This could be the worlds worst lesson in negotiating.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the numbers. If we could get two young players for that number, however, it makes Monti an even bigger FA choker for not securing some of the talent out there for our team's future.
None of that changes what you stated. I guess I didn't know the game was to spin everything to where our FO are idiots. You wanted to spend say 9 mil to get a third round pick when I just showed you that can equate to two starters.

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
This could be the worlds worst lesson in negotiating.
So when negotiating you always start at wanting the lowest compensation. Is that what your saying? Ive never heard of someone selling something they deem high quality product for cheap price, in the business world.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For three years under a GM who got fired?
How is this relevant to Monti's capabilities?
And he didn't get an interview to move up?
This happens when a team wants to go a new direction.
Even Adrian Wilson got an interview in this job.
Rooney rule and a franchise icon.
Monti was so experienced in the role one of the first things he did after getting the job was tamper.
Self reported. The team's communications will definitely be looked at during the McDonough investigation. Connect the dots here. People only self report when they know they will probably get caught. Just more evidence of how Bidwills incompetence screws the team.
The only real reporting on the Hopkins release is the Albert Breer report that's been aggregated multiple times and reposted here like there's new reporting. Here's the quote:
Ok. Kerouac is right and Breer is wrong. Breer has inside sources, who do you have?
All that's left is Hopkins slander.
LOL Hopkins has done enough to deserve what he gets.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Still not signed Deandre? Super duper star? Interesting...

You must be registered for see images attach
It makes the "Criticize the Cardinals At All Cost" crowd look ridiculous.

The Cardinals were foolish to think they were getting anything of real value from Hopkins. I can say that now, in retrospect.

But to criticize them for not eating salary for another team and missing out on a day three pick is ridiculous. It makes no sense.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
Still not signed Deandre? Super duper star? Interesting...

You must be registered for see images attach
Because Hopkins is trying to find a deal in June it means he is a bad football player? Whoever signs Hopkins is going to get better. The Cardinals got worse.

Let's remember the ultimate goal of any front office is to win. The Cardinals gambled that they could hold out and get a better deal and they failed. We lost a talented football player and got nothing in return. I understand why they did it and I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but let's not kid ourselves in thinking this is some kind of win for the football team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So when negotiating you always start at wanting the lowest compensation. Is that what your saying? Ive never heard of someone selling something they deem high quality product for cheap price, in the business world.
You literally just espoused starting high and running a negotiation into giving your asset away for free. What do you want me to tell ya?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's a lottery pick.

Would you pay $1000 for a lottery pick? Thats the absurd argument we are reading here.
Okay, so Ossi is pinning our starting center spot on a “lottery pick” and Frodo the 3 Game Center other lottery pick. Just trying to track your thinking across multiple threads.

PS - it’s not my money.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You think a fifth round pick is worth $9 million in cap space or whatever the amount was? That's just another deranged attempt to criticize the Cardinals at all cost.
What if the cost was $4? And it could’ve been a 4th? You’re playing “make up the unknown stakes.”

And all this ignores what they may have gotten if they held onto him and a contender loses a receiver, which happens frequently. Yeah there are holding costa, but there are always pluses and minuses and gambles.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What if the cost was $4? And it could’ve been a 4th? You’re playing “make up the unknown stakes.”
Now you're spinning the argument into absurdity to make a point that isn't supported by.... anything.
And all this ignores what they may have gotten if they held onto him and a contender loses a receiver, which happens frequently. Yeah there are holding costa, but there are always pluses and minuses and gambles.
And then they take the cap hit spread out over next year too.

In my view the Cardinals had three legit choices:

1) trade Hopkins for a later round pick and pay a substantial part of his salary, either now or later in the year.

2) Keep Hopkins...which hurts next year's cap...and keep his distractions of constantly talking about leaving and playing for other teams.

3) Cut him and get the cap benefit next year.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because Hopkins is trying to find a deal in June it means he is a bad football player? Whoever signs Hopkins is going to get better. The Cardinals got worse.

Let's remember the ultimate goal of any front office is to win. The Cardinals gambled that they could hold out and get a better deal and they failed. We lost a talented football player and got nothing in return. I understand why they did it and I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but let's not kid ourselves in thinking this is some kind of win for the football team.
I don’t agree, it’s an entertainment business. The goal is to generate a reasonable margin of profit first and foremost. Second is growing the business and maintaining a good profit margin for the investors.

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
You literally just espoused starting high and running a negotiation into giving your asset away for free. What do you want me to tell ya?
I mean you can only negotiate what the market allows you to. From Nuk still chilling out there and not every team running to his services its not that big of a market.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
None of that changes what you stated. I guess I didn't know the game was to spin everything to where our FO are idiots. You wanted to spend say 9 mil to get a third round pick when I just showed you that can equate to two starters.
9 mill or 9 mill in cap space? Also, you told me; you didn't show me. I'm not questioning your veracity, just asking for the link.

Stout

Reaction score
It makes the "Criticize the Cardinals At All Cost" crowd look ridiculous.

The Cardinals were foolish to think they were getting anything of real value from Hopkins. I can say that now, in retrospect.

But to criticize them for not eating salary for another team and missing out on a day three pick is ridiculous. It makes no sense.
The "defend the cardinals at all costs" crowd looks ridiculous, none more so than with this post. It's been less than a week, but because Nuk hasn't been signed to a big-money contract in...checks calendar...less than a week during the...checks calendar again...time of the year when teams don't have a lot of cap space, "It makes the 'criticize the cardinals at all costs' crowd look ridiculous." Yeah, logic fail there. Massively. Nuk probably won't sign for quite a while until he realizes his pie-in-the-sky demands won't be met.

This is just an inflammatory statement because you know it isn't true. You just want to be contrary. I should know; I'm often a contrarian. So, you aren't in that "defend the cards at all costs" crowd, although you're gleefully fanning the flames. Which is worse than simply having an honest opinion and stating it without insulting whole swathes of the board.

Stout

Reaction score
I mean you can only negotiate what the market allows you to. From Nuk still chilling out there and not every team running to his services its not that big of a market.
Now. It's not that big of a market now, because the market has been flooded and reset by FA and the draft. Monti had his chance to realize he wasn't getting top trade value for Nuk and he didn't react in a timely manner. He fumbled the situation and got nothing in return.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose